website statistics

Island Games 2023

Totallympics

22 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Gozo (add them to list of flags we’re missing @Sindo) won their first ever medal at the Island Games yesterday. Lara Calleja won silver in the women’s individual trap event.

:GOZ this has been added!

21 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Iroquois Confederation is another entity that comes up from time to time and doesn’t have a flag. 

This has been added as well: :IRC

21 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Gotland‘s is missing as well.

We already had this (code: GOT), but is this the correct flag? :GOT I see the Island Games is using a different one, I am not sure which is the correct one.

9 minutes ago, Sindo said:

We already had this (code: GOT), but is this the correct flag? :GOT I see the Island Games is using a different one, I am not sure which is the correct one.

I think the one used by the Island Games is the flag they are using now.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I was reading through some of the articles on the official website, which are mostly written by students from their junior reporter program, when I came across this sentence.

”Malta, albeit more than 1200 miles away in the Med…”

Is that actually something people say? I’ve never read/heard that in British media before :mumble:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I was reading through some of the articles on the official website, which are mostly written by students from their junior reporter program, when I came across this sentence.

”Malta, albeit more than 1200 miles away in the Med…”

Is that actually something people say? I’ve never read/heard that in British media before :mumble:

Sure, in the Med, very normal phrase.  Across the herring pond is archaic though.

Anyone knows what the restrictions are to participate as an island. Gozo is participating for the time and Rhodes did not since several editions?

For example: why Menorca and not Mallorca and/or Ibiza?

Any island welcome? Seems not, because the number of islands participating has been steady since years.

1 hour ago, wamel042 said:

Anyone knows what the restrictions are to participate as an island. Gozo is participating for the time and Rhodes did not since several editions?

Any island welcome? Seems not, because the number of islands participating has been steady since years.

IIGA has a membership limit of 24. Gozo was recently voted in as a new member (replacing Prince Edward Island perhaps, but that’s a little unclear to me). 

There’s also a maximum population requirement new members must satisfy among other things. 

2 hours ago, wamel042 said:

I’m guessing it’s down to the enthusiasm of volunteers & the desire of the Island to be recognized. I remember when I was in :ORK a few years ago I saw the men’s cycling team out practicing every day same time so….

Edited by Grassmarket