website statistics

Modern Pentathlon UIPM World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

The fencing round for tomorrow's men's semi-finals has just finished:

Semi-Final A

1) :HUN Bence Demeter 23V - 240 pts

2) :CHN Zhang Linbin 22V - 235 pts

3) :EGY Mohanad Shaban 22V - 235 pts (Quota)

4) :KOR Jung Jinhwa 21V - 230 pts

5) :UKR Oleksandr Tovkai 21V - 230 pts (Quota)

6) :MEX Emiliano Hernandez 21V - 230 pts

7) :GER Marvin Dogue 18V - 215 pts (Quota)

8) :EGY Ahmed Elgendy 17V - 210 pts

9) :ITA Matteo Cicinelli 17V - 210 pts

Semi-Final B

1) :GER Patrick Dogue 22V - 235 pts

2) :GBR Jo Choong 22V - 235 pts (Quota)

3) :EGY Mohamed Elgendy 22V - 235 pts

4) :FRA Valentin Belaud 21V - 230 pts

5) :KOR Lee Jihun 21V - 230 pts

6) :KOR Jun Woongate 21V - 230 pts

7) :CZE Jan Kuf 18V - 215 pts

8) :HUN Csaba Bohm 18V - 215 pts (Quota)

9) :FRA Valentin Prades 18V - 215 pts (Quota)

:LTU Titas Puronas and :GBR Myles Pillage also finished with 18V for 215 points.

Tragic that Lithuania has no stakes in Olympic qualification here, because Asadauskaitė can't qualify twice :p 

Huge underperformance in fencing sunk both Venčkauskaitė's and Serapinaitė's chances, so one of them will most likely qualify through UIPM rankings. 

Edited by Werloc

3 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The fencing round for tomorrow's men's semi-finals has just finished:

Semi-Final A

1) :HUN Bence Demeter 23V - 240 pts

2) :CHN Zhang Linbin 22V - 235 pts

7) :GER Marvin Dogue 18V - 215 pts (Quota)

8) :EGY Ahmed Elgendy 17V - 210 pts

Semi-Final B

1) :GER Patrick Dogue 22V - 235 pts

2) :GBR Jo Choong 22V - 235 pts (Quota)

3) :EGY Mohamed Elgendy 22V - 235 pts

4) :FRA Valentin Belaud 21V - 230 pts

5) :KOR Lee Jihun 21V - 230 pts

6) :KOR Jun Woongate 21V - 230 pts

7) :CZE Jan Kuf 18V - 215 pts

8) :HUN Csaba Bohm 18V - 215 pts (Quota)

9) :FRA Valentin Prades 18V - 215 pts (Quota)

:LTU Titas Puronas and :GBR Myles Pillage also finished with 18V for 215 points.

Wasnt Gutkowski qualifed in semifinal?

Also, Maliszewska have a chance for quota here or its more possible for her to qualify via world ranking?

16 minutes ago, rybak said:

Wasnt Gutkowski qualifed in semifinal?

Also, Maliszewska have a chance for quota here or its more possible for her to qualify via world ranking?

Yes, Gutkowski qualified for the semi final and recorded 16 wins in the fencing - he is currently 12th in Semi-Final B (I've just recorded the top 9  because it is only the top 9 in each semi who will qualify)

As for Maliszewska, she starts the final in 12th place overall after the fencing round. Her swim in the semi was 2:19.47 which was off the back of a 2:21.12 in qualification. The only other recent result I have on file for her was in the Ankara World Cup leg where she swam 2:23.52 so indications are that the swim leg isn't a huge strength for her, and the likelihood is that she will be in the bottom half of the field.

Her run leg in the semi final was 11:21.80 which was the quickest I seen from her - she ran 11:59.50 in qualification, and she has a 12:40.60 from Ankara. 

Given it's only the top 3 to qualify here personally, I wouldn't be considering Maliszewska as a favourite. Nevertheless, at the moment, despite the fact that she is ranked 53 in the world, she is well placed to qualify through the UIPM Olympic Ranking where she is currently ranked 5th and is the first non-qualified athlete in the list. 

