website statistics

Ice Hockey IIHF World Championships 2017

hckošice

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT A THRILLER !!! WHAT A DRAMA !!! between S. Korea and Ukraine. Incredible game. still 1-1 after overtime. absolutely superb match. All Korea living and fighting for their big dream against Ukraine who fight like never for Kazakhstan :lol: fantastic game...now the GWS to start, if :KOR win they will play the top division for the first time ever.

MEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP A

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

wOdgLL7zwwgsvvPDCCy+88MKLK0Gl+n9Fdof1utL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round-Robin

DAY 7

South Korea KOR.gif (GWS)2 - 1 UKR.gif Ukraine
Period-by-Period: 0-0, 1-1, 0-0, OT: 0-0, GWS: 1-0
April 28th 2017, h. 20:30, Palace of Sports, Kyiv

Round-Robin Final Standing

Nation
P
W(OTW)
L(OTL)
GF
GA
+/-
Pt.
AUT.gif Austria
4(0)
1(0)
+18
KOR.gif South Korea
4(1)
1(0)
+3
KAZ.gif Kazakhstan
4(1)
1(0)
+3
POL.gif Poland
2(0)
3(1)
HUN.gif Hungary
1(0)
4(0)
UKR.gif Ukraine
0(0)
5(1)

_Z7R9264.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R9178.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R9209.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R9215.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R9251.jpg?height=550&width=750

MEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP A

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round-Robin

DAY 7

Korea promoted!

Joins Austria to top division

_Z7R9757.jpg?height=550&width=750

It was a heart-breaking final. Korea needed to beat Ukraine for promotion. The game went to shootout where Michael Swift and Sanghoon Shin scored for Korea.

It will be the first time in history that the host of the 2018 Olympics will play in the top division of the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship next year in Copenhagen and Herning, Denmark, where they will be joined by tournament winner Austria.

Korea finishes the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group A in second and the World Championship program this year in 18th place. The previous best placing was 21st in 2013 and 2016.

Kazakhstan finishes the tournament in third place ahead of Poland, Hungary and Ukraine. The host earned its first and only point tonight but will be relegated.

Korea outshot Ukraine 36-23 during the 65 minutes of play but did too little with its opportunities.

Korea had more opportunities in a scoreless first period also during two power plays and opened the scoring at 4:59 of the middle frame.

Shangwoo Shin got the time and space to patiently wait on the right side of the Ukrainian net before sending a pass to Jin Hui Ahn to the left, who gave Korean the lead. However, it Ukraine stepped up in the period and was rewarded.

Sergi Babynets took Korea goalie Matt Dalton the puck away behind the net, skated back and put the puck in to tie the game.

There were several hot moments in the third period like when defenceman Vsevolod Tolstushko saved a Korean shot with his skate and on the other side a Ukrainian shot missed the net me millimetres.

For the last 29 seconds of regulation time and 71 seconds of the overtime period the Koreans played with a man advantage but Eduard Zakharchenko in the Ukrainian net had a strong night. Korea outshot Ukraine 8-0 in the 3-on-3 overtime. They managed to skate close to the Ukrainian net to shoot but missed out on the best opportunities.

But in the shootout the Koreans were eventually more efficient while Dalton made two great saved.

Penalty-Shot Shootout:

Round 1: Micheal Swift (KOR) 1-0, Nikita Butsenko (UKR) save.
Round 2: Minho Cho (KOR) missed, Vitali Lyalka (UKR) save.
Round 3: Sanghoon Shin (KOR) 2-0.

MEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP A

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Round-Robin

DAY 7

HIGHLIGHTS

So, today ended the Mens Division I Group A world Championships, let make a traditional last standing recap,

:AUT Austria :champion:won the tournament with 12 points, Austria played a really modern, offensive and highly sympathetic hockey during this tournament, One of the keys of this success was the goaltending, Starkbaum in the net was almost unbeatable, he didn´t conceded any goal more than 3 hours of play. The last goal Austria received was a Hungarian goal in the first period of the 2nd match !!! since then no one scored against them. only 4 goals against is a great statistic, Austria also scored the most goals (22) but 11 of them only today in 1 match against Poland. Austria fully deserved the tournament win and after 2 years in Division IA finally will return to the top division next year.

Silver went to Asia, South Korea wrote history this week, thanks the 11 points accumulated during the championship and better head 2 head confrontation with Kazakhstan (5-3) earned for the very first time in history promotion to next years Top Division, South Korea became only the second Asian Nation to reach this success after Japan. Austria and South Korea will replace next year in Top Division the last ranked teams of the both preliminary round groups from this years Top Division WCh in Paris and Cologne, which will start next Friday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kazakhstan took bronze with 11 points and worse H2H match with S. Korea, but it means also disappointment for them, since the Kazakhs just stoped their amazing "Elevator Thing" series, returning quickly back to top division and after 1 year dropping again back down..this time Kazakhstan will have to play the Division IA also at least 1 year more in a row.

