website statistics

Team GB Daily: Day 9

34 minutes ago, JamDH said:

I'm getting irritated in the most privileged of ways, I'd like someone to win soon.

Agreed, first world problems, Fleetwood and Rutter so unlucky, the women's road race squad have at least tried, gymnastics was probably a dissapointment. Tomorrow is going to be a massive day for us. At least my Scheffler bet came in.

3 minutes ago, JamDH said:

Why has Deignan launched Vos and Vas?

Because she was trying to keep that group motivated. Kopecky/Vos/Borghini were starting to play games. Which meant that they were losing their lead. Which is why Henderson and Deignan had caught the group back up.

Georgi was always the most likely :GBR medalist but they are trying to either break other riders/keep ahead of the like of Dygart behind.

19 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Because she was trying to keep that group motivated. Kopecky/Vos/Borghini were starting to play games. Which meant that they were losing their lead. Which is why Henderson and Deignan had caught the group back up.

Georgi was always the most likely :GBR medalist but they are trying to either break other riders/keep ahead of the like of Dygart behind.

And in the end Georgi does pretty well to finish 5th. 

Last night of swimming, are australia likely to pick up any golds tonight? Im thinking relays but u.s might stop them in both,

Im thinking about the battle for 3rd in the table and dont want them getting to far ahead 

I think gb are still on for 19/20 golds if everything goes right and that should be enough? france having no more fencing/judo/swimming after tonight helps as well

Thoughts?

Think today might have put 3rd out of reach for GB but I thought it a couple of days ago and then they had a stormer.

From my reckoning GB's remaining gold chances are: 

Men's 400m

Men's 1500m

Men's 4x100 and 4x400

Women's 800m

Women's 4x100

Women's Pole Vault

Women's Heptathlon

Richardson in Boxing

Men's Extreme Canoe

Women's Extreme Canoe

3x Men's Cycling Endurance

3x Women's Cycling Sprint

3x Women's Cycling Endurance

Equestrian Jumping

Men's + Women's Modern Pentathlon

Men's + Women's Kite

Women's Park

Men's Boulder + Lead

4x Taekwondo

Triathlon Mixed Relay

So 32 realistic gold chances left, not sure how many France and Australia have but I don't think it's that many.

I'm confident at this stage that we will beat our Tokyo medal tally, but golds may be out of reach.

5 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

Last night of swimming, are australia likely to pick up any golds tonight? Im thinking relays but u.s might stop them in both,

Im thinking about the battle for 3rd in the table and dont want them getting to far ahead 

I think gb are still on for 19/20 golds if everything goes right and that should be enough? france having no more fencing/judo/swimming after tonight helps as well

Thoughts?

At the moment we can't seem to buy a gold so I don't want to even think about the prospect of beating either. If we had the dominant track cycling squad of old that could come here and bag 9 of 12 or whatever then maybe. I think the US might win the men's medley, their breaststroke and backstroke are much better than Aus, women's not sure. Aus will get a sailing probably, and will have athletics ambitions of their own. Kennedy, Little etc. Kennedy would mean we miss one of ours as well of course. Little beat Kitaguchi at the diamond league recently. Paterson and Olyslagers in the wings if Mahuchikh faulters. Are any of their sprint canoe boats the best? I have no idea. They have a boxer in the semis. Men's hockey look like they might be going out and women aren't favourites but could happen. 

Just my personal opinion, but I'm less bothered than most whether we beat France or Australia. At least in terms of golds. I'd prefer it if we can beat them in total number of medals.

Both have some in-built advantages here compared to us, in my opinion. France obviously have the home crowds and host quotas. Australia don't have the crowds, but do have some advantage through the global qualification setup.

I'm more interested if we beat/match our own medal totals and top 8s from the last 3 games. If we do that, we will continue to be in rude health as an Olympic nation for me. :)