website statistics

GB Triathlon

1 hour ago, mpjmcevoy said:

On that form, I wouldn't take Brownlee. My understanding is that they can more or less take who they want for the relay, the 30th place is irrelevant. On that showing, I'd pick on pure form with relay in mind, and that' probably Max Stapely.

Totally agree on Brownlee - there just isn't a strong enough argument to take him in my opinion. He wasn't going to be in contention in the individual event, but equally I don't think he would be willing to play the part of domestique for Alex Yee if it was necessary whereas I think Stapely would be willing and able to fulfill that role. It's disappointing that it doesn't look like he is due to compete again before the end of the qualifying window though.

18 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Totally agree on Brownlee - there just isn't a strong enough argument to take him in my opinion. He wasn't going to be in contention in the individual event, but equally I don't think he would be willing to play the part of domestique for Alex Yee if it was necessary whereas I think Stapely would be willing and able to fulfill that role. It's disappointing that it doesn't look like he is due to compete again before the end of the qualifying window though.

If you pick Stapely, or someone like him, you are gambling 1) on the relay and 2) as superdomestique for Yee to make sure he's not left on the swim - if Yee is at or near the front at the bike phase, he becomes big favourite (notwithstanding Pearson's brilliant run yesterday). The problem is everyone knows how to beat him, it's just do they have the lungs for it.

If you were taking an absolute outside punt for an individual medal it would and could only be Stapely, anyway, but it would be the outsidest of outside punts. My question basically is how good is his swim-bike - i.e.can he superdom for Yee if needed to drag him back to the peloton, and be up there or thereabout as a lead off man for the relay

:GBR Conor Bentley won the World Cup Event in :UZB Samarkand this morning. 

Jack Wilis was also competing and finished in 21st. 

In the women's event, Jessica Fullagar was second with Sian Rainsley in 8th place. 

12 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

:GBR Conor Bentley won the World Cup Event in :UZB Samarkand this morning. 

Jack Wilis was also competing and finished in 21st. 

In the women's event, Jessica Fullagar was second with Sian Rainsley in 8th place. 

Hmmm....Yee, Stapely and Bentley might be a nice set of post Paris men going forward. Fullager was one I noted to watch a while back, and again, may be well placed to step up post Paris.

9 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

So top 3 Brits in Cagliari

Beth Potter

Georgia Taylor Brown

Sophie Coldwell

Looks like Waugh & Rainsley will miss out on Paris.

I think Waugh has more in her locker than Coldwell, but she's not at peak form. Moreover, Coldwell is particularly good at supersprint relay; she might be a better 'sub' in that context than waugh right now. Hard to see past France, GBR fighting for silver in the relay.

To compete for the gold in the individual, we need to deploy the 3rd member as a domestique to break up the race on the bike (i.e. put Beaugrand into difficulty). To do this Coldwell is the best bet if she is content to play the team role for GTB and Beth.

Posted (edited)

Comfortable win for Yee.  Sam Dickenson made a big statement in his bid for Man Two in Paris with a huge swim/bike effort.  Looks like the final men’s place will be decided at a sprint race showdown next weekend, think it’s the European Cup race in Vigo :ESP

Edited by Grassmarket

11 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Comfortable win for Yee.  Sam Dickenson made a big statement in his bid for Man Two in Paris with a huge swim/bike effort.  Looks like the final men’s place will be decided at a sprint race showdown next weekend, think it’s the European Cup race in Vigo :ESP

Wasn't aware until today that Stapley is in the odd position of being eligible for GBR right now - but NOT for these Olympics because he started the Paris process in Australian colours. however both Stapely and Milner look solid candidates for the future. Given Yee also has at least 1 if not two more cycles in him, the men's cupboard is not as bare as I feared a few months ago. Waugh and Fullager, I suspect, will step up post Paris on the distaff side.

Personally, I'd take Dickinson, a competent super sprint relay lead and he proved his credentials as a pilot today