website statistics

Boxing at the Asian Games 2022 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

14 hours ago, Roamingrover86 said:

@Ogreman You might want to revisit er predictions again. We are at the QF stage now with medals & quotas just 1/2 fights away. Plenty of upsets , shocks & surprising results while some fights went as per expectations some were debatable decisions. 
What do you make of it so far? 

Yeah its been an interesting one. I'll be honest I haven't managed to watch as many of these fights as I would have liked but anyway. Obviously my predictions are not proving to be particularly accurate but should roughly on track to be somewhere over 50% and similar to my accuracy at the European and African qualifiers. Obviously boxing is a very volatile sport and as such difficult to predict but assuming that someone with perfect knowledge (ie the absolute most accurate possible predictions) which I am far from would only hit on about 75% or so percent of qualifiers I think these predictions are at least reasonable. So quickly running through the weights. The schedule is designed to have 3 days with finals so there are some boxers that haven't started competing yet and others the medals and Olympic qualifiers havve already been decided.

Womens 50kg- I should have probably included Yesugen Oyunsetseg in my other Olympic calibre boxers list but I am quite surprised that she beat Kyzaibay. The other notable results are Chuthamat Raksat beating Tsukimi Namiki and Nikhat Zareen hammering Thi tham Nguyen. This one has mostly gone too form though outside of Oyunsetseg springing a bit of a surprise.

Womens 54kg- Not too much of note here except Yuan Chang surprisingly beating Jutamas Jitpong it was a 3-2 split decision and she likely got a bit of a hometown helping hand but lets see how she does does against Hsiao Wen Huang. 

Women's 57kg- So Parveen did beat Xu Zichun. Probably should have picked that to happen but anyway.

Women's 60kg- So the unknown North Koreans strike. Won Ungyong beats Oh Yeonji. 

Nothing especially notable at 66 or 75kg

For the men 

51kg- The draw gave us a couple of big early fights with Hasanboy Dusmatov once again beating Saken Bibossinov and Tomoya Tsuboi beating Deepak. Thankfully I predicted both of these right though. Unfortunately on the other side of the draw Aaron Jude Bado lost and Rsc-I (injury) in the first round so that pick went out the window straight away. So Chonryong beating Makhmetov probably isn't that surprising but there is an Olympic quota very much up for grabs here between Thitisan Panmot, So Chonryong and Po Wei Tu.

57kg- Still early in tis one but picking Shahbaksh to medal was dumb of me. Carlo Paalam beat Mohamed Abu Jajeh despite the size mismatch.

63.5kg- Possibly the most interesting weightclass here so far. Chinzorig Baatarsukh reversed the result of the world champs final a few months ago and beat Ruslan Abdullaev. I rewatched the world champs fight and Baatarsukh certainly had a case to win that one too. Strange to see a 30 year old suddenly hit their prime. You don't see that too often in amateur boxing but of course most of them rarely get there. Shiva Thapa losing to Askat Toltaev was bad. Even out of form he shouldn't lose that fight. Chu En Lai now becomes the massive favourite for the second Olympic quota now. As I said at the start I haven't seen that many of the fights here so far but the only disgraceful judging decision I've seen was the Bakhodur Usmonov Yertugen Zeinnulinov fight. I have no idea how 3 judges decided the Kazakh won that one.

71kg- So I said Nuradin Rustambek Uulu should cruise to a medal because no one in his bracket was any use at all and sure enough he lost his first fight to Chia Wei Kan. To be fair to me though Chia Wei kan is not a good boxer. My man Bayramdurdy Nurmuhammedov is stilll on for the Olymipic quota. Eashash losin to Okazawa was interesting as well but the most intersting fights here are the two quarter finals at the bottom fo this draw.

80kg- Tanglatihan Tuohaetaerbieke edged past Nurbek Oralbay. Other than that nothing surpising.

92kg- So Lazizbek Mullojonov lost to Han Xuezhen. Did not see that one coming. Apparently I know nothing about heavyweight because I managed to get all of the medallists wrong here I think.

92+kg- Nothing of note yet.

Olympic quotas in  Women’s 75 KG ( 2 Quota places) 

:IND :CHN

Olympic quotas in  Men’s 71 KG ( 2 Quota places) 

:TPE & :JPN

Olympic quotas in Men’s 63.5 Kg ( 2 Quota places) 

:TPE & :MGL

Olympic quotas in Men’s  +92 KG (2 Quota places)

:KAZ & :UZB

Edited by Roamingrover86

Olympic quotas in  Women’s 66 KG ( 2 Quota places) 

:THA & :CHN

Olympic quotas in  Men’s 51 KG ( 2 Quota places) 

:THA & :UZB

Olympic quotas in Men’s 80 Kg ( 2 Quota places) 

:CHN & :PHI

Olympic quotas in Men’s 57 KG (2 Quota places)

:JPN:UZB

All 34 ( 14 M + 20 F ) quota places have been allocated at the asian games.

As the draw was unseeded, it resulted in lopsided draws in few weight classes. As a result few boxers qualified who wouldn’t have qualified otherwise. 

Few of the big names missed out, both the world qualifiers will be highly competitive & getting a quota place won’t be easy. 

Here is a breakdown of where the quotas went : 

:CHN - 7 ( 2M + 5W)

:UZB - 4 ( 3M + 1W) 

:TPE - 4 ( 2M + 2W) 

:THA - 4 ( 1M + 3W)

:IND - 4 (4W)

:JPN - 2 ( 2M)

:KAZ - 2 ( 1M + 1W)

:TJK - 2 ( 1M + 1W) 

:MGL - 2 ( 1M + 1 W) 

:PRK - 2 (2W) 

:PHI - 1 (1M) 

Terrible performance from us in men’s weight classes. Not even 1 quota & just 1 bronze medal . We expected to qualify 3 of our girls but 4/6 is a great result. 
Shocking results for KAZ & even UZB These nations always send a full team on the men’s side. 

10 minutes ago, dodge said:

Really shocking to see Kazakhstan with only 2 qualifiers. With GB only having one man qualified, and Cuba and the USA with small teams for the Pan Am qualifiers, the world tournaments could be chaos next year!

The USA has an athlete in every weight class for the Pan Am Games.

Edited by intoronto