website statistics

Team Ireland Daily Diary at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games

Regatta seems to be getting away from Dickson and Waddilove unfortunately, 11th in race 10 and down the field in race 11 so may slip out of the medal standings now. Need a big last race today to set them up for tomorrow, that DSQ after appeal by Spaniards may ultimately cost them a medal 🙄

They are still in with a shout of a medal and to be honest that’s more than most would have expected before the Games at this point so they’ve done extremely well to put themselves in this position. 

Comfortable enough from Harrington, still a classy operator, and now winning medals in two Olympics, which even Taylor didn't manage (though Paddy Barnes of course did!).

Three medals in three days for Ireland, and more to come without doubt. Hard to see how this will be anything other than our most successful ever Olympics from here. I posted it half jokingly on Monday, but we genuinely could win a medal a day this week, we have multiple chances daily for the next four days up to Sunday.

And if we get another boxing medal alongside Harrington we’ve done well. Although more than 2 medals was a possibility, 0-2 medals seems to be the middle ground of what we could expect, IMO.

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

They are still in with a shout of a medal and to be honest that’s more than most would have expected before the Games at this point so they’ve done extremely well to put themselves 

Huge result with a 2nd place in race 12 to put them back into 2nd overall, badly needed result for the lads. Need to beat Spain by at least 3 places in the medal race tomorrow to win gold

After the experience of sitting through Annalise's two medals races I'd gladly take a medal of any colour from the sailors tomorrow. But they've overachieved even to get to this position, regardless of what happens from here.

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• Dodgers fell 3-0 behind in the first inning to Padres but managed to win 7-5 in the first NLDS game.   Phillies' bullpen collapsed vs Mets allowing 5 runs and one out in the 8th inning
    • WWE Bad Blood 2024 Results:   CM Punk def. Drew McIntyre (Hell in a Cell Match)   WWE Women's Champion Nia Jax def. Bayley - TITLE RETAINED   Damian Priest def. Finn Balor   Rhea Ripley def. Women's World Champion Liv Morgan by DQ - TITLE RETAINED   Roman Reigns & Cody Rhodes def. Solo Sikoa & Jacob Fatu
    • To be fair, the only way to make the qualifying day shorter is by allowing fewer athletes and I really don't think that's a good trade-off for the sport. Qualifying day can be the biggest spectacle one can imagine, it's still not going to draw amazing viewing numbers anyway, since it's basically just laying the foundation for the weekend.   Ice resurfacing definitely takes a while if done properly, if pushing it they could maybe get it done just under 15 minutes or so. I'm a little afraid it goes the way of athletics, where things are pushed more and more into ever shorter formats. Shorttrack days and sessions can only realistically be made shorter if they spread a World Cup out over 4 instead of 3 days, but it's not like Thursday is going to be a massive audience day.
    • I wish the ISU would make each of the sessions shorter… they all last between 3-5 hours (and sometimes 10 hours with the qualifying sessions) and me personally I find it highly annoying and unnecessary, because there’s so many breaks in between (for ice resurfacing it’s understandable, but it doesn’t take the 15-20 minutes long breaks to do it…)
    • The only thing I can think of that has gotten in the way can be geo-restrictions, like the Fridays being available on YouTube, but not the Saturdays and Sundays, preventing new people from really getting into it. Somehow I doubt a new format means it will be made more welcoming for new viewers though...
    • But what can be improved? Broadcasting has for years already been excellent, with races that are quite clear to follow and fine graphics that have all we need. How is "Suzanne Schulting for the Dutch Lions!" instead of "Suzanne Schulting from the Netherlands!" going to make it a better 'broadcast product'?
    • I do think we need a rethink of how short track is packaged as a broadcast product given how little money is involved. Pretty hard to make a living in that sport.
    • Finals are set    An all-Canadian final on the women’s side, as Team Homan looks to win their third title of the season (and improve to 18-1) against a hungry Team Einarson who have had a less than ideal start to the season, they were also the last Canadian team to beat Homan over a year ago (same event coincidentally), while on the men’s side it’ll be a battle between Olympic medalists as Team Mouat goes against Team Gushue!
    • Yeah, it was clear. But i repeat, we need it? I think no.
    • GSOC HearingLife Tour Challenge Semifinals  Women  Team Fujisawa v.  Team Einarson  Team Lawes v.  Team Homan   Men  Team Mouat v.  Team McEwen  Team Dunstone v.  Team Gushue