website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2016 Wild Cards

In which sports could Swaziland realistically have a chance of receiving a wild card in case they apply? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

In which sports could Swaziland realistically have a chance of receiving a wild card in case they apply? 

Probably only judo (in addition to athletics and swimming).

#banbestmen

Em 5/5/2016 at 15:54, intoronto disse:

IMO wildcards in sports outside athletics and swimming should be given to the best eligible countries.

I like the idea of gymnastics distributing wild cards, but FIG should be consistent in ensuring more nations get to benefit from the experience at the Olympic Games. This is the third time in the last four editions that the wild card in rhythmics goes to Cape Verde. What's the point? They are not investing in rhythmics at all for a long time, but somehow they are rewarded more often than not.

Other than athletics, swimming and gymnastics, I like the idea of handling wildcards in weightlifting, boxing and wrestling. Wild cards in taekwondo seem like an exaggeration. This makes the competition weaker, and the point should be getting the best of the best in sports with few participants. The risk for the wild card athletes of getting a RSC because their opponents are much better than they are is huge.

On 08.05.2016. at 22:47, thiago_simoes said:

Other than athletics, swimming and gymnastics, I like the idea of handling wildcards in weightlifting, boxing and wrestling. Wild cards in taekwondo seem like an exaggeration. This makes the competition weaker, and the point should be getting the best of the best in sports with few participants. The risk for the wild card athletes of getting a RSC because their opponents are much better than they are is huge.

Not necessarily the true. Back in 2012, a guy from Yemen received a wild card in taekwondo and he eliminated silver medalist from Beijing in the first round. And it's not like he was some good and known athlete who just missed a qualification, similar to the athletes that got wild cards this time. Plus, like intoronto said, taekwondo is very popular in a lot of small nations.

From my experience of watching, it's more common and easier for weaker athletes to get a RSC in boxing or FALL in wrestling rather than RSC in taekwondo.

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

And let me guess, it will go to Mr. Nedžad Fazlija, just like the last 5 Olympics? :lol::facepalm:

no, this time is girl :d (i hoped they will get in some other sport so that they doesn't send him again :D)