website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

With Kanye West announcing his intentions to run for President the reputation of the office has taken even a bigger hit. In 50 years time I won't be surprised if some celebrities will indeed be elected full-time which would only serve their brand and definitely not the people. Right now Trump is only a one-off but come 2060 this could be a new norm. People don't trust lifelong politicians anymore and I don't see this changing anytime soon. The only way the likes of West or other celebs rising to power is stopped is for the party politics to repeal them with all their might and finances. Lobbyists and financial backers believe they can control any politician. They can't control Trump and they wouldn't be able to control West or any other rapper/actor who might fancy running in the future.

39 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

With Kanye West announcing his intentions to run for President the reputation of the office has taken even a bigger hit. In 50 years time I won't be surprised if some celebrities will indeed be elected full-time which would only serve their brand and definitely not the people. Right now Trump is only a one-off but come 2060 this could be a new norm. People don't trust lifelong politicians anymore and I don't see this changing anytime soon. The only way the likes of West or other celebs rising to power is stopped is for the party politics to repeal them with all their might and finances. Lobbyists and financial backers believe they can control any politician. They can't control Trump and they wouldn't be able to control West or any other rapper/actor who might fancy running in the future.

Though I do in no way feel certain about it, I really think you're seeing too much in Kanye West's candidacy. It could just as well be the death of such candidacies. Dan Bilzarian announced his candidacy 4 years ago, but wasn't on the ballot. Considering that few celebreties who are as narcissistic as Kanye, I'm not so sure that a candidacy that by all means won't go far will end up meaning that much. Sure it's a major blow for the democracy that we see such an unserious candidacy, but before he's on the ballot and actually get a decent number of votes, I personally don't see it as much more than what we've seen from the likes of Vermin Supreme.

We'll have to wait and see, but it honestly feels like he gets much more attention than he deserves.

8 minutes ago, Agger said:

Though I do in no way feel certain about it, I really think you're seeing too much in Kanye West's candidacy. It could just as well be the death of such candidacies. Dan Bilzarian announced his candidacy 4 years ago, but wasn't on the ballot. Considering that few celebreties who are as narcissistic as Kanye, I'm not so sure that a candidacy that by all means won't go far will end up meaning that much. Sure it's a major blow for the democracy that we see such an unserious candidacy, but before he's on the ballot and actually get a decent number of votes, I personally don't see it as much more than what we've seen from the likes of Vermin Supreme.

We'll have to wait and see, but it honestly feels like he gets much more attention than he deserves.

West would be a flameout in the blocks but what if LeBron James says he wants to run for President? I can totally see that happen in the 2030s tbh. Athletes are egoists too but people view them in more positive way than some trash-talking rappers.

Isn't the whole Kanye West thing just an attempt to support Trump?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Isn't the whole Kanye West thing just an attempt to support Trump?

Probably.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Hong Kong is no longer Hong Kong, China. It is Hong Kong, People’s Republic of China. The IOC should throw out their NOC.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Vojthas said:

It is something like 49,5 % of People, 49,5 % of China and somewhere about 1% of Republic. Although, there might be more of "of" than of Republic in that country.

Bottom line is, China is the second biggest global economy in the world. Communists have mastered how to play the capitallist game which is even more impressive if you consider Mao's tenure dragged them even lower than the Soviet Union's communism. Nobody's gonna die to keep democracy in Hong Kong :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Bottom line is, China is the second biggest global economy in the world. Communists have mastered how to play the capitallist game which is even more impressive if you consider Mao's tenure dragged them even lower than the Soviet Union's communism. Nobody's gonna die to keep democracy in Hong Kong :dunno:

Except the people of Hong Kong who the world will turn their back on.