website statistics
11 minutes ago, MHSN said:

out of 16 QF races. 14 of them had won by the skier on the blue course :facepalm: and those other 2 races finished by DNF.

teams should put their best skiers for the blue course. Switzerland made a big mistake here by not using Holdner first.

USA announcers say Shiffrin on red course is a strategic move.  And that she will have to go all out to win on red course.

10 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I am happy that Germany made the semifinal, but if Switzerland would have competed with their best team they probably would have won.

On paper it should be gold for Austria, silver for USA and bronze for Germany. Too bad that Dürr will race against Shiffrin, would have been better for her to face Moltzan.

It was USA's choice, as the higher seeded team.  Germany put up Duerr first, USA countered with Shiffrin.

25 minutes ago, NearPup said:

The USA commentator keeps insisting that :CAN won the Ro16 matchup and I find it really annoying.

(To clarify for the non-Americans, USA is a cable network)

They finally got it right without acknowledging their error.  Porino should be better than this. (And he can't keep Slovenia and Slovakia straight.)

Also, a nit that I've had throughout the Games - Yes, Wendy Holdener has never won a slalom, and they talk about what she is missing, but that can't seem to say it or don't know that Holdener has an Olympic gold medal from this event.  

11 minutes ago, dcro said:

I meant in general, the scheduling.

Team event getting scheduled as the final event both here and in Pyeongchang is too anticlimactic.

Interesting argument.  Some think the team figure skating team event should also be done last.  But it's surely done first becaus USA/NBC TV needs some figure skating to fill up the first two nights of broadcasts before the Opening Ceremony.

31 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Women’s snowboard slopestyle in 2018 didn’t have qualifying. What would have been qualifying was used as a (farcical) final instead.

That event was about like the halfpipe tonight. Not a lot of clean runs.

News Flash  Team Event will be held tomorrow at 9:00 local

23 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Not to my knowledge, but I have a better grasp of Winter Olympic history than of Summer Olympic history.  

1932 Equestrian Team Jumping was cancelled but not because of weather.  To explain, it was held simultaneously with Individual, but no team completed the event with the required number of riders so no medals were awarded.

20 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Huh, "Competition delayed due to weather - Competition will not start before 04.00 CET"

Yeah ok, but 04.00 was already the scheduled time so...so what :p

They had moved it up to 10 local time, but then they delayed 1 hour off the revised start time, so we are back to the original start time.  And it's pretty blustery out there.

3 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Is it normal to compete in this almost blind situation for Alpine Skiing? Other skiing events almost all postponed.

10 DNFs out of 31.  If it was a normal WC race, it would likely be canceled.  They have an open day tomorrow, seems like could have run it on Monday.

Maybe they will come to their senses and do the same as was done for women’s GS in. 2010.

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Brignone & Bassino would have to DNF for starters which isn't impossible. Getting by Hector, Shiffrin, Vlhova and Worley if they all finish seems improbable but you never know.

3 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

And Lara Gut will be there as well!!! 

And Alice Robinson.

Alpine Skiing FIS World Cup 2021 - 2022
Posted
On 1/11/2022 at 9:24 PM, Monzanator said:

Common sense would suggest Shiffrin & Vlhova have two OG medals locked up but you never know with these one-off courses. I won't be surprised if someone else comes to win totally from the left-field in Beijing.

Chances of Liensberger getting hot are maybe smaller compared to last season?

If it's anyone else now, I'd bet on Holdener.  She had 2 great first runs in the last 2 races.   Plus, what a story it would be if she finally won her first slalom.     

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Look, Petra started out with a bang and then tailed right off to the point she underperformed at the Worlds and had to rely on favorable Lenzerheide to fend off Lara Gut's challenge for the overall. It's obvious she can't handle running all the races physically and she can't risk another poor showing at the Olympics which are the main focus. If Magoni is responsible for pushing her to do the speed races and all that it's no wonder she had enough of him. I suppose she goes back to doing tech races only from next season. She looks so upset with those silver medals in Cortina I think she targets golds & golds only in Beijing.

The US State Department today gave its strongest hint yet that they are going to make Petra's path to gold a heck of a lot easier, and she will only have to worry about beating Liensberger. 

2022 Beijing Olympics: U.S. considering joining boycott, state department says (cnbc.com)