website statistics

Men's Field Hockey Tournament at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

Posted (edited)

Got it.

India raised ball into D, taken down safely by India player. 

Onfield ump blew against India as they believed the raised ball was into crowd/danger - decision of free hit out to Arg.

India team referral querying as player was in free space 

Video ump confirmed player in free space, and Arg had encroached on space and therefore deliberate offence. They then advise Pflick as they felt it was Phase 1, onfield awarded PCorner as Phase 2.

FIH rules for video umps state that the video ump is there to advise but the final decision remains with the onfield umps (2021 video protocols), so they ultimately are allowed to make the call even if it doesn’t fully align with the advice. 

For me with my umpire hat on this is the right outcome for the offence but can understand the heartbreak of hearing a flick being awarded only for it to be taken away so fast!

(could be slightly wrong on why onfield initially blew free hit, but I’ll triple check later - always trying to work on how I umpire raised balls!)

Edited by G-ann

The rules for aerials are a disaster, easily the worst of this sport. I don't know why FIH doesn't seem interested in doing anything to find a more objective criteria for them. 50% of the calls when someone flicks the ball a complete bs.

The video umpire was awful in this game (also gave us a stroke from a shot that was going out). Thankfully the main officials didn't accept his stupid advice at the end (even though India scored anyway).

3 minutes ago, sounak said:

Someone just copy pasted the matchups from QFs in Tokyo :p

Oh, didn't notice that. 

I predict there will be at least two different winners this time.