website statistics

Men's Rugby Sevens Tournament at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Wonder where our NZ friend is right now? Thought NZ where better than Fiji and Australia and not using NZ as an example was "embarrassing"? Think I forgive :RSA for beating us in the final qualifier. 

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Wonder where our NZ friend is right now? Thought NZ were better than Fiji and Australia and not using NZ as an example was "embarrassing"? Think I forgive :RSA for beating us in the final qualifier. 

Hahaha I remember that. That guy went QUIET 

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Wonder where our NZ friend is right now? Thought NZ where better than Fiji and Australia and not using NZ as an example was "embarrassing"? Think I forgive :RSA for beating us in the final qualifier. 

In all honesty, two of the best four teams are gone. Fiji Ireland was a stone cold classic - as was NZL South Africa.

Still, this tournament has been a great advertisement for the format, most 'casuals' i've spoken to have absolutely loved it, and a number have mentioned that it serves as almost a perfect lead in to the Olympics. I still don't agree with teams being already out before the Opening Ceremony, but the idea of using the Athletics Stadium in Week one for Sevens seems to work very well. Now if we could only get some of the energy- and the crowds -  into the SVNS

Yeah I don't like the optics of teams being effectively finished before the opening ceremony (and I don't think the day off tomorrow will benefit the players much) but it has still been a good tournament.

Like CB, I'm tacitly supporting :RSA because it makes our defeat in the qualifier look better the further they go. :clap:

I do think they need to sort out the seeding/draw issues for the future. I'm not sure the current setup gives us the best chance of the best teams getting through to the later stages, which should be the ideal (obviously that doesn't account for shocks but it is the best idea in principle).

2 minutes ago, RussB said:

Just come home from the stadium, some thoughts on the quarters:

- French crowd were insane for their match vs Argentina. Stadium was absolutely rocking.

- TMO quick decisions seem to being prioritised over getting the correct decisions [ 2 odd ones from the stadium views were the disallowed Arg try and the winning try Fiji were awarded despite a seemingly blatant knock on]

- NZ were really poor relative to the group stage, the rain had started lightly falling 10 mins before and they made a number of handling errors. SA scored two tries from bits of magic from their best player.

- Ireland were all too often looking for Kennedy for creative spark, but were slightly unfortunate to come up short.

- I expect France to win the first semi, but Fiji vs Australia is too tough to call.

- The quality of rugby in general was really high, especially the defensive structure that all teams maintained.

Opposite way around for me :d

Expecting a battle in France-South Africa, and think Fiji will win in the other semifinal.  

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Opposite way around for me :d

Expecting a battle in France-South Africa, and think Fiji will win in the other semifinal.  

To be honest the standard is so tight that anything is possible! I will say France played the best rugby tonight, so fast and great hands, and then they brought DuPont on to secure the win in the 2nd half, and he was excellent.

SA having lost 2 of the group games I think took their chance extremely well against an under performing NZ tonight. The home support will be hard for any team to overcome I think 

26 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

In all honesty, two of the best four teams are gone. Fiji Ireland was a stone cold classic - as was NZL South Africa.

Still, this tournament has been a great advertisement for the format, most 'casuals' i've spoken to have absolutely loved it, and a number have mentioned that it serves as almost a perfect lead in to the Olympics. I still don't agree with teams being already out before the Opening Ceremony, but the idea of using the Athletics Stadium in Week one for Sevens seems to work very well. Now if we could only get some of the energy- and the crowds -  into the SVNS

Someone should ask the players what would they prefer between both situations. But I have an idea after the passion and energy commited during the :KEN :URU game