website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

5 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

I agree it is really stupid of him ................ The question in sports is not your feeling but working with the best possible players available to ensure that you can WIN  ..... his best chance is obviously Lee ........lee is the best ranked player in mens doubles available , lee is a great heart player , he plays with his heart and this will be his last olympic so he will put in his best ( remember he won a singles medal ranked 70th or so ) ............... Are we saying that purav raja is better than paes :facepalm:....... bhupathi for all his greatness is now retired and is ranked 160th .... if Bopanna wants to be a tourist - thats his choice ...maybe he can relax on the beach but he has a snowballs chance in hell to win a medal without lee and as a sports fan I will not be respecting him if he chooses any one but lee ....................

Calm down guys, its just a political statement. Bopanna is doing essentially what Paes did before London.

In 2012, Paes got himself in a position where he could say "Since Bhupathi is being sent to London and no disciplinary action is being taken against him despite him refusing to partner me, at least let me, the highest ranked player, partner Sania. Lets not doubly reward Bhupathi with the XD slot as well".

Bopanna is now laying the ground-work to say "I can go with whoever I want but Paes can only go with me. So I'll take him, but only if he doesn't take away MY XD spot, which is mine as per the rankings".

Paes made a big deal about being the highest ranked Indian, despite Bhupathi/Sania having just won a slam. Now its Bopanna's turn to use his ranking, despite Paes just winning a slam / finishing runner-up.

Edited by kapil857