website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

20 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

It’s a risky strategy. It relies on the pressure of their absence causing federations and countries then ban Russians and Belarusians. Could well work. 

That seems like a major stretch,them being absent isn't suddenly gonna make countries and federations Ban the ''evil ones'' sorry not sorry,the sport world doesn't care that much

22 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

This doesn’t seem wise.

The Ukrainian government has barred its national sports teams from competing at international events which also include athletes from Russia and its ally Belarus.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/04/15/ukraine-bans-national-sports-teams-participating-in-events-with-russians/

Do they really have any alternative though?

Many of us on this forum come from countries who fought Germany and Japan in World War Two. If sport was still possible in 1942 I'm sure anybody wishing to play sport alongside enemy nations would have been considered traitors.

Isn't that what Ukrainians would have to accept?

You compete alongside Russians then you're seen as being in favour of your family and friends being killed?

27 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Do they really have any alternative though?

Many of us on this forum come from countries who fought Germany and Japan in World War Two. If sport was still possible in 1942 I'm sure anybody wishing to play sport alongside enemy nations would have been considered traitors.

Isn't that what Ukrainians would have to accept?

You compete alongside Russians then you're seen as being in favour of your family and friends being killed?

This isn't world war 2 tough,and what is this accomplishing exactly ? More and more federations are bringing them back,so i guess Ukrainians  won't even get the chance to use sport as a positive for themselves while the Russians can,seems counterproductive honestly

2 hours ago, Biathlonfan said:

This isn't world war 2 tough,and what is this accomplishing exactly ? More and more federations are bringing them back,so i guess Ukrainians  won't even get the chance to use sport as a positive for themselves while the Russians can,seems counterproductive honestly

Regardless of whether it hinders their sporting prospects, Ukrainians who compete alongside Russians (moreso for male athletes) would most likely be seen as traitors for gallivanting around the world and not defending their country on the battlefield to ensure it has a bright future. I understand their reason for doing this, and they're probably the only country that has a valid reason not to send athletes to compete against Russians and Belarussians.  

40 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Regardless of whether it hinders their sporting prospects, Ