website statistics

2024 Paralympics Previews

TeamGB

Judo

3 athletes in 3 events

Dan Powell - Men's -90kg J1 - WR3 - World silver medallist - 2022 commonwealth champ (Able bodied)

Evan Molloy - Men's - 90kg J2 - WR7 - World bronze medallist

Chris Skelley - Men's +90kg J2 - WR 4 - Defending champ and world silver medallist.

All 3 medallists medalled at last years worlds, and I see know reason why they can't do it again. GB won a gold and a silver in Tokyo, and they can certainly match that. They don't have any dominant athletes but they can all win on their day.

My prediction - 1 Gold, 1 bronze

4 hours ago, TeamGB said:

Track Cycling

15 athletes in 14 events

The Kilo/500m events are split into the same groups as the road races, C1-3, C4-5 and B, with times being adjusted for classes. The Individual Pursuit events are split for each class, except for the women's C1-C3 pursuit.

Men's B squad - James Ball - TT + IP - 2023 + 2024 TT silver, 

- Neil Fachie - TT + IP - 2023 + 2024 TT world champ

- Steve Bate - TT - 2023 bronze and 2024 silver

Men's C1-C3 Squad - Matthew Robertson - IP - C2

- Fin Graham - TT + IP - C3 - 2023 + 2024 IP Silver

- Jaco van gass - TT + IP -C3 - 2023 Double + 2024 IP gold

Men's C4-C5 Squad - Archie Atkinson - TT + IP - C4 - 2024 IP world champ

- Jody Cundy - TT - C4 - 2023 + 2024 World champ

- Blaine Hunt - TT + IP - C5 - 2023 + 2024 TT world champ 

Women's B squad - All TT + IP - Lora Fachie - IP paralympic champion

- Lizzie Jordan - 2024 double world champion

- Sophie Unwin - 2024 double world champion

Fran Brown - C1 - TT - 2023 world Silver

Daphne Schrager - C2 - IP - 2024 World champ

Kadeena Cox - C4 - TT - 2023 + 2023 World champ

Mixed Team Sprint - Paralympic Champions - 2023 and 2024 world silver

The team won 6 golds and 14 medals in Tokyo. The squad has changed a bit since then, but 5 of the gold medal winners are still there, with the exception of Sarah Storey, who is just focusing on the road. Kadeena Cox has suffered an injury, so her form is a bit unknown, but she was so dominant that she could still win at 90% health. Neil Fachie and James ball have gone 1-2 and the TT at the last 2 worlds comfortably, so that gold looks pretty safe, same with both women's B events, and the men's C3 IP. Archie Atkinson was dominant at the worlds earlier in the year, and with GB having both double world champions in the C4-C5 TT, they are favourites there also. Schrager is a bit of an unkown, she qualified fastest (WR), at the 2023 worlds but was miles off her time in finals, she won in Rio, and was quicker then the winner C3, who she will be up against. I don't think she will win but she will likely medal. The mixed team sprint (Apparently mixed, but all 3 of Chinas athletes are male), will be a likely fight between GB and China, with china the favourites, especially if Cox is injured. 

My prediction - 6 golds and 14 medals, the same as Tokyo.

Is the mixed element in the relay's classification rather than gender based?

Edited by Nickyc707

Paracanoeing

9 athletes in 9 events

Dave Phillipson - Men's KL2 - 2024 World Silver 

Rob Oliver - Men's KL3 

Ed Clifton - Men's VL2 

Jack Eyres - Men's VL3 - 2023 World bronze

Jeanette Chippington - Women's KL1 

- Women's VL2 

Charlotte Henshaw - Women's KL2 - 2023 + 2024 World Champ

- Women's VL3 - 2024 World Champ

Emma Wiggs - Women's KL2 - 2023 World Silver

- Women's VL2 - 2023 + 2024 World Champ

Hope Gordon - Women's KL3 - 2024 World Silver

- Women's VL3 - 2023 World Champ

Laura Sugar - Women's KL3 - 2023 + 2024 World Champ

On the women's side, this squad is completely dominant, with their only main competitors being each other. After the whole team won 3 golds and 7 medals in Tokyo, they are expected to upgrade after more events added. The women should win 4 golds with a number of 1-2s. The men's team have been more inconsistent over the cycle but can certainly win medals.

