website statistics

How many medals do you expect from your Nation at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024? Road to Paris 2024

FWIW I think Rhasidat does the women's final (if Ireland make it). The semi are the morning of the final but she'll hopefully be too busy for that. Once the individial final is over, she'll have no reason not to run the relay (even if medal chances are slim enough there)

Anyway, I wouldn't really care what the Irish public thinks. It's better they're into it and hoping for the best than not caring about it. And Everyone is aware of how tough Olympic medals are to get. Even in Sports that we generally do well in. 

9 hours ago, dodge said:

FWIW I think Rhasidat does the women's final (if Ireland make it). The semi are the morning of the final but she'll hopefully be too busy for that. Once the individial final is over, she'll have no reason not to run the relay (even if medal chances are slim enough there)

Anyway, I wouldn't really care what the Irish public thinks. It's better they're into it and hoping for the best than not caring about it. And Everyone is aware of how tough Olympic medals are to get. Even in Sports that we generally do well in. 

I think this is definitely the case, she won’t do the heats but will run the final if Ireland make it.

The mixed relay is the interesting one. The signs from the GB camp is that the individual stars won’t be running the mixed relay before their individual, I wonder if Rhasidat will run it with a bit of rest before the women’s individual… I wouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t given she has a genuine chance at an individual medal.

The question is can IRL get to the mixed final without her? If they can, she'll absolutely run the final. but if they calculate they cannot, decisions will have to be made

Posted (edited)

I think the mixed is one of the great games of call my bluff in athletics this summer. Outside of the US, no team is strong enough to guarantee a final spot with a weakened team. So it comes down to who values what and which athletes want to take what risks vis a vis their individual events. We'll know a bit more when the teams are selected but I still think there'll be some last minute 'shock' decisions.

Edited by Epic Failure

1 hour ago, Epic Failure said:

I think the mixed is one of the great games of call my bluff in athletics this summer. Outside of the US, no team is strong enough to guarantee a final spot with a weakened team. So it comes down to who values what and which athletes want to take what risks vis a vis their individual events. We'll know a bit more when the teams are selected but I still think there'll be some last minute 'shock' decisions.

The big issue with the mixed relay is twofold:

(i) it is held at the start of the programme before the individuals, and the final is the day after the heat.

(ii) you can only make 1 substitution for the final.

its almost impossible to predict what teams can make the final with resting at least 1 of their best 4, too much uncertainty over the lineups of the other nations. Medals are up for grabs for those that want to claim them at the expense of having a fully rested headliners in the individual side (particularly hurtful on the men’s side which starts a day after the mixed final, the women have 1 more day of rest). 

All competing nations I expect to rest their number 1 given the schedule in the heat (especially if that’s on the male side) but beyond that it gets really confusing. It wouldn’t surprise me if the GB team looks something like: Carvell Yeargin, La. Nielsen and Harries with Dobson possibly brought into the final if they genuinely think the team can get into the medal mix. Leaving Matt and Amber off the relay completely. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, RussB said:

The big issue with the mixed relay is twofold:

(i) it is held at the start of the programme before the individuals, and the final is the day after the heat.

(ii) you can only make 1 substitution for the final.

its almost impossible to predict what teams can make the final with resting at least 1 of their best 4, too much uncertainty over the lineups of the other nations. Medals are up for grabs for those that want to claim them at the expense of having a fully rested headliners in the individual side (particularly hurtful on the men’s side which starts a day after the mixed final, the women have 1 more day of rest). 

All competing nations I expect to rest their number 1 given the schedule in the heat (especially if that’s on the male side) but beyond that it gets really confusing. It wouldn’t surprise me if the GB team looks something like: Carvell Yeargin, La. Nielsen and Harries with Dobson possibly brought into the final if they genuinely think the team can get into the medal mix. Leaving Matt and Amber off the relay completely. 

In Budapest the Dutch team ran Bol in the mixed relay heats, but with her doing just enough to qualify for the finals. Klaver did run at full capacity. We rested our old warrior Liemarvin Bonevacia. Ireland could run Rhasidat in the anker leg, following the Bol strategy. 

Edited by Noorderling29

1 minute ago, Noorderling29 said:

In Budapest the Dutch team ran Bol in the mixed relay series, but with her doing just enough to qualify for the finals. Klaver did run at full capacity. We rested our old warrior Liemarvin Bonevacia. Ireland could run Rhasidat in the anker leg, following the Bol strategy. 

The issue with this strategy IRL have is Rhasidat will not be getting the baton in the lead in Paris if they put her on anchor (would be my strong gut feeling), unlike Bol in Budapest at the European level who could moderate things easily from the front. The Olympics will be a step up and IRL position near the front depends on her running the second leg.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RussB said:

The issue with this strategy IRL have is Rhasidat will not be getting the baton in the lead in Paris if they put her on anchor (would be my strong gut feeling), unlike Bol in Budapest at the European level who could moderate things easily from the front. The Olympics will be a step up and IRL position near the front depends on her running the second leg.

Bol started in the lead in the final, in the heats she was never in the lead and finished third, after battling Kaczmarek

Edited by Noorderling29

36 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

Bol started in the lead in the final, in the heats she was never in the lead and finished third, after battling Kaczmarek

Ah you mentioned Budapest - sorry my mind is still stuck in Rome 👍

my general point I suppose is the same, can IRL really allow her to run a controlled leg by putting her on anchor and doing enough to qualify… I feel like she would still likely have to go almost full gas to drag them into a qualifying position.

Twice this year, in Glasgow and Rome, Bol was handed the baton in first place and she did just enough to win.In Rome she ran a for her slow time in the women’s 4 x 4, a second slower than she ran in mixed relay and she ran to win the indoor 400 metres title. She wasn’t even the fastest Dutch runner, as Lisanne De Witte was a little bit faster.