website statistics

Women's Tennis WTA Tour 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, nenad said:

The umpire was horrible, the ball was clearly in. Hungarian player behaved incredibly bad, It's that simple. Don't make this thing geopolitical now. 

I mean, the number of posts I have seen online hating on Hungary regarding this incident made it quite clear that people wouldn't make such a big deal out of this if it was played in Western Europe. The video of the incident that went viral is also edited and don't show how much Zhang behaved irrationally. It's one thing to be angry at the umpire for a bad call and it's completely another to cause a scene and to halt the match for too long. Tóth was impatient and wanted to continue the match, she should have stayed out of the drama instead of making it worse. But it's also not "incredibly bad" from a young player to not know what to do when your opponent has a literal mental breakdown because of one bad call. Zhang should have never entered a WTA tournament in this state, the full video makes it obvious that she has some serious issues. If a player doesn't have the mental ability to move on from a bad umpire call and continue the match, they are not fit to enter a professional tournament. 

I think the crowd would behave similarly if it was any other player from any other country, they just wanted their own representative to win :dunno: The behaviour was bad, true, however I really doubt this was fueled by some racism or geopolitical bias on large scale.

Toth is half-Thai which makes it even less probable to qualify as racist but most people probably don't even realize that. Either way, she's too low ranked to be anything but a ITF stalwart and those top players calling to ban her from the tour will probably never play her in their careers :lol:

Toth did come out and apologize after R2 loss but obviously the damage is done yet tennis tour will swiftly move on anyway.

Zhang Shuai should be out of Top 100 after USO since her form is truly dismal this season and this is the biggest news she made in 2023 :p

On 7/19/2023 at 9:29 PM, hckošice said:

wow, I never thought I will find someone less likeable than Bouchard in womens tennis circuit. but here it is :lol:

Although I'm not a fan of her (Even as a Canadian), still think she gets way too much hate. Maybe I'm missing something, but unsportsmanlike conduct, being arrogant, and being more interested in fame than her tennis career are the main reasons why most people dislike her?  But Ostapenko is a brat, can't see how she would be ahead of Genie.