website statistics

Equestrian Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

dcro

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Awful.

Kasheer was NOT allowed to be competed this weekend (mandatory rest period of 10 days). Curious how Usman Khan started ignoring this mandatory rest rule only after his qualification became mathematically impossible. I'm sure he knew exactly what he was doing.

FEI takes equal blame, as they were supposed to monitor all entries "for the welfare of the horse" (their own words).

Hopefully a lengthy ban coming for the Pakistani rider (and this Frederique Reffet person).

What a mess. :facepalm:

I read there was no safety pin system which contributed to the accident. The horse tragically broke his neck after hitting the fence. 

I don't understand equestrian much but aren't there safety measures in these events

https://www.geosuper.tv/latest/8610-usman-khan-critically-injured-after-horse-dies-in-olympic-qualifier

29 minutes ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

I read there was no safety pin system which contributed to the accident. The horse tragically broke his neck after hitting the fence. 

I don't understand equestrian much but aren't there safety measures in these events

https://www.geosuper.tv/latest/8610-usman-khan-critically-injured-after-horse-dies-in-olympic-qualifier

Thanks. What a bizarre article.

Khan critically injured? But discharged from the hospital on the same day? Though, judging by some of his statements in this article, he should have been held for further examinations...

Even if he finished though, he still would not have qualified as he was in breach of the rules by competing at consecutive weekends. I am sure he was well aware of that, but tried to cheat his way anyway and hope nobody would notice.

p.s. Safety pins are still a developing technology. They are widespread at higher level events, but not so much at smaller shows like Naracoorte. They are designed to prevent the rotational falls, which have been the cause of most tragic accidents (like indeed this one).

p.p.s. Even still, per rules, Kasheer was not allowed to start cross-country this weekend. Mandatory rest rules are there exactly to prevent desperate qualifying attempts. Someone should be held responsible. It was easily preventable.

#banbestmen

I don’t think Khan thought no one would notice. It must be more of a case of him trying to play victim by claiming later that FEI prevented him from going to Olympics on a technicality. 

Host organisers, FEI and Khan all have to share the blame. Most likely Khan would be banned for some time. FEI  would impose some fine on organisers but who would punish FEI? 

4 minutes ago, Dolby said:

I don’t think Khan thought no one would notice. It must be more of a case of him trying to play victim by claiming later that FEI prevented him from going to Olympics on a technicality. 

Host organisers, FEI and Khan all have to share the blame. Most likely Khan would be banned for some time. FEI  would impose some fine on organisers but who would punish FEI? 

That is certainly possible as well. He seems to be selling a lot of information to Pakistani people anyway.

But I don't think blame should be put on the event organizers (unless they failed to inform FEI of the entries, entered Khan on their own discretion, or something of that sort).

Just running an event is challenging enough without keeping tabs on the background of each athlete. Especially since FEI took it upon themselves to monitor entries at higher levels and inform all parties concerned (according to that document).

#banbestmen

This man is cuckoo pants. Apparently he now hopes to catch (i.e. acquire, lease or borrow) a 4*-ready horse and qualify last minute. :hairpull:

https://www.geosuper.tv/amp/8613-im-alive-and-so-is-pakistans-olympic-dream-says-injured-usman-khan

Luckily, this is all just nonsense talk...

First things first. Nationality transfer period for horses ended on January 15th. So, unless there was a Pakistani-owned, 4*-ready horse just lying around this whole time (answer: there is not), it's over...

And even if the whole nationality thing was in order... He would basically need to start in Europe next week (Houghton Hall or Baborowko), and then rush to Melbourne for the long format two weeks later... Pretty sure the entries are closed for next week, and quarantine laws would make competing in Melbourne impossible...

Quintessential case of a small time athlete from a marginal sport deceiving his country's media.

#banbestmen

Sadly, :ZIM Camilla Kruger is still not appearing on entry lists for the forthcoming events. It's probably some injury, so I'm afraid no Tokyo for her. :(

Same goes for :CHI Carlos Lobos, but that was to be expected with the events in Quillota not getting approved.

Therefore, more likely than not, :ECU Ecuador and :AUT Austria will be stepping in for reallocations...

