website statistics

Triathlon WT World Championship Series 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

8 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

In someways Brownlee, unintentionally perhaps, might be that man. He appears to remain strong in the shorter distance relay legs but his problem seems to be in the running element of the Olympic distance races. However, with his swimming and cycling legs still very strong he could help get Yee into a position to exploit his formidable running skills. 

Abbsolutely - but as in cycling, the trick is convincing your super-dom that super-doming is the way to go.

In this case, the strong possibility of a relay gold (really, I think its France v GBR) may be enough to convince him to set his individual ambitions aside for the 'greater good' - but Brownlee is a very strong swimmer, even now, realistically, is he going to be able to help Yee?

2 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

If GTB is fit, she goes, imho. She is absolutely world class, a really strong relay runner, and gives a different kind of threat to Beaugrand than Potter - although Potter has really come into her own this year, regardless of Taylor Brown's troubles. I think , IF FIT, Potter and Taylor Brown, both gold medal threats, both go.

It's 'woman 3' were the intrigue is. Coldwell is the one closest to her 'peak', and is a proven relay athlete. Jess is definitely an elder stateswoman, but again, is a proven relay athlete. her winter will tell all. Waugh looks to be possibly the next big thing. along with Lombardi, and Waugh broke both Lombardi and Beaugrand yesterday - which makes her, perhaps more than Jess or Sophie, an individual medal threat. Given we know that a fit GTB can take Beaugrand at Olympic distance, have learned this year that Potter can too, and now have strong evidence Waugh can in the right race...

But Waugh is not proven in the relay.

If GTB is fit, there is an argument that Waugh or Coldwell or Learmonth are better relay bets than Potter, who really is an endurance based athlete. I think Fullagar and Matthias are likely going to have to wait to 2028, where I suspect Waugh will be #1.

So FWIW, if GTB is fit...I think it's Potter, GTB, Waugh. If GTB is not such a sure bet but is still going, maybe Potter GTB, Coldwell (coldwell being a stronger relay bet)...and obviously if GTB doesn't recover, Potter, Waugh and either Coldwell or Learmonth.

Beaugrand seems to struggle on hillier courses as we saw at the weekend and at the European Championships/Games in Berlin last year where Non Stanford beat her. I imagine the course in Paris will be pretty flat for that reason (I didn't see the test event). A fit GTB alongside Potter would present a formidable threat to her in those circumstances. Duffy too if she's fit and in form.

21 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Abbsolutely - but as in cycling, the trick is convincing your super-dom that super-doming is the way to go.

In this case, the strong possibility of a relay gold (really, I think its France v GBR) may be enough to convince him to set his individual ambitions aside for the 'greater good' - but Brownlee is a very strong swimmer, even now, realistically, is he going to be able to help Yee?

Good point. Brownlee - like his brother - is an excellent cycling captain so, if willing, he could still assist Yee makeup any reasonable deficit. Of course, that makes no allowance for the tactics of the very strong group of French challengers.

In some ways the two races may be a mirror image of each other. Yee up against a strong group of Frenchmen and Beaugrand facing a similar group of Brits. That's not to say there aren't a lot of other talented triathletes capable of upsetting the French and British apple carts.