website statistics

GB Athletics

5 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

The only problem I forsee is that IOC may consider the period just too short since Euros, and I suppose GBR may have plans for O'Dowda - but frankly, if they've real plans for her, they'll pick her. They have a number of good young potential heirs to KJT already even without O'Dowda - so it might actually suit everyone. GBR will move forward with Holly Mills and Abi Pawlett, IRL with Kate O'Connor and Jade O'Dowda, nobody loses out, everyone's happy.

Holly Mills is not even close to being competitive at the moment. Don't see her or Niamh Emerson ever fulfulling the clear potential both have for fitness reasons.

Given that O'Dowda is 6th on the UK all time list with her performance in Rome, I don't see them wanting to let her go.

Apologies for the crude working, but thought this might be of interest. This is a list of all those in ranking spots as of today, those that are likely to be accepted under the policy and info about those I know are injured.

It's been said before but Norris and Purchase are both pretty damning exclusions if it happens.

image.png

1 hour ago, Epic Failure said:

Apologies for the crude working, but thought this might be of interest. This is a list of all those in ranking spots as of today, those that are likely to be accepted under the policy and info about those I know are injured.

It's been said before but Norris and Purchase are both pretty damning exclusions if it happens.

image.png

If I were Okoye I would be nervous on "current form" grounds. Personally I think Purchase, Norris and Ikeji make much more sense as development opportunities, while Nuttall and Norman are much better shouts on "current form".

FTR, I'd still take Okoye, because he's met what was asked of him. And I'd take Lally and Strickler-Campbell, because I like 'em!

1 hour ago, Epic Failure said:

image.png

In most cases our athletes aren't even scrapping in, in fact they're doing more than enough to ensure their in one of the ranking spots. The fact that Buckner and UKA don't even see this and treat the rankings as a B standard is disgraceful and should be called out by some of the pundits working on the athletics at the Olympics (which they won't). 

1 minute ago, mpjmcevoy said:

If I were Okoye I would be nervous on "current form" grounds. Personally I think Purchase, Norris and Ikeji make much more sense as development opportunities, while Nuttall and Norman are much better shouts on "current form".

FTR, I'd still take Okoye, because he's met what was asked of him. And I'd take Lally and Strickler-Campbell, because I like 'em!

Campbell hurt her back at trials so might not be fit to compete anyway. As for Lally, she's been long overdue an Olympic berth (12 years to be exact) and this might've been her last true shot to do so. 

4 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Okoye has hit the UKA Q this season, at the DL in Doha. The current form criterion says athletes have to be "at or near" the standard between April 1st and June 30th. So he has done that. He's also been "near" on other occasions.

Obviously that criterion is there to give them an out, so to speak. But I don't think he's that much at risk.

Personally, I'd take everyone. But even if that wasn't going to happen, of those likely to miss out, Norris, Purchase and Hunt in the 200m are no brainers for me.

Hunt being in the 200m means that you can select Lansiquot in the 100m with no issue as well as Henry and Philip in the relay squad. Which allows Dina/Daryll more rest if they get to finals. As it is, assuming that we select Lansiquot, only 2 of the 3 others would be selected. Which also means we have to use one of Daryll or Dina in the heats (unless we use an out of form Bianca Williams).

1 minute ago, Epic Failure said:

Okoye has hit the UKA Q this season, at the DL in Doha. The current form criterion says athletes have to be "at or near" the standard between April 1st and June 30th. So he has done that. He's also been "near" on other occasions.

Obviously that criterion is there to give them an out, so to speak. But I don't think he's that much at risk.

Personally, I'd take everyone. But even if that wasn't going to happen, of those likely to miss out, Norris, Purchase and Hunt in the 200m are no brainers for me.

Hunt being in the 200m means that you can select Lansiquot in the 100m with no issue as well as Henry and Philip in the relay squad. Which allows Dina/Daryll more rest if they get to finals. As it is, assuming that we select Lansiquot, only 2 of the 3 others would be selected. Which also means we have to use one of Daryll or Dina in the heats (unless we use an out of form Bianca Williams).

I could live with it if it were even as generous as the old B standard, which usually meant you could only bring 1 in the event, not three - so if you get two or three invites in an event, I can see the argument for going, ok Nuttall, Norman, Purchase, Strickler, Norris, yer in - but Kenny, Verity etc, sorry but we only take one invite per event - at least then the 'leading brit' represents the country.

11 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

In most cases our athletes aren't even scrapping in, in fact they're doing more than enough to ensure their in one of the ranking spots. The fact that Buckner and UKA don't even see this and treat the rankings as a B standard is disgraceful and should be called out by some of the pundits working on the athletics at the Olympics (which they won't). 

Some of them will. There was a lot of debate at the World Indoors