website statistics

Fencing EFC European Championships 2024

Totallympics

9 hours ago, Cobi said:

That's funny considering we only had two team medals in European Championships until today and last one was 10 years ago

:lol:

Unfortunately we failed to qualify for the Olympics which was the main goal. Both teams had enough level to make it, but as usual in Spanish fencing they underperformed when it mattered the most.

I'm still asking myself how :ITA did qualify in the women's sabre and :ESP didn't? :mumble: :facepalm:

the men's epee it's a different beast...there are so many teams more or less on the same level and it's really, really difficult to get into the top 4 (5) of the ranking

I wouldn't say they underperformed...they just missed out on a very complicated task

1 hour ago, phelps said:

I'm still asking myself how :ITA did qualify in the women's sabre and :ESP didn't? :mumble: :facepalm:

the men's epee it's a different beast...there are so many teams more or less on the same level and it's really, really difficult to get into the top 4 (5) of the ranking

I wouldn't say they underperformed...they just missed out on a very complicated task

:ESP is probably better than :ITA in sabre, but Italian girls are stronger under pressure. We medaled in the 1st event of the OQR and after that we lost 44-45 against :BUL at Euros and 44-45 against :GRE at Worlds. This season we were paired four times in a row with :FRA in T8, so no option of making it to the final. The only time when we didn't face :FRA in T8 was the last event of the season, with the OQR already finished, and I think we took silver, but it was too late.

In epee there were 4 teams with similar level fighting for the European spot [:CZE:SUI:ESP:ISR]. We made it to SFs in the first OQR World Cup, but after that we lost 32-37 against :HUN at Euros (expected, but we had our chances during the match) and 43-44 against :VEN at Worlds. Fortunately the other European teams didn't have great performances and we still had a chance, but during the summer our top guy Yulen Pereira broke his wrist and even after he came back, his level was not as good as it used to be.

1 hour ago, phelps said:

Today Italians lost in saber against Romania in 1/4, which hurts even more because France was also eliminated. And this will be important in Paris, because we will drop in the ranking behind Egypt and we will fight in 1/4 with Hungary, not France. I really don't like the approach of some of our teams to team competitions. However, these are continental competitions with ranking points and such an attitude should not take place. The form is there, which was visible individually but we are losing to Romania again. If we were to make a ranking today, we would also fall behind Germany... There would be better chances with France in Paris than with Hungary and Szilyagi. We are digging our own grave.

1 hour ago, copravolley said:

Today Italians lost in saber against Romania in 1/4, which hurts even more because France was also eliminated. And this will be important in Paris, because we will drop in the ranking behind Egypt and we will fight in 1/4 with Hungary, not France. I really don't like the approach of some of our teams to team competitions. However, these are continental competitions with ranking points and such an attitude should not take place. The form is there, which was visible individually but we are losing to Romania again. If we were to make a ranking today, we would also fall behind Germany... There would be better chances with France in Paris than with Hungary and Szilyagi. We are digging our own grave.

against :ROU it was Samele's fault...he had 2 awful assaults putting the rest of the team under heavy pressure

and Gallo did show that he's not the man who can save our ass when entering a match late...he must be a starter

Torre, instead, did quite well vs :ROU, but the problem is that our guys just disappear when they see the name Covaliu, as if his father was still on the piste :facepalm:

p.s. Szilagyi is no longer the man he used to be...age is showing him a big prize...we shouldn't be so worried to face :HUN rather than :FRA on home soil and extra motivation...the only team we can't really cope with is :KOR because of their style

women's Team Foil

Gold: :ITA Italy

Silver: :POL Poland

Bronze: :HUN Hungary

Semifinals

Poland b. France 41-40

Italy b. Hungary 45-17

Bronze Medal Match

Hungary b. France 45-43

Gold Medal Match

Italy b. Poland 45-27

Full Ranking & Results