My prediction - 4 golds 8 medals

Para Triathlon 

11 athletes in 7 events

Henry Urand - Men's PTS3 - WR 10 

Finley Jakes - Men's PTS4 - WR 11

Michael Taylor - Men's PTS4 - WR 10 

Dave Ellis - Men's PTVI - WR 1 - World Champion 2023

Oscar Kelly - Men's PTVI - WR 7 

Melissa Nichols - Women's PTWC - WR 6

Hannah Moore - Women's PTS4 - WR 4 

Megan Richter - Women's PTS4 - WR 9 

Claire Cashmore - Women's PTS5 - WR 1 - World Silver 2023

Lauren Steadman - Women's PTS5 - WR 11 - World Bronze 2023

Alison Peasgood - Women's PTVI - WR 11

GB won a medal of each colour in 2021, and based on the 2023 world championships, they are expected to match that result. Oscar Kelly hasn't lost a race since June 2023 so is a clear favourite. Lauren Steadman is the defending champion but has been suffering from long covid so her form is unknown.

My prediction - 1 Gold 4 medals

Para Powerlifting 

7 athletes in 7 events

Mark Swan - Men's 65kg - WR 4

Matthew Harding - Men's 80kg - WR 7

Liam McGarry - Men's +107kg - WR 8

Zoe Newson - Women's -45kg - WR 3

Olivia Broome - Women's - 50kg - WR 6 

Lottie McGuinness - Women's - 55kg - WR 9

Louise Sugden - Women's - 79kg - WR 7

With 3 bronzes in Tokyo, this sport is not a medal powerhouse for GB, and this trend will likely continue. Zoe Newson won commonwealth gold in 2022 and she is the most likely chance for a medal.

My prediction - 0 gold, 1 medal

Rowing

10 athletes in 4 events

Ben Pritchard - Men's PR1 Men's Single Sculls - 2022 + 2023 World Bronze

Lauren Rowles/Greg Stevenson - PR2 Mixed Double Sculls - 2023 World Champs

Sam Murray/Annabel Caddick - PR3 Mixed Double Sculls 

PR3 Mixed Coxed Fours - 2023 World Champs

All 4 squads are medal contenders, and both world champion teams should win. If there was ever a nailed on gold it is the PR3 mixed coxed fours, who have been utterly dominant in this event. Ben Pritchard looks fairly secure for bronze, as he has had a large gap between himself and 4th at both world championships. He also comfortably beat the world silver medallist at a world cup event. The main unknown is the PR3 mixed double sculls, who were 4th at last years worlds but won the European title this year, and came second at the world cup, beating half teams (1 different athletes) that won world silver and bronze very comfortably.  Given the athletes haven't really competed this year it is hard to judge form, but to me it looks like the team is trending in the right direction

My prediction - 2 golds 4 medals

Shooting

4 athletes in 6 events 

Issy Bailey - P3 - 25m pistol SH1 - WR 29

Ryan Cockbill - R4 – 10 m air rifle standing SH2 - WR 6

- R5 – 10 m air rifle prone SH2 - WR 26

- R6 – 50 m rifle prone SH1 - WR 7

Tim Jeffrey - R3 – 10 m air rifle prone SH1 - WR 7

- R4 – 10 m air rifle standing SH2 - WR 20

- R9 – 50 m rifle prone SH2 - WR 5 

Matt Skelhon - R3 – 10 m air rifle prone SH1 - WR 5

- R6 – 50 m rifle prone SH1 - WR 5

The team won 0 medals in Tokyo, and I have no idea what's going to happen in Paris. There are plently of events with highly ranked athletes but I don't know how strong this sport it depth wise. Given none of the athletes medalled at the 2022 worlds, and only won a couple of bronzes at the europeans this year, I would expect tokyo to be repeated.

My prediction - 0 medals

3 hours ago, TeamGB said:

Shooting

4 athletes in 6 events 

Issy Bailey - P3 - 25m pistol SH1 - WR 29

Ryan Cockbill - R4 – 10 m air rifle standing SH2 - WR 6

- R5 – 10 m air rifle prone SH2 - WR 26

- R6 – 50 m rifle prone SH1 - WR 7

Tim Jeffrey - R3 – 10 m air rifle prone SH1 - WR 7

- R4 – 10 m air rifle standing SH2 - WR 20

- R9 – 50 m rifle prone SH2 - WR 5 

Matt Skelhon - R3 – 10 m air rifle prone SH1 - WR 5

- R6 – 50 m rifle prone SH1 - WR 5

The team won 0 medals in Tokyo, and I have no idea what's going to happen in Paris. There are plently of events with highly ranked athletes but I don't know how strong this sport it depth wise. Given none of the athletes medalled at the 2022 worlds, and only won a couple of bronzes at the europeans this year, I would expect tokyo to be repeated.

My prediction - 0 medals

It was the only sport of the nineteen in which GB competed that they didn't medal in Tokyo. Since they started taking the Paralympics seriously China has been the dominant force in shooting. GB's last medals were way back in 2012.

Edited by Nickyc707