website statistics

Nations that can win their first Olympic medal at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bearas said:

:RWA - cycling and long distance running

Much as I would like to see otherwise, because it'd be truly awesome, in cycling there's just really not even a small chance I'm afraid :p (even with a miracle, Rwanda has kind of stopped developing entirely sadly)

In terms of African medals in (road) cycling (not first ever medals for a country) Eritrea, Mauritius and with a miracle South Africa or Ethiopia are the only ones with even a remote chance.

Edit: it may have sounded too much like 'you are wrong', that's not how I meant it, to be clear, this is of course also just my view :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Such a shame that like :MKD:ALB will also probably have their first ever Olympic medal come from a naturalised athlete who has nothing to do with the country...

Also in before they start trying to claim Dimas, Sabanis, and Kokas :lol: Manjani and I think Mitrou were actually Albanians though to be fair.

At least North Macedonia now have a proper Macedonian medalist in Georgievski

Meanwhile this week Kimberley Le Court Pienaar has shown again, but this time even more, that a rare medal for Mauritius :MRI is far from impossible. It would be their 2nd ever, but since in theory there's a chance for their 1st gold ever (and again, I would like to stress that does not mean I see her as one of the big favourites), I thought maybe it'd still be worth to keep an eye on her in this thread :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 7/9/2024 at 4:05 AM, Bearas said:

Only my opinions

Big chance:

:ALB - naturalised wrestlers + potential impact from Gega

Good chance:

:IVB - strong chances in athletics

:DMA LaFond in Triple Jump

Small chance:

:AND - women's canoeing

:BEN - leaving room for Yarigo to surprise everyone, although very small chances.

:BIH - Pudar have small chances in swimming.

:GUI - football, everyone's game.

:LES - small chances in marathon

:MAD - women's weightlifting, especially post disqualifications

:MLI - football and taekwondo

:LCA - athletics

Miracle needed:

:ANG - competes in various sports, but no athletes that can win a medal imo

:ANT - always decent in athletics sprints and sailing, but not close to medals

:ARU - we had surprise victories in BMX before, so you never know, otherwise not really..

:CPV - we have seen surprise medals in boxing and with relatively small boxing pools, there might be a chance

:COD - we have seen surprise medals in boxing and with relatively small boxing pools, there might be a chance

:ESA - competes in numerous sports, maybe surfing can be a bit more unexpected

:GAM - taekwondo produced some surprise medal winners before, so...

:GUM - with weightlifting disqualification, they might receive medal after few years hehe..

:GBS - simply because of surprise element of combat sports.

:LBR - healthy athletics sprinting squad

:MON - miracle needed for table tennis

:PNG - weightlifting

:RWA - cycling and long distance running

No chance:

:ASA:BAN:BIZ:BHU:BOL:BRU:CAM:CAY:CAF:CHA:COM:CGO:COK:SWZ:GEQ:HON:KIR:LAO:LBA:MAW:MDV:MLT:MHL:MTN:FSM:MYA:NRU:NEP:NCA:OMA:PLW:PLE:SKN:VIN:STP:SEY:SLE:SOL:SOM:SSD:TLS:TUV:VAN:YEM 

I have a feeling that in Tokyo 2020 there were many strong contenders from no-medal countries, but this year, I agree with you, if 2 or 3 new countries appear will be good.

On 7/13/2024 at 10:35 AM, heywoodu said:

Meanwhile this week Kimberley Le Court Pienaar has shown again, but this time even more, that a rare medal for Mauritius :MRI is far from impossible. It would be their 2nd ever, but since in theory there's a chance for their 1st gold ever (and again, I would like to stress that does not mean I see her as one of the big favourites), I thought maybe it'd still be worth to keep an eye on her in this thread :p 

Final Giro d'Italia stage today:

Spoiler

Le Court took the win in a tough final stage, historic result for :MRI Mauritius cycling and showing once again that she is more than just a far away outsider for Paris!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, El Analyzer said:

:DMA Thea LaFond W triple jump 

:LCA  Julien Alfred W 100 m running

good prediction guys

@Speedy @Bearas @Topicmaster1010 @SalamAkhi @Cinnamon Bun

Great to see this results. :CPV also with first medal in boxing btw.