website statistics

Boxing at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

10 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

your not wrong, after the rosie eccles screwjob i stopped watching any of the british fighters and boxing will probably end up with breaking as something i will have little interest in for the reminder of the games, the scoring just doesn't cut if for me

I hope Italy stops funding this sport. It makes no sense. Better to invest in disciplines where at least it`s known who wins and why.

Just now, pdr4332 said:

Would not be surprised if this is the last appearance of boxing at the Olympics (even though it's more related to the lack of recognised federation)

What do you think this is about? Are these judges idiots or is someone paying them money for these frauds? In my opinion, even in 2008 and 2012 these results were more understandable than now, although there were also controversies.

Just now, ChandlerMne said:

Boxing must stay, but boxing with clear rules only. Sport where success or even gold are strictly arbitrary or random must be excluded.

When judges are main factors, not boxers, then its time for IOC to start wondering.

Bring back the old scoring system. At least that was clear and fair as to what are the scoring punches with which a person is scoring.

Also the warning and deduction system is so arbitrary. Someone gets 10 holding warning in a match without any deductions and other boxer will get 1 point deducted after one holding warning.

4 minutes ago, copravolley said:

What do you think this is about? Are these judges idiots or is someone paying them money for these frauds? In my opinion, even in 2008 and 2012 these results were more understandable than now, although there were also controversies.

I don't follow boxing but based on what transpired from the Ajan scandal in weightlifting (which I only looked up at the time because I had plenty of time during the COVID pandemic and the disgraced former president was from :HUN not because I am that much into weightlifting) I can imagine there can be a collusion between corrupt national federation leaders and corrupt intl federation executive. I scratch your back and you scratch my back.

In the weightlifting case it was overlooking doping as much it was possible in exchange for support for the Ajan clique by local/continental feds.

Here I imagine it is corrupt judging amenable to certain countries is the way their favors are returned.

Other possible explanation is different shady business deals between the people involved 

But this is just an educated guess.

Just now, sounak said:

Bring back the old scoring system. At least that was clear and fair as to what are the scoring punches with which a person is scoring.

Also the warning and deduction system is so arbitrary. Someone gets 10 holding warning in a match without any deductions and other boxer will get 1 point deducted after one holding warning.

You're right. It should be like in fencing, where the score is always visible on the screen. There are controversies there too, but at least we know what the score is.

In the current situation, it is very hard to remove corruption in boxing. Scoring methodology needs to be drastically overhauled with less human intervention.

Something like sensors detecting the clean punches or videos auto analysing points as per attacking and defensive moves of the boxers.

2 minutes ago, tirtha22 said:

In the current situation, it is very hard to remove corruption in boxing. Scoring methodology needs to be drastically overhauled with less human intervention.

Something like sensors detecting the clean punches or videos auto analysing points as per attacking and defensive moves of the boxers.

Isn't that how it`s in taekwondo?

1 minute ago, sounak said:

Exactly. If someone lands 100 clean punches while his opponent lands just 50, no judge could overrule that, no matter how badly he would like.

Boxing cant be like artistic gymnastic where marks are indeed arbitrary. Its not an artistic impression but counting punches. Are they so stupid to realise that...