4 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Yes, Gutkowski qualified for the semi final and recorded 16 wins in the fencing - he is currently 12th in Semi-Final B (I've just recorded the top 9  because it is only the top 9 in each semi who will qualify)

As for Maliszewska, she starts the final in 12th place overall after the fencing round. Her swim in the semi was 2:19.47 which was off the back of a 2:21.12 in qualification. The only other recent result I have on file for her was in the Ankara World Cup leg where she swam 2:23.52 so indications are that the swim leg isn't a huge strength for her, and the likelihood is that she will be in the bottom half of the field.

Her run leg in the semi final was 11:21.80 which was the quickest I seen from her - she ran 11:59.50 in qualification, and she has a 12:40.60 from Ankara. 

Given it's only the top 3 to qualify here personally, I wouldn't be considering Maliszewska as a favourite. Nevertheless, at the moment, despite the fact that she is ranked 53 in the world, she is well placed to qualify through the UIPM Olympic Ranking where she is currently ranked 5th and is the first non-qualified athlete in the list. 

The fact so many of the top ranked pentathletes have already secured a quota does rather reduce the jeopardy in terms both of the two world champs and the rankings quotas

1 minute ago, mpjmcevoy said:

The fact so many of the top ranked pentathletes have already secured a quota does rather reduce the jeopardy in terms both of the two world champs and the rankings quotas

But realistically, it is only the European pentathletes who have had the opportunity to qualify up to this point, and I can't help feeling that it puts them at a disadvantage because of the way that the qualification pathway has been constructed. We could have a scenario where there are no quotas awarded at the world champs because the top three are European athletes who have already secured quotas in which case there would be reallocation to the ranking list and so they could go anywhere. 

Personally I think it would have been fairer to have hierarchy of qualification - the top 3 at the worlds should have qualified and if that included someone who had already secured standard at the European Games, then that quota should have gone to the next athlete based on the European Games result. 

Semi-Final A - After Fencing Bonus Round

1) :CHN Zhang Linbin 22V +6 - 241 pts

2) :HUN Bence Demeter 23V - 240 pts

7) :EGY Ahmed Elgendy 17V +10 - 220 pts

8) :GER Marvin Dogue 18V - 215 pts (Quota)

Not much movement in the top 9 - predominantly because Elgendy kept winning but he was just a little too far back to be able to capitalise on it. :GBR Charles Brown had a decent bonus round, picking up 2 wins to move within 1 point Cicinelli.

Semi-Final A - After Swimming

1)  :HUN Bence Demeter - 540 pts

2) :EGY Mohanad Shaban - 538 pts (Quota)

3) :KOR Jung Jinhwa - 536 pts

4) :UKR Oleksandr Tovkai - 536 pts (Quota)

5) :CHN Zhang Linbin - 535 pts

6) :MEX Emiliano Hernandez - 532 pts

7) :EGY Ahmed Elgendy - 528 pts

8) :ITA Matteo Cicinelli - 518 pts

9) :GBR Charles Brown - 516 pts

Semi-Final A - Result

1) :MEX Emiliano Hernandez - 1203 pts

2) :CZE Martin Vlach - 1203 pts

3) :GBR Charles Brown - 1202 pts

4) :CHN Zhang Linbin - 1202 pts

5) :EGY Mohanad Shaban - 1202 pts (Quota)

6) :EGY Ahmed Elgendy - 1202 pts

7) :GER Marvin Dogue 18V - 1200 pts (Quota)

8) :KOR Jung Jinhwa - 1200 pts

9) :HUN Bence Demeter - 1200 pts

Strong run by :CZE Vlach - 13 seconds quicker than the rest of the field and moves him comfortably into qualifying spot. :HUN Demeter in contrast was one of the slowest in the run but had enough of a cushion to hold on to last qualifying position. 

13 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Thanks, and to conclude my curiosity. How big chances to qualify via ranking have Kasperczak, Stasiak, Nowacka and Dominiak?