website statistics

Modern Pentathlon 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

1 hour ago, mpjmcevoy said:

What you want is Either -

a rugby sevens style 'shield, plate and bowl' competition which will give everyone broadly equal matches, and a detailed ranking OR

a 'tournament' with seeded groups of four, followed again by a 'shield, plate and bowl' style ranking competition (my preference, so first loss does not condemn you to 17th place at best)

For 32 competitors, that would work out at 4 matches each in scenario 1 or 6 matches each in scenario 2, but would still have a certain sporting authenticity to it, ad would increase the actual jeapordy of each match.

Exactly. Or you have a seeded competition based on a four-year world rankings on fencing and if you’re knocked out in Round 1, whose fault is that?

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Exactly. Or you have a seeded competition based on a four-year world rankings on fencing and if you’re knocked out in Round 1, whose fault is that?

I guess I'm nervous of a system that gives more points to a straight WLLL than a  LWWW - it makes that first match worth more than all the others combined; a tournament system works better, I think because you earn your way to the extra points.

Of course, if you had time, 4 groups of eight would be even better, perhaps using time to score as the equivalent of goal difference. You could then break into 4 set of eight - each fencer then has 7+3 matches, which sounds a lot compared to maybe 4 or 6, but is still vastly less than the current complete round robin.

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

SCHORMANN IS RETIRING,I GOT MY WISH,YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS:hyper:.

Out of curiousity: what are some of the potential changes pentathlon fans are hoping for with a different UIPM president? Like, any chance of going back to actual shooting for example?

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

This comes across as a rather sad and desperate attempt to justify the changes being made to the sport :facepalm:

Pierre de Coubertin speaks to the evolution of the Modern Pentathlon | Union Internationale de Pentathlon Moderne (UIPM) (uipmworld.org)

yep,i found this to be super pathetic.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Out of curiousity: what are some of the potential changes pentathlon fans are hoping for with a different UIPM president? Like, any chance of going back to actual shooting for example?

to stop changing the goddamn sport,enough is enough,the evoliution has been made[overdone in my opinion],and the ioc can shove it up their asses if it's not enough,while they do nothing about other sports [the boxing decisions that never go well,wrestling problems,Badminton/table tennis fixed matches] Modern pentahtlon is by far not the problem  child of the olympic movement.No there's zero chance shooting by itself is coming back,the laser run is it's own thing,but it's the most exciting final that the sport can produce, 4 laps of 800 metres by itself ?[that is the distance,they have made it as short as possible to once again please the ioc overlords] no thank you,that would be really boring and we could all predict the medalists with no problems,no athlete at the elite level wants shooting back by itself,including the few from that era that still remain in the sport,i can assure you of that.Personally i just want a new president who doesn't lick the ioc's ass[ on the uipm article announcing his retirement,no current athlete expressed their sadness,no surprise there,this was a long time coming]I think all that the fans expect would be their star athletes actually being listened to and not mowed over,like what happened with this whole riding debacle,as top athlete voices were completely ignored,over some national federation heads,that don't even have athletes at world cup level.So yeah respect for the stars of the sport would be the highest expectation i believe,along with not bending over anymore to the ioc.  

Edited by Biathlonfan