website statistics

Today is our national holiday, St.Patrick’s Day. Each city, town and village will have their own parade today to celebrate. I will be going to my local parade at 3pm :) 

The Dublin City parade is starting now if anyone is interested to watch:

https://www.rte.ie/player/onnow/66546216066

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread
Posted
4 hours ago, vinipereira said:

I'm quite late, but I was sad to hear of the passing of Sara Tavares, Portugal's representative at Eurovision in 1994 (one of my favorite performances ever).

That’s so sad, she was so young here too. I loved that performance as well, one of my favourite also.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

12 hours ago, hckošice said:

Yes, I checked on the web and found it. Apparently there a lot of pigeons who simply lost the way back home or are too exhausted or injured.

People should write their code (in the red ring) on this page specially made for lost racing pigeons there plenty of pigeons listed there last few days not only from SVK but also :POL :HUN :ROU :CZE etc... :yikes:

my issue is I can not write the code since I do not know how to catch that pigeon,:p I read that apparently the easiest way is to throw a towel on it and then quickly read the code. Yeah, well, I don´t know, I´m afraid I´ll hurt him, so not going to do that :lol: I hope he´s just exhausted from the long flight and will soon regain his strength and fly back home alone

@hckošice frantically reading the Dick Dastardly guide on how to catch pigeons :d 

flying up in the air GIF by Boomerang Official

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
2 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Just a few weeks ago I watched a documentary on Czech TV from Malta and they showed that daily Saluting Battery ceremony, was interesting. Also announcer´s joke how Malta is nowadays the only EU country where cars drive on the wrong (left) side :d

Not the only one. I’ll let you guess which other country also drives on the left :p 

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2023
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Bearas said:

I'm so glad :SWE won:

1) Best song this year

2) It wasn't an old man in a diaper

3) Now that Loreen also have two victories, we won't have to see Johnny Logan every year in Eurovision history recaps!!!!

4) Now that Sweden have 7 victories, we won't have to see all Irish winner every year in Eurovision history recaps!!! (additional bonus: no more jokes that Logan won thrice, out of which one was in drag (1992))

Johnny Logan did technically win 3 times since he was the writer of the 1992 winning song. 

Edited by OlympicIRL

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread
Posted

I didn't have a final shortlist this year like I normally do but nevertheless, these are some of the songs that missed out on the Irish TAISC selection:

Dermot Kennedy - Kiss Me

Moncrieff - Perfect

CMAT - Every Bottle Is My Boyfriend

Cian Ducrot - I'll Be Waiting

Picture This - Get On My Love

9 minutes ago, rybak said:

Band Wild Youth with song "We are one" is winner of :IRL selections.

@OlympicIRL surely isn't happy of this outcome, as me as well...

To be honest, I am long past caring about Eurovision or what Ireland sends. I've really tried to be interested in Eurovision in recent years but I think I am getting too old to find anything musically that I enjoy in it and I dislike RTÉ so much that I just can't watch their farcical TV productions (not just talking about Eurosong, I mean in general).

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2023
Posted

I'm not sure if there is a Junior Eurovision thread so decided to post this here. My friend is visiting me in Donegal so I am showing him around and one of the places I brought him to today was Fanad Lighthouse. We got a tour of the lighthouse and the guide told us that last week the Junior Eurovision entry filmed the video for the song there last week. So as soon as I got home I thought to check it out.... it's cool to see the location in the video where I was exactly today. I thought @rybak might be interested by this fact :d

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
5 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

Devastating news unfolding in my home place of Donegal. A nearby village from my workplace suffered a heartbreaking tragedy yesterday as an explosion at a petrol station has claimed the lives of 7 people already with many more still missing and many critical in hospital :cry:

As I was leaving work yesterday afternoon I saw lots of emergency services travelling with sirens and I had wondered what on Earth was happening as I saw them travelling. I was shocked later to hear what had happened.

Creeslough is a small village with a population of just 400 and I can’t even imagine how things will ever go back to normal there. This was the centre of the village, the only shop but it was also the location of the post office, hairdresser, agricultural store and contained apartments. It happened just after 3pm when the local schools had finished for the day and old people also were coming to collect their pension.

Thoughts and prayers to all the victims and their families :cry:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63183510.amp

Number of dead has now risen to 10 including 3 children. The youngest casualty is a young girl and her father who stopped off to buy some sweets as a Friday treat after school finished for the week :cry:

No one else is unaccounted for at the scene so they don’t expect to find any more victims at the location. There are a further 8 people transported to hospital, one of whom was transferred to Dublin and is believed to be in critical condition. 

It is also believed that all victims are local. An unbelievable tragedy for this small community.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted (edited)

Devastating news unfolding in my home place of Donegal. A nearby village from my workplace suffered a heartbreaking tragedy yesterday as an explosion at a petrol station has claimed the lives of 7 people already with many more still missing and many critical in hospital :cry:

As I was leaving work yesterday afternoon I saw lots of emergency services travelling with sirens and I had wondered what on Earth was happening as I saw them travelling. I was shocked later to hear what had happened.

Creeslough is a small village with a population of just 400 and I can’t even imagine how things will ever go back to normal there. This was the centre of the village, the only shop but it was also the location of the post office, hairdresser, agricultural store and contained apartments. It happened just after 3pm when the local schools had finished for the day and old people also were coming to collect their pension.

Thoughts and prayers to all the victims and their families :cry:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63183510.amp

Edited by OlympicIRL