website statistics

Swimming 2021 Discussion Thread

George_D

Milák with a new NR in men's 100m freestyle - 48.00

He displeased with the time, he wanted to go under 48. :d

I have to say, it's really strange to me how we might have two Hungarians in the Men's 100m freestyle final. This is one of those events where we haven't been that strong for a very long time. 

He is displeased with the time, he wanted to go under 48. :d

I have to say, it's really strange to me how we might have two Hungarians in the Men's 100m freestyle final. This is one of those events where we haven't been that strong for a very long time. 

4 hours ago, Vektor said:

He displeased with the time, he wanted to go under 48. :d

Also very unrealistic ...

I doubt that Milak will swim this event at the Olympics, at best he will have a super small chance to win bronze.

2 American guys, 2 Russian guys, Chalmers and Scott are almost guaranteed a spot in the final, which only leaves two open spots and guys like Miressi, Chierighini, Nakamura, Correia, He, Mignon or Metella are as fast as your guys or even faster. I think 1 guy in the final would be a very good result for you.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Also very unrealistic ...

I doubt that Milak will swim this event at the Olympics, at best he will have a super small chance to win bronze.

2 American guys, 2 Russian guys, Chalmers and Scott are almost guaranteed a spot in the final, which only leaves two open spots and guys like Miressi, Chierighini, Nakamura, Correia, He, Mignon or Metella are as fast as your guys or even faster. I think 1 guy in the final would be a very good result for you.

Both Milák and Németh are capable to go under 48, and so far no one has missed an Olympic or WCh final with a time like that since they banned those swimsuits. 

50 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Both Milák and Németh are capable to go under 48, and so far no one has missed an Olympic or WCh final with a time like that since they banned those swimsuits. 

1) Neither of them has gone sub 48 ever, unlike tons of other guys.

2) It is completely normal that times improve over the years. Just because those times were enough to make the final in the past doesn’t mean that they will be enough to make the final this year.

Obviously you can think whatever you want, just wanted to put things into perspective since I had the impression that you don’t really know much about swimming. Objectively it isn’t realistic to expect both of them to make the final.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

17 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) Neither of them has gone sub 48 ever, unlike tons of other guys.

2) It is completely normal that times improve over the years. Just because those times were enough to make the final in the past doesn’t mean that they will be enough to make the final this year.

Obviously you can think whatever you want, just wanted to put things into perspective since I had the impression that you don’t really know much about swimming. Objectively it isn’t realistic to expect both of them to make the final.

I have been watching swimming for over two decades now and if there's one thing I know is that most promising/young Hungarian swimmers achieve PB times at the Games or at the Worlds, and both of the swimmers are still very young, Milák was born in 2000, Németh was born in 1999, meaning that optimally they should still improve for their first Olympic Games. They are already breaking or close to breaking their PBs in March, 4 months away from the event where they should be in peak form. That doesn't mean that they will certainly go under 48, Milák might even find 100m freestyle too risky if 200m butterfly turns out to be very competitive, but I am not sure why it would seem such an unlikely scenario. I am sure both Milák and Németh will be very disappointed if their times won't start with 47 at the Games, that will be the target from their coaches. 

Final post from the Hungarian Championships:

Kristóf Milák, men's 100m butterfly - 50.47 NR

That's obviously not enough against Dressel, but he's looking really fast on the shorter distances compared to 2019, with this time he can potentially win a silver in Tokyo. 

And one more interesting note: Milák is breaking his records / PBs in the morning sessions. Our National Championships had their finals in the morning sessions to prepare for the ridiculous time schedule of Tokyo and Milák already seems to be ready for giving his best in the early hours. 

17 hours ago, Vektor said:

I have been watching swimming for over two decades now and if there's one thing I know is that most promising/young Hungarian swimmers achieve PB times at the Games or at the Worlds, and both of the swimmers are still very young, Milák was born in 2000, Németh was born in 1999, meaning that optimally they should still improve for their first Olympic Games. They are already breaking or close to breaking their PBs in March, 4 months away from the event where they should be in peak form. That doesn't mean that they will certainly go under 48, Milák might even find 100m freestyle too risky if 200m butterfly turns out to be very competitive, but I am not sure why it would seem such an unlikely scenario. I am sure both Milák and Németh will be very disappointed if their times won't start with 47 at the Games, that will be the target from their coaches. 

Hard to imagine that this is true, but if it is, you certainly didn’t watch close enough (at least in Nemeth‘s case).

In 2019 Nemeth went 48.17 at trials in March and then 48.10 at the world championships (but only in the final, in the heat and semifinal he was slower than at the trials).

In 2017 he swam 48.64 at trials in April and then he went on to swim 48.82 at the European junior championships and 48.95 at the junior world championships.

About Milak: I don’t think that he should/will race this event at the Olympics. Even if he improves by 0.5 seconds he would still only have an outside shot at bronze.

My prediction: Hungary won’t have a single athlete in the final, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if one of them made it (which would be a good result for Hungary). I would be extremely surprised if both guys would make it (not saying that it is impossible, just that it is unlikely).

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Final post from the Hungarian Championships:

Kristóf Milák, men's 100m butterfly - 50.47 NR

That's obviously not enough against Dressel, but he's looking really fast on the shorter distances compared to 2019, with this time he can potentially win a silver in Tokyo. 

And one more interesting note: Milák is breaking his records / PBs in the morning sessions. Our National Championships had their finals in the morning sessions to prepare for the ridiculous time schedule of Tokyo and Milák already seems to be ready for giving his best in the early hours. 

He almost certainly will be the favorite for silver. Of all the „established“ guys I only see Dressel and maybe Minakov matching that time, so normally he should win bronze at worst, but in an Olympic year you never know. I don’t think anyone in 2016 predicted that Schooling would go that fast at the Olympics.

19 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Hard to imagine that this is true, but if it is, you certainly didn’t watch close enough (at least in Nemeth‘s case).

In 2019 Nemeth went 48.17 at trials in March and then 48.10 at the world championships (but only in the final, in the heat and semifinal he was slower than at the trials).

In 2017 he swam 48.64 at trials in April and then he went on to swim 48.82 at the European junior championships and 48.95 at the junior world championships.

About Milak: I don’t think that he should/will race this event at the Olympics. Even if he improves by 0.5 seconds he would still only have an outside shot at bronze.

My prediction: Hungary won’t have a single athlete in the final, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if one of them made it (which would be a good result for Hungary). I would be extremely surprised if both guys would make it (not saying that it is impossible, just that it is unlikely).

You don't need to be snarky, I know it well what's expected from the Hungarian swimmers. Just because Németh failed during the Olympic cycle to cross the 48 line, it doesn't mean it's not expedited from him at the most important event of the past 5 years. From every senior Hungarian swimmer it's expected from them to have either a SB or PB at the Games (depending on where they are in their career) and to give their absolute best at the one event the country cares about, and if Németh can't do it, that will be a disappointment. As for Milák, it will depend on what happens at the ECh in May (if there will be an ECh), he seems to be more focused on the 100m distance than before, and he expressed disappointment over his 100m freestyle time, meaning that he feels he's capable of more.