website statistics

Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2020

11 minutes ago, Werloc said:

I think that Enrique Iglesias has ruined Spanish songs for me for my entire existence

And the resurgance of reggaeton is the death of me (The US Billboard charts with all that lovely trap and reggaeton music, I'm looking at you)

Never in my life have I listened to a genre and thought that you could literally drop a lawsuit for copyright on any song, because they're all the same.

I can’t stand Latin pop music. English pop is all about love, sex, breakups, or drugs. Spanish pop is about parties, drugs, sex, love, and breakups. Both are the worst! There’s zero lyrical merit to most of those songs. Those are generally the songs I eliminate after one round of voting. I want something unique, that carries a good or interesting message, that has a solid musical composition, and that shows good vocal range, control, uniqueness. If you want my twelve points, that is the criteria for earning them. I realize some of the US song selections go against that, but I realize my criteria is quite different from what wins, so “if you can’t beat em’, join em’.”

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I didn’t get that feeling from the Portuguese song. For me, I hate music that doesn’t convey a message. So Mexico (bleh), Israel (meh), the others were good through. I also hate how every song as become “You dumped me, and I don’t need you.” “Y’all mistreat me, but I’m independent.” “Girl I love you.” etc. Those songs aren’t all dead to me because their are some really creative ways of expressing those sentiments, but songs like the New Zeland song score hugest one lyrical merit in my book.

You'd like my songwriting. Mine is mostly about me breaking my own heart :lol:

2 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

So basically all music from 2010 till now. :d

It’s a big issue, but you can’t completely right off an entire genre. As much as I hate pop, there are still some great songs out there, and pop songs regularly get points from me. I hate (like send it down to Satan hatred) country music, but even their I can find some songs that absolutely derive acclaim and merit.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s a big issue, but you can’t completely right off an entire genre. As much as I hate pop, there are still some great songs out there, and pop songs regularly get points from me. I hate (like send it down to Satan hatred) country music, but even their I can find some songs that absolutely derive acclaim and merit.

I am not disregarding any genre. :d That includes country, which has very good songs i may add. I'm just saying the variety of music has drastically dropped in the last 10-15 years. All mainstream songs sound pretty much the same. If i have to look through three sites, 5 charts down, 2 editors opinions to find good songs from different genres, then there is definitely a problem.  

5 minutes ago, Werloc said:

You'd like my songwriting. Mine is mostly about me breaking my own heart :lol:

You’re very poetic though. So while the message of your song might not be the most mentally stimulating, I can still enjoy your music. I also recognize that you do this for a living, so you have to try appeal somewhat to mainstream if you want money. My tastes aren’t mainstream, so while the song you submitted last year wasn’t my favorite, I was still good because of the other factors you have going for you. Plus you have a fantastic voice, a very skillful vocal control.

It really comes down to how creative you can be, and you’ve been plenty creative, at least from the songs of yours that I have listened to, or that have made my playlist. I mean, it really doesn’t matter how I feel about your music because art is subject, and it’s more about what you get from it. I love the poems I write, but their not for everyone, and they deal with a lot of uncomfortable or political topics. A lot of people are turned off by that, but I love writing them, and that’s what matters in the end. Plus, you never know who’s reading/listening to your work. I’ve been surprised a few times by the standard of people who enjoy the poems are release dates once in a while.

P.S This man does a very good cover of Arcade (like seriously damn good).

https://youtu.be/7k_4Dz8zabk

Just now, Federer91 said:

I am not disregarding any genre. :d That includes country, which has very good songs i may add. I'm just saying the variety of music has drastically dropped in the last 10-15 years. All mainstream songs sound pretty much the same. If i have to look through three sites, 5 charts down, 2 editors opinions to find good songs from different genres, then there is definitely a problem.  

Yeah, the mainstream has really closed the door on creativity, but I wouldn’t say that the variety of music has dropped, it’s just harder to find like @Werloc said. 

1 minute ago, Federer91 said:

The punk / alternative and rock scenes really really suffered in the last 10 years.

Indie although used that to its advantage and has become a lot more popular in the last decade.

Soul and Jazz took a backseat as well, because R&B became more marketable.

Hip-Hop devolved into Trap and that's how it survived.

A lot of the genres suffered from the fact that recording live instruments is no longer a very common practice, because it's less cost-efficient than just one person playing around with a computer, having the entire world of sounds at his/her fingertips.

24 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I didn’t get that feeling from the Portuguese song. For me, I hate music that doesn’t convey a message. So Mexico (bleh), Israel (meh), the others were good through. I also hate how every song as become “You dumped me, and I don’t need you.” “Y’all mistreat me, but I’m independent.” “Girl I love you.” etc. Those songs aren’t all dead to me because their are some really creative ways of expressing those sentiments, but songs like the New Zeland song score hugest one lyrical merit in my book.

Well, too each their own. That's why the scores are always so lovingly all over the place. ;)

Personally, I don't particularly care about the lyrics. Partly because even with translation something is always lost, so why bother? My top priorities are the general sound, the rhytm of course and certain "X-factor"...

#banbestmen