website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Not looking great for the EU and Labour in the UK General Elections. I wouldn’t count this as a populist victory, but an actual conservative victory. Brexit will almost certainly happen if the exit polls are to be believed. LAB through it away by not sacking Corbyn in my opinion. I agree with political pundits that Scotland will move for more independence after they once again vote the complete opposite of rest of the nation. SNP will have a good sized voice in Parliament either way for the time being. I have no clue what will happen in regards to the Northern Ireland issue. Also be interesting to see if Wales begins to move independence if Scotland goes independent and rejoins the EU.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The thing that really perplexes me is that the UK has always (at least in modern times) been the land of reasoned decisions. The popularity of Brexit shows just how strong the far-right is currently. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Corbyn has been an absolute fraud. Sitting on the Brexit fence just blew up in his face big time. If Boris frickin Johnson leads Tory to their biggest win in 30 years and Labour has its worse result since 1935 (like reported by the BBC) then Corbyn should be shot to the moon first thing in the morning :lol:

Some seats held by Labour since the proverbial forever have been gained by Tories. Leigh (since 1922), Stoke-on-Trent (since 1950) and Blyth Valley (since 1950). Neither of these constituencies have ever voted Tory!

The icing on the cake would be Labour losing majority of seats in the North East region. They hold 25/29 seats there but it's gonna be a crushing loss if a region so demolished by Thatcher's decisions will suddenly turn to Tory after all those years :lol:

30 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Some seats held by Labour since the proverbial forever have been gained by Tories. Leigh (since 1922), Stoke-on-Trent (since 1950) and Blyth Valley (since 1950). Neither of these constituencies have ever voted Tory!

The icing on the cake would be Labour losing majority of seats in the North East region. They hold 25/29 seats there but it's gonna be a crushing loss if a region so demolished by Thatcher's decisions will suddenly turn to Tory after all those years :lol:

My Labour friend in Stoke will be sad :(. Huge supporter of Labour.

I’ll be completely shocked if Scotland isn’t independent by the next Olympics (as in Paris2024). What a parallel between :NIR/:SCO and :ENG/:WAL. People seem to think we’re moving towards a United Ireland as well after this vote. It’s going to be a fun 5 years for :GBR.

Edited by Olympian1010

It's safe to say the full-blown sociallist way for Labour is done. Good riddance. Says a lot when the most popular Labour leader in recent times (Tony Blair) wasn't even a sociallist to begin with :p

Apparently there will be more nationalists than unionists from Ulster as well (first time ever?). DUP is getting their butts kicked :lol:

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's safe to say the full-blown sociallist way for Labour is done. Good riddance. Says a lot when the most popular Labour leader in recent times (Tony Blair) wasn't even a sociallist to begin with :p

Apparently there will be more nationalists than unionists from Ulster as well (first time ever?). DUP is getting their butts kicked :lol:

Yeah the Irish national party has already flipped 2 DUP seats and could get more. It migh very well be the first time we see more nationalists the unionists. Hell, even parts of Belfast are voting for the nationalists in huge numbers. United Kingdom of England and Wales here we come. Even after saying that, Wales are voted more for nationalists and Labour than Tory. This may very well be the end of the line for the United Kingdom. 

Does anyone know wether or not LIB/DEM will support Scottish independence? There really the only party left with any power besides the SNP in Scotland.

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah the Irish national party has already flipped 2 DUP seats and could get more. It migh very well be the first time we see more nationalists the unionists. Hell, even parts of Belfast are voting for the nationalists in huge numbers. United Kingdom of England and Wales here we come. Even after saying that, Wales are voted more for nationalists and Labour than Tory. This may very well be the end of the line for the United Kingdom. 

Does anyone know wether or not LIB/DEM will support Scottish independence? There really the only party left with any power besides the SNP in Scotland.

The Kingdom is only united by name these days tbh. It's rather obvious SNP will force the second independence vote sooner rather than later IMO.

What’s funny is that London2012 was seen as bringing the country closer than ever (everyone was proud to be British), then came Brexit :p.