#banbestmen

Short-list for the :GBR British eventing team... Really curious how nobody got listed with more than one horse (except Townend, potentially).

Anyway, good luck to anyone trying to select the best 3 out of these. My feeling is that, since there are too many contenders, the final selection will certainly be 'wrong'. :whistle:

Nominated entries, listed in alphabetical order by athlete surname:

1. Rosalind Canter (35) based in Hallington, Lincolnshire, with Caroline Moore and her own Allstar B (bay, gelding, 16yrs, 17hh, Ephebe For Ever x Erkstein, Breeder: FAJ Van der Burg NED)

2. Laura Collett (31) based in Salperton, Gloucestershire, with Karen Bartlett, Keith Scott and her own London 52 (bay, gelding, 12yrs, 16.3hh, Landos x Quinar, Breeder: Ocke Riewerts GER)

3. Pippa Funnell (52) based in Dorking, Surrey, with Marek Sebestak and her own Majas Hope (bay, gelding, 14yrs, 16.1hh, Porter Rhodes x Flagmount King, Breeder: Jack Murphy IRL)

4, Kitty King (38) based in Chippenham, Wiltshire, with Diana Bown, Sally Eyre, Samantha Wilson and Sally Lloyd-Baker’s Vendredi Biats (grey, gelding, 12yrs, 16.2hh, Winningmood x Camelia de Ruelles, Breeder: Phillipe Brivois FRA)

5. Piggy March (40) based in Maidwell, Northamptonshire, with John and Chloe Perry and Alison Swinburn’s Brookfield Inocent (bay, gelding, 12yrs, 16.3hh, Inocent x Kings Servant, Breeder: John Mulvey IRL)

6. Tom McEwen (30) based in Stroud, Gloucestershire, with Fred and Penny Barker, Jane Inns and Ali McEwen’s Toledo de Kerser (bay, gelding, 14yrs, 16.1hh, Diamant de Semilly x Papillon Rouge, Breeder: Kerstin Drevet FRA)

7. Harry Meade (37) based in West Littleton, Wiltshire, with Mandy Gray and his own Superstition (bay, gelding, 12yrs, 16.1hh, s. Satisfaction FRH, Breeder: Eva Meier GBR)

8. Oliver Townend (38) based in Ellesmere, Shropshire, with Karyn Schuter, Angela Hislop and Val Ryan’s Ballaghmor Class (grey, gelding, 14yo, 16.2hh, s. Courage II, Breeder: Noel Hicky IRL)

9. Nicola Wilson (44) based in Northallerton, North Yorkshire, with James and Jo Lambert’s Bulana (black, mare, 15yrs, 16.3hh, Tygo x Furore, Breeder: S van Dellen NED)

Reserve nominated entries, listed in alphabetical order by athlete surname:

1. Sarah Bullimore (48) based in Keysoe, Bedfordshire, with the Kew Jumping Syndicate, Brett Bullimore and her own Corouet (chestnut, gelding, 10yrs, 15.2hh, Balou du Rouet x Lovis Corinth, Breeder: Sarah Bullimore GBR)

2. Ben Hobday (33) based in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, with Jane Chamber’s and his own Shadow Man (chestnut, gelding, 11yrs, 17hh, Fidjy of Colors x Winningmood van de Arenberg, BEL)

And subject to successfully completing a confirmation event,

3. Oliver Townend (38) based in Ellesmere, Shropshire, with Angela Hislop’s Cooley Master Class (bay, gelding, 16yrs, 16.2hh, Ramiro B x Master Imp, Breeder: John Hagan IRL)

#banbestmen

Looking at the events to come, I don't think :UKR Oleksandr Prodan will be competing anywhere before Babolna CSI-W (10-13 June) and probably Olomouc CSI-W (17-20 June), just before the cut-off date.

At any rate, neither him nor any other Ukrainian rider are entered to compete this week. Same goes for the next week, for now...

In eventing, this week's competition in Baborowko will probably decide everything... Especially since :ZIM Camilla Kruger is nowhere to be seen (and the odds of her reappearance are becoming increasingly unlikely by the day...).

As for dressage, :BER Collins had a shockingly poor weekend competition in Portugal. No MER, sadly. Back to the drawing board before Ornago (June 3-6).

#banbestmen