website statistics

Team GB Daily: Day 12

1 minute ago, Epic Failure said:

As it should be. Winning *any* Olympic medal is an incredible achievement. Winning a gold medal is a spectacular achievement.

Reading some of the comments on here, you would think that people believe that :GBR have some kind of God given right to win golds and that the other nations don't train just as hard as our folk do.

Yes, it is frustrating that we haven't won as many golds as we would like. But that's all it is. Each and every medal we win should be cheered to the rafters. Not frowned upon because it isn't the colour we want.

Well said! 

Just now, Epic Failure said:

As it should be. Winning *any* Olympic medal is an incredible achievement. Winning a gold medal is a spectacular achievement.

Reading some of the comments on here, you would think that people believe that :GBR have some kind of God given right to win golds and that the other nations don't train just as hard as our folk do.

Yes, it is frustrating that we haven't won as many golds as we would like. But that's all it is. Each and every medal we win should be cheered to the rafters. Not frowned upon because it isn't the colour we want.

Yes correct, but that wont be how the media will see it, i mean we could be in real danger of finishing 6....7 in the medals table if things don't pick up, it just doesn't LOOK good, even though it is good achievments.

I think what is frustrating is how we are losing these medals, race recalled when in bronze in sailing, crashing like we just did, the skeet shooting incident, urgh

6 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

No matter how you spin it, a lot of these silvers and bronzes are hard to celebrate when its either technical faults or tiny margins from the gold. 

Just now, Olympicsnell said:

Yes correct, but that wont be how the media will see it, i mean we could be in real danger of finishing 6....7 in the medals table if things don't pick up, it just doesn't LOOK good, even though it is good achievments.

I think what is frustrating is how we are losing these medals, race recalled when in bronze in sailing, crashing like we just did, the skeet shooting incident, urgh

Most of 'the media" isn't worth the paper that it is written on, so I don't frankly care what they think. Or what 'the general public' thinks if they agree with it. As a wise man once said, people like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people.

There's always frustrations in an event like this. The only ones I'm upset about are the shooting mistake, the boxing judging and the sailing wind fiasco. The others are just sporting incidents.

I mean, this TP was almost certainly Ethan being on the ragged edge and expending every ounce of energy. At that level, even the slightest mistake can be fatal to your chances. Fair play to the Aussies for putting us under that stress, in my opinion.

Finucane still has 2 gold chances, MHS tonight, Taekwondo to come and the girls love a Madison.

Still plenty of time but Australia just happen to have peaked at the right time and had the best games of their lives just like we did finishing 2nd in Rio. Hard to begrudge them (still hope we have enough in the tank though to finish 4th). 

1 minute ago, Jambo said:

No matter how you spin it, a lot of these silvers and bronzes are hard to celebrate when its either technical faults or tiny margins from the gold. 

They really aren't. That's just how you are choosing to 'spin it' yourself.

And whilst we have lost gold by small margins, we've also won some the same way.

I'd also argue that how you approached the games influences it and what expectations you have coming into it. Our medal haul as is right now is ahead of where I thought it would be in advance of the games.

8 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Most of 'the media" isn't worth the paper that it is written on, so I don't frankly care what they think. Or what 'the general public' thinks if they agree with it. As a wise man once said, people like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people.

There's always frustrations in an event like this. The only ones I'm upset about are the shooting mistake, the boxing judging and the sailing wind fiasco. The others are just sporting incidents.

I mean, this TP was almost certainly Ethan being on the ragged edge and expending every ounce of energy. At that level, even the slightest mistake can be fatal to your chances. Fair play to the Aussies for putting us under that stress, in my opinion.

It is the media though who UK Sport would have to justify themselves to if they don’t meet one half of the target.