website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I don't practice it myself, but I can easily ask for some basic tips on cross-country skiing if you'd like. Unless you mean in terms of where to do that, that's a bit harder :p 

Well, my problem is with the Freestyle technique. I took some lessons last time I went (since I already know how to do classic), but the whole my instructor tried to tell me that this and speed skating were  similar. However, when I tried to recreate my Skating form, I found it didn’t work. So my questions would be, how do you put power into the skis, and how do you stay gliding without pushing off after each kick (stroke, skate (whatever you call it))?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Well, my problem is with the Freestyle technique. I took some lessons last time I went (since I already know how to do classic), but the whole my instructor tried to tell me that this and speed skating were  similar. However, when I tried to recreate my Skating form, I found it didn’t work. So my questions would be, how do you put power into the skis, and how do you stay gliding without pushing off after each kick (stroke, skate (whatever you call it))?

Just to clarify, you're doing this on snow (and so 'normal' skis), right? Not rollerskis?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, wumo26 said:

It's also a bit strange that the video I posted is two years old and now Eurosport show it. 

This video is only 8 months old and is about the winter in Slovakia too. Why not choose this one? 

I have No idea how it works in Denmark :p but I guess, because the add is much longer than the first one, you know, shorter = cheaper :d

Anyway if they really want to promote Slovakia in winter they just should put the happy video that for some bizarre reasons gathered more views than inhabittants of the whole country in only some 2-3 weeks after the video was aired for the first time  :p

Just now, hckosice said:

Anyway if they really want to promote Slovakia in winter they just should put the happy video that for some bizarre reasons gathered more views than inhabittants of the whole country in only some 2-3 weeks after the video was aired for the first time  :p

Yeah I'm sure a lady dancing in a bikini has nothing to do with that :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Just to clarify, you're doing this on snow (and so 'normal' skis), right? Not rollerskis?

Yes, I drive 4 hours to a place every winter to get some skiing in

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, rybak said:

Still this one is the best

No, buddy the best ever Slovak promo video is this one. because..you know

Slovak Republic is Hockey Republic

this video is emotionally so strong. that I almost cried the first time I saw it

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, I drive 4 hours to a place every winter to get some skiing in

Got an answer, I hope it's useful for you :d 

Spoiler

The most important is to use the edges of the skis. Let's say it like this:

You are gliding on the left leg, to transfer to the right leg you need to turn a little bit your left foot in a way you will be touching the snow only with the inside part(egde) of your left ski. This way, your ski won't "slip" when you "jump" on your right leg/ski because you will have a friction on the snow. So, when you "jump" on your right leg, you have to land on the edge of your ski too, but the outside edge. After landing on the outside edge and getting your balance back, you can turn your foot in a way that your ski will be completely on the snow (not only the edge anymore) so you will glide faster. When you start losing speed, you push with your poles, turn you foot to the "inside edge", jump to the other side, land on the outside edge and then, when you have balance again, you turn your ski to glide more... You repeat it all the time

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

I wonder why so many people clicked on this video that shows a woman in a bikini :mumble:

The city where I studied the past few years made the same kind of video and it has 1.4 millions views (it has a population of only 150.000) :thumbup: (I think you'll like it Kamil, there's the hockey team in it :p):