website statistics

Tennis 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

On 1/25/2023 at 3:13 PM, Grassmarket said:

Good news: Wimbledon is cutting Men’s Doubles to three sets.  They will use the time available to increase Women’s Singles to five sets.  :sleep:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/64401075

Had missed that so far but wow, that's sad news :( 

I'm still waiting for all tennis to move into a one-set format in every tournament, so it's more urban.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 4 weeks later...

Big win today for 18 yo Dimitra Pavlou :GRE at the ITF W40 event in Split, Croatia

The world number 790 defeated world number 159 Elena Gabriela Ruse :ROU 7-6(5) 7-5 in the first round!

She came from qualifying with a 6-1 6-4 win over world number 403 Anna Turati :ITA and 6-0 6-2 over world number 576 Adrienn Nagy :HUN

Very good results from Pavlou this week, who is Sakkari's first cousin. With the resources she has access to, being the niece of a former top 50 player and cousin of a current top 10 player, I wonder how far she can go in her career.

It's a shame that Maria Sakkari's siblings did not ever play tennis, Greece could've had more good players :lol:

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

BJK Cup this week including :SVK vs :ITA @hckošice

The real Italian #1 has landed in Bratislava already! :coffee:

screenshot_20230409-111748-png.259759

Other than the expected 0-5 for :ITA I just hope and wish the captain will give Renáta Jamrichová the opportunity to play and gain very needed experiences, she is basically our Tennis existence only hope for the future

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 2:24 AM, hckošice said:

Other than the expected 0-5 for :ITA I just hope and wish the captain will give Renáta Jamrichová the opportunity to play and gain very needed experiences, she is basically our Tennis existence only hope for the future

Slovakia almost came back from 0-2 down to win, I believe they even served for the match in deciding doubles but lost 2-3 in the end.

2 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Slovakia almost came back from 0-2 down to win, I believe they even served for the match in deciding doubles but lost 2-3 in the end.

I wouldn´t overestimate it. It only happened because Italy fielded their benchwarmer for the last two Singles, otherwise it would have ended 0-5

4FF214EF-7914-4D9D-A06D-83445F7DB037.jpeg

Just bought a ticket for the Vancouver 2023 Laver Cup :bounce::cheer: ticket ended up costing me 483$, but I got pretty solid seating so well worth it IMO. Super super excited, my first time ever getting to watch a professional tennis match live.

Really hope the matches are good that session. (I personally am hoping for FAA v. Meddy, but anything other than a Kyrgios match would be fine with me. He’s an entertaining player, but I don’t like his antics.)

Edited by Josh