4th Finished Poland. Poland had still chance to earn their first promotion to Top Division since 2002 but hugely failed in their last todays game and finished the tourney with 7 points and only 6 goals scored !!. Hopefully this good generation will recover from this sad experience and next year it will finally pay off and the guys will fulfill their dreams.

One of the most disappointed teams will be certainly Hungary, mentioned as one of the top favorites before the tournament, unfortunately experienced a very unlucky tournament, earning only 3 points. Even more sad is for them the fact that all defeats were really close by 2 goals only and the matches were always opened until the last seconds. Definitely tough luck. Pity that Hungary will not be next year in Denmark, especially because of their amazing fans. They make absolutely fantastic atmosphere during the matches. hopefully we will see them in 2019 in Slovakia. Kazkahstan, Poland and Hungary will play the Division I Group A also next year.

Last 6th place remains to the hosts. Ukraine was unfortunately the weakest team here, even with home advantage they collected only 1 single point from this tournament (thanks todays GWS lose against S. Korea), Labile defensive and really low offensive efficiency were the main points of this final rank for Ukraine. Ukraine will be relegated for the Division I Group B next year where they will replace the winner of the Division I Group B. Tournament still played this week in Belfast.

MEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP B

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

zcoyv8B4TqEDnFQgRUAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Round-Robin

DAY 4

Lithuania LTU.gif 2 - 6 JPN.gif Japan
Period-by-Period: 0-1, 2-2, 0-3
April 28th 2017, h. 12:30, SSE Arena, Belfast

HIGHLIGHTS

Croatia CRO.gif 3 - 4 EST.gif Estonia
Period-by-Period: 0-1, 3-2, 0-1
April 28th 2017, h. 16:00, SSE Arena, Belfast

HIGHLIGHTS

Great Britain GBR.gif 14 - 0 NED.gif Netherlands
Period-by-Period: 3-0, 5-0, 6-0
April 28th 2017, h. 19:30, SSE Arena, Belfast

HIGHLIGHTS
@heywoodu any explanation who the hell are these dudes ? and where did your team found them ?

Round-Robin Provisional Standing After Day 4

Nation
P
W(OTW)
L(OTL)
GF
GA
+/-
Pt.
GBR.gif Great Britain
4(0)
0(0)
+23
JPN.gif Japan
4(0)
0(0)
+15
LTU.gif Lithuania
2(0)
2(0)
+4
EST.gif Estonia
1(0)
3(0)
CRO.gif Croatia
1(0)
3(0)
NED.gif Netherlands
0(0)
4(0)

2 minutes ago, hckosice said:

@heywoodu any explanation who the hell are these dudes ? and where did your team found them ?eyany explanation who the hell are these dudes ? and where did your team found them ?

Yes I do :d 

A lot of our best players play at the Tilburg Trappers, a Dutch club that plays in the German Oberliga (the 3rd tier in Germany I think) because there it would have more competition than in Dutch/Belgian league. The Trappers made it to the Oberliga play-off finals and that was being played this week, so they logically wouldn't let their players go to Belfast. 

The Dutch coach only focusses on Estonia, because in his eyes, that's the only team they could realistically beat and so keep behind them to avoid relegation. That match is tomorrow and today's Trappers match gave some good news. The Trappers won the 4th game in the finals, meaning they went 3-1 up and decided the final. That means the players are now free to travel to Belfast tomorrow morning and they could, in theory, significantly improve the strength of the team. 

No idea how good they actually are, this is all just what I read on newspaper websites and a forum and I barely know any names, but it definitely is an explanation: 1) a lot of players are missing because they were playing for the Trappers and 2) the focus is on Estonia. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yes I do :d 

A lot of our best players play at the Tilburg Trappers, a Dutch club that plays in the German Oberliga (the 3rd tier in Germany I think) because there it would have more competition than in Dutch/Belgian league. The Trappers made it to the Oberliga play-off finals and that was being played this week, so they logically wouldn't let their players go to Belfast. 

The Dutch coach only focusses on Estonia, because in his eyes, that's the only team they could realistically beat and so keep behind them to avoid relegation. That match is tomorrow and today's Trappers match gave some good news. The Trappers won the 4th game in the finals, meaning they went 3-1 up and decided the final. That means the players are now free to travel to Belfast tomorrow morning and they could, in theory, significantly improve the strength of the team. 

No idea how good they actually are, this is all just what I read on newspaper websites and a forum and I barely know any names, but it definitely is an explanation: 1) a lot of players are missing because they were playing for the Trappers and 2) the focus is on Estonia. 

Ah Okay :d I really started to be worried what is this ? because I never heard about the majority of names playing this week in your team, and seeing they receive only blow outs, I really started to think your coach just found some random guys in the street with dutch nationality and invited them here :lol: because however this is really not the normal level of Netherlands, normally you belong higher than this  

I guess this is the reason why you played only with 3 lines, keeping place for the arriving Trappers players

well, good luck against Estonia then. :cheer: