website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest - Special Event

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

I'll be controversial here and suggest that maybe we could keep Annual as is, but have Open and Special-themed edition taking biennial turns? :zip:

I get controversial too, and say that I like that idea :d

Special-themed editions on Olympic year, Open on non-Olympic year?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I get controversial too, and say that I like that idea :d

Special-themed editions on Olympic year, Open on non-Olympic year?

Or not, as Ermelo 2020 will go forward as planned. We will not have #cancel@heywoodu around here. :finger:

Although, to be honest, I'm not really sure about the whole idea myself. :p

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Or not, as Ermelo 2020 will go forward as planned. We will not have #cancel@heywoodu around here. :finger:

Although, to be honest, I'm not really sure about the whole idea myself. :p

Not sure Ermelo still exists after the storm passing right by where I live and full-on hitting Ermelo two days ago :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m going to be pretty TISC fatigued when the Open rolls around though. I wouldn’t want my experience of the annual and open ruined by a third contest.

Yeah, I think we should only have 2 contests per year. This year was an exception because of some very obvious COVID related reasons.

Biennial turns feel a bit too much for me because I prefer the Open contest to the Special. I think having this Special edition every 4 year instead of the Open one would be better, it would also make it more... special. :d So we would have the next Special edition in 2024 "in France" after the Summer Games.

2 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Yeah, I think we should only have 2 contests per year. This year was an exception because of some very obvious COVID related reasons.

Biennial turns feel a bit too much for me because I prefer the Open contest to the Special. I think having this Special edition every 4 year instead of the Open one would be better, it would also make it more... special. :d So we would have the next Special edition in 2024 "in France" after the Summer Games.

Yeah, maybe we celebrate every Olympiad with a special edition, that either replaces the Open or acts as a stand alone 3rd contest.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

15 minutes ago, Vektor said:

12 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, maybe we celebrate every Olympiad with a special edition, that either replaces the Open or acts as a stand alone 3rd contest.

I would personally like the idea of having a special standalone TISC edition every Olympic year (Summer Olympics). Instead of having it after the Games have finished, we could have it as a warm up event to the Games. The contest could run for 4-5 weeks, with a 2.5-3 weeks registration period, entries selection and all other preparations made, and a 2-2.5 weeks contest period 

To make an example with this, or rather next year's Games. The first events of the Olympics would have started on July 22nd this year. A schedule example for a TISC Special event could have looked like this.

A simple schedule example for a TISC Special event:

June 14th

Registration and Entries Selection Window Open

June 28th

Registration and Entries Selection Window Closed

July 03rd

Tournament Draw is made

July 05th

Totallympics International Song 2020 Special Event begins

July 19th

Totallympics International Song 2020 Special Event ends

Nah, this special edition didn't feel that special for me and I probably would not want a repeat format of this, because it diminishes the amount of interaction between users when we have to hide which countries we've chosen and the voting is too odd and inconsistent, which means that good songs can easily not get past groups, quarters and so on so on. 

The only thing that's easier is that I don't need to spend 20+ hours in the span of two weeks to decide what I like and what I don't, but I honestly rather have that than watch how all of my favourite songs drop out of the competition without having a say in that voting phase.

52 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Nah, this special edition didn't feel that special for me and I probably would not want a repeat format of this, because it diminishes the amount of interaction between users when we have to hide which countries we've chosen and the voting is too odd and inconsistent, which means that good songs can easily not get past groups, quarters and so on so on. 

Well, not that inconsistent. It's not like 1st placed nations from various groups were randomly losing to 4th/5th placed teams. In fact, I am positively surprised at consistency we witnessed in that respect.

But, yes, there is plenty of luck involved as well, as random draw decides whether or not certain nations can meet before the final (like it usually is in sport tournaments as well).

#banbestmen