website statistics

Men's Road Cycling UCI World Tour 2022 (Tour de France)

Totallympics

4 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Pity that Pogacar didn't get the yellow

Ah come on, let's have some hope for some fight for the yellow left. Pogacar getting it today means we might as well finish the rest of the Tour in writing :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

And this.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

:p 

Jumbo BikeExchange ;)

So much action on the stage. Crashes & defects. Pogačar attacing but at the end it doesnt event matter. Pogačar made only 13s. Van Aert saves Vingegaard, his jersey and a bunch of other riders like Thomas (btw. Ineos had a lot of good riders for the cobbelstones, but at the end they leaders were mostly alone).

Stage 5 - W.Van Aert  - could I have extra points for him beeing MVP of the stage? :D

DNF:

GOGL Michael

HAIG Jack

Also TVmoto hit the hay bale and caused a massive crash.

1. Filippo Ganna (4) - 4
2. Fabio Jakobsen (1) - 5
3. Mads Pedersen (12) - 17
4. Peter Sagan (5) - 22
5. Mathieu van der Poel (54) - 76
6. Michael Matthews

6 hours ago, FancyFenchel said:

DNF:

GOGL Michael

Because this fucker needed to get a video from a little closer.

I just don't know how to feel about this. Ben O'Connor having poor luck crushing his top 5 hopes severely. The problem is not only the puncture, but that you just can't close a gap due to the small roads and positioning of team cars.

Then, the Jumbo-Visma antics almost costing Vingegaard severely, but he was a bit lucky with that crash. Speaking of which, the crash with the straw bale is absolutely horrendous and should not be happening in the most important race of the year. And this is just courtesy of the nervousness in the peloton.

I mean, I love Paris-Roubaix, it is the race of the year for me, but should this be in the Tour, where way more riders have an intention to not lose time instead of winning the race. It is just a recipe for disaster. In spite of that, television-wise, this is probably the best stage of the race.

8 minutes ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

I just don't know how to feel about this. Ben O'Connor having poor luck crushing his top 5 hopes severely. The problem is not only the puncture, but that you just can't close a gap due to the small roads and positioning of team cars.

Then, the Jumbo-Visma antics almost costing Vingegaard severely, but he was a bit lucky with that crash. Speaking of which, the crash with the straw bale is absolutely horrendous and should not be happening in the most important race of the year. And this is just courtesy of the nervousness in the peloton.

I mean, I love Paris-Roubaix, it is the race of the year for me, but should this be in the Tour, where way more riders have an intention to not lose time instead of winning the race. It is just a recipe for disaster. In spite of that, television-wise, this is probably the best stage of the race.

You have your answer then :d I've seen a suggestion to have this kind of race during the last week when a lot less people are interested in the GC. But, obviously having a MJ crashing and leaving the race two days before Paris is not going to be a popular option neither.

Generally speaking, there are too many riders interested in the GC and too many riders just here to help them. Which led to too much nervosity and too many crashes (cobbles or not). I don't know if there is a solution to this.

2 hours ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

To be fair, there was basically no major complaint whatsoever about this before the stage yesterday. It's not necessarily worse than those default mountain stages where the hardest parts are in the end, leading to a stage where literally nothing happens until the last half kilometer :p 

Personally I am very much in favour of cobblestone stages in the Tour de France, just not every year. Once every few years is fine. It's a specific part of cycling and a GC winner should be able to handle a large diversity of terrain.