website statistics
4 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Yes, Beijing choosed not to add any new sport.

There are very little to chose from anyway, the only 3 recognized winter federations not already present at the winter games being : Ski Mountaineering, Bandy and Climbing (ice climbing). 

Interesting. Hoping that Norway gets the Olympics at some point so that we can get ski flying. 

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process
Posted (edited)
On 23/01/2019 at 20:05, intoronto said:

If Sweden wins in 2026, highly unlikely the IOC chooses Norway for 2030 (and that is if they survive till the vote).

They have awarded two games to East Asia in a row now. So I hope they can do the same to Scandinavia .

The biggest threat to a norwegian game is Norway itself , a olympic event dosen't have widespread support sadly. 

Edited by Skijumpingmaster

Posted (edited)

Norway is considering to apply for 2030 olympics . The counties of Trøndelag , Telemark , Oppland and Hordaland wants have the olympics . Rogaland might also join.

If they get the government and stuff on board then Norway might apply. 

It will be a decentralized game with the events spread out on the various counties. 

It was mentioned having cross country in Trondheim , alpine skiing on Lillehammer , ice sports in Bergen and freestyle events on Voss. There's also talk of including a ski flying event in Vikersund.

IOC member Gerhard Heiberg said that in the future host nations might include new events that fits with that nation's games . Int that case Norway might include Telemark , ski orientering , bandy and dog sled racing. 

Lillehammer wanted to apply for 2026 games , but it didn't get support. 

2 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

He must be refering to the additional sports from Agenda 2020 that have been inaugurated with Tokyo 2020 right ? If so, this is only about news sports from new - recognised - federations.

Or, it's something new entirelly, and then I'm out.

I think it's something entierly new. He said the IOC wanted to make the olympics more suitable to more countries , and that apparently included the host nation adding five sports to their games. 

Heiberg said this to norwegian newspapers. 

I'm not 100% sure though. 

15 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Heum...

Neither Ski Flying nor Telemark are new sports, but would be new disciplines inside an allready existing sport (skiing). It's not up to the host to propose that, but up to FIS. Dog sled racing is not recognised by the IOC and can't be proposed. That leaves only Bandy and possibly ski orienteering (Orientering is a recognised sport, but I don't know if goes for only summer orienteering or to skii orienteering as well). 

Ski flying would be a discipline yes , but telemark would be a new sport in the olympics. 

Norwegian IOC member Gerhard Heiberg has said that in the future host nations could get the ability to propose five new sports/events/disciplines. Heiberg then proposed ski flying , telemark , dog sled , ski orinenteering and bandy. 

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

I like Lillehammer, but I don't get why they wouldn't host snowboarding, freestyle and ice hockey when they have perfectly good venues for that...

Not sure tbh. Sounds like they really like the idea of including other cities , So I guess that could be one of the reasons. 

Lillehammer is ready to bid for 2026 , they just need the approval of the government. 

They are talking about having a cheap olympic game , around 20.billions norwegian kroner. IOC will apparently give 10 billions to the host nation. 

The games will be spread all over Norway . 

- Cross country skiing , biathlon , alpine skiing and track events at Lillehammer.

- Speed skating at Hamar

- Ice hockey in Stavanger and Oslo

- Snowboard and freestyle at Voss

The host nation might get the ability to include 5 sports to the program . The people behind the Lillehammer bid talks about: Ski flying , bandy , dog sled racing , telemark and ski orinenteering. 

If this is the case then Finnmark in northern Norway will host the dog sled racing. 

The interesting part is that they consider include the RAW air ski jumping competition in the olympic program. Then there will be olympic ski jumping in Lillehammer , Oslo , Vikersund and Trondheim. 

Posted (edited)

Stockholm is close to bid for the 2026 games. They have most venues, so the games would be  relatively cheap. 

If Sweden gets the games the sports will be spread around the country. Alpine skiing , freestyle and snowboard in Åre  and ski jumping and nordic combined in Falun. 

Ice sports and apparently cross country will be in Stockholm. 

They are considering having bobsleigh , luge and skeleton on Lillehammer in Norway. Latvia and Germany are also options for those events. Apparently Latvia is interested in collaborating with Sweden on the 2026 games.

I'm very positive towards a swedish winter olympic games. If there's a country who deserves having the WO it's Sweden . 

Edit: Biathlon will be in Stockholm. 

Posted
23 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Are there many downsides to have widepsread olympics anyway ? Maybe some hidden costs (transport, security), but still a lot less than to the cost of builiding new specific facillities.

I have nothing against a widespread olympics. Imo the olympics should become more widespread. As you said it will be less expansive, no need to build a new ski jumping hill when you have one in the neighbour city for example. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nate River said:

I am still really in Sion's corner, I think Switzerland is super overdue to host another winter games (...and I really want to see Olympic sliding sports at St. Moritz in my lifetime), but at this point any Western European or Scandinavian country hosting would do the IOC a world of good.

...though if Calgary wins, eh, won't be mad.

Agree. I am norwegian and wants another olympics eventually. But Switzerland hasn't hosted since 1948  , and as one of the big winter sports nations they really deserve a new olympics. 

Posted (edited)

The city council of Lillehammer is moving on with their plans. They are considering working together with Oslo , Bergen , Stavanger and Trondheim , which will be a very widespread olympics.

Now it depends on the government. They didn't back the Oslo 2022 bid because of IOC extreme demands. Maybe they will back Lillehammer , as it will not be as expansive as proposed Oslo games. 

The norwegian population is split on the topic. A lot of us does not want a norwegian olympics right now.

Norwegian IOC member Gerhard Heiberg is positive on another Lillehammer olympics.