website statistics

Team GB Daily: Day 11

I will point out a little ray of hope for those saddened by the prospect of us finishing behind the Aussies… and that is if you have written off the men’s team pursuit.

Dan Bigham didn’t ride today as still recovering from a crash on Sat. The Aussies will be unchanged, whereas I expect Dan to be subbed in. Charlie Tanfield I think was rested for ride 1 so the team in the final (our best 4) may not have been shown yet.

we have 1.4 secs to make up on the Aussies but I don’t think it’s a done deal yet. Fingers crossed the boys can turn them over when it matters 

1 hour ago, cjsavory said:

I may be off by a couple in either direction (and I'm sure/I hope people will point out where I'm wrong!), but I reckon we have 33 legitimate medal chances left, in addition to the 46 already won, and the 1 secured in the Men's Team Pursuit:

Should Medal (15):

MHS (400m M)
4x400m M
4x100m W
KJT (Heptathlon)
Emma Finucane (Sprint W)
Emma Finucane (Keirin W)
Team Pursuit W
Ethan Hayter (Omnium M)
Hayter/Wood (Madison M)
Barker/Evans (Madison W)
Jack Laugher (3m Springboard M)
Joe Choong (Modern Pentathlon M)
Gimson/Burnet (Mixed Nacra 17)
Ellie Aldridge (Kite W)
Bradley Sinden (-68kg M)

Could Medal (18):

Shortman/Thorpe (Artistic Swimming Duet)
Ben Pattison (800m M)
4x100m M
Amber Anning (400m W)
Laura Muir (1500m W)
4x400m W
Jack Carlin (Sprint M)
Jack Carlin (Keirin M)
Noah Williams (10m Platform M)
Charley Hull/Georgia Hall (Golf W)
Kerenza Bryson/Kate French (Modern Pentathlon W)
Connor Bainbridge (Kite M)
Michael Beckett (ILCA7 M)
Toby Roberts (Boulder & Lead M)
Hector Pardoe (10km Open Water M)
Jade Jones (-57kg W)
Rebecca McGowan (+67kg W)
Emily Campbell (+81kg W)

Bold = Gold contender.

Obviously not all of the 15 will come in, but from that list of 33 it's not unreasonable to think we could get 18-20 medals and 6 Golds, which would leave us on 18 Golds and 65-67 total medals...

I'd add to your list:

Caden Cunningham - Taekwondo (+80kg M)

W Omnium

There's a few others that are very speculative and could be added in that case (Cindy Sember, Leah Crisp etc) but those two above I reckon are not implausible.

5 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

I'd add to your list:

Caden Cunningham - Taekwondo (+80kg M)

W Omnium

There's a few others that are very speculative and could be added in that case (Cindy Sember, Leah Crisp etc) but those two above I reckon are not implausible.

W Omnium will be tough behind Ally W, Koepecke and Valente, although I agree if Neah is in form she can do it.

I’m now a bit concerned as Neah is again omitted from the team pursuit lineup for the medal ride vs USA… seems to indicate there is an issue form or

injury wise. E Barker would be the best woman up but to break into that top 3 would be a tough assignment.

5 hours ago, RussB said:

W Omnium will be tough behind Ally W, Koepecke and Valente, although I agree if Neah is in form she can do it.

I’m now a bit concerned as Neah is again omitted from the team pursuit lineup for the medal ride vs USA… seems to indicate there is an issue form or

injury wise. E Barker would be the best woman up but to break into that top 3 would be a tough assignment.

It only takes one unfortunate racing incident for a place on the podium to open up. It's not a medal I'm expecting but there's enough jeopardy in the event to not rule it out.

I do wonder whether the fact that there's 2 rounds of the TP today might also influence things. We also still don't know their thinking about where they believe their best chances of medals come from. I'm not worried yet (stress on the yet part).

On 8/6/2024 at 11:14 PM, G-ann said:

Medals aside I’m just not going to be ok without a constant buffet of sport to watch next week.

There’s been fantastic performances and heroic moments aplenty so far (triathlon, mountain biking and todays poison of skateboarding to name a few!) and I shall just be here savouring the next five days! 

That's why the Paralympics exist, my friend - Olympic methadone.