website statistics

GB Athletics

21 hours ago, RussB said:

Lina smashes her PB in the 400m flat and goes 50.78.

Interesting and welcome boost to the women's 4x4 chances. With the lack of form shown by Ohorougu, the sisters look like joining Amber as pencilled in names for the first choice squad.

Odd, I though Vicky might find form, but Bianca in the 200 seems to be doing better. worth noting some improvement in Jessie Knight too. The one thing GBR has in its favour is depth. It has no Bol, No Syd, No Rhasidat..but it has a lot of very good 400 women coming into decent form at roughly the same time - it's a pity that neither Mary yemi nor Ama has quite kicked on this year, but MYJ may still show, Jode looks actually in ok shape, and the Nielsens and Amber look pretty strong. If GB #1 Amber doesn't lose too much to the superstars in 4 or 5 teams, the Neilseens can probably hold their own against everyone else bar USA, and then there's a medal chance depending on who 'man 4' is. FWIW I always like hurdlers on the relay, because they're rarely faster, but they're often stronger at the point the races start resembling middle distance

1 hour ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Odd, I though Vicky might find form, but Bianca in the 200 seems to be doing better. worth noting some improvement in Jessie Knight too. The one thing GBR has in its favour is depth. It has no Bol, No Syd, No Rhasidat..but it has a lot of very good 400 women coming into decent form at roughly the same time - it's a pity that neither Mary yemi nor Ama has quite kicked on this year, but MYJ may still show, Jode looks actually in ok shape, and the Nielsens and Amber look pretty strong. If GB #1 Amber doesn't lose too much to the superstars in 4 or 5 teams, the Neilseens can probably hold their own against everyone else bar USA, and then there's a medal chance depending on who 'man 4' is. FWIW I always like hurdlers on the relay, because they're rarely faster, but they're often stronger at the point the races start resembling middle distance

I thought Yeargin was likely to stamp her authority on a final line up spot but you’re right there is a lot of depth and competition. I would be disappointed if the team can’t snatch a bronze in Paris, as surely will be there or thereabouts, but we need Amber to be in PB sort of form I think.

It's worth noting that those runs from Lina, Jessie and Bianca and others were from La Chaux de Fonds. Which has a...questionable reputation amongst athletics fans.

Good for head to head comparisons between those there but I wouldn't pay much attention to the raw times themselves. It's the track equivalent of the distances done in Ramona.

That being said, Lina being ahead of VO is good for her claims to a relay spot no matter the circumstances.

14 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

It's worth noting that those runs from Lina, Jessie and Bianca and others were from La Chaux de Fonds. Which has a...questionable reputation amongst athletics fans.

Good for head to head comparisons between those there but I wouldn't pay much attention to the raw times themselves. It's the track equivalent of the distances done in Ramona.

That being said, Lina being ahead of VO is good for her claims to a relay spot no matter the circumstances.

London diamond league meeting on Sat will provide more evidence to quantify exactly where the athletes are, Lina is clearly in great PB shape and despite the altitude of La Chaux de Fonds, it was very positive how strongly she finished the race in the last 50. Hopefully she lowers her 400M H mark once again this weekend.

Hodgkinson and Hudson - Smith both now going into Paris as favourite for gold in their events. Both look at their very best.

Caudrey through looks to be losing form at the worse time sadly. I’m hopefully but not particularly optimistic about her medlalimg. 

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

Hodgkinson and Hudson - Smith both now going into Paris as favourite for gold in their events. Both look at their very best.

Caudrey through looks to be losing form at the worse time sadly. I’m hopefully but not particularly optimistic about her medlalimg. 

Based on what exactly? The only consistent performer is Kennedy. Behind her you have Moser (whose form closely aligns with Molly), Katie Moon who this year is most definitely out of form and then a bevy of McCartney / Murta etc who have hardly been setting the world alight. Now she was 5/4 favourite when markets opened i saw this week, which I agree should be lengthened and Kennedy I'd probably have as slight favourite, but to predict her not medalling in Paris is an over reaction.

5 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

Any chance Sam Reardon gets in the 4x400m squad if there is a withdrawal

Who do you think is dropping out? Toby has been complaining of a back issue today, but seems like a minor issue.

That 44.7 is startling. Selectors must be absolutely gutted on him not being part of the 4x4 squad which is a genuine threat to the US with Matt and Charlie. 

4 minutes ago, RussB said:

Who do you think is dropping out? Toby has been complaining of a back issue today, but seems like a minor issue.

That 44.7 is startling. Selectors must be absolutely gutted on him not being part of the 4x4 squad which is a genuine threat to the US with Matt and Charlie. 

I wasn't expecting any drop outs, but I would presume that if there were he would be first in line if he is elegible. 

I believe so. Not sure if any nominated reserves were formally declared.

on the women’s side, a sub 50 for laviai and Amber, with Vicky going 50.76. A solid win for YMJ in a 51.16 rounds out the women’s form team for the relay in addition to Jessie and Lina.

I have no idea who they will “burden” with the mixed relay, although I think the decision to preserve Matt is becoming more justified. Would be interested if they still go with Amber Charlie and 2 others in a final (if they get there) to give them a shot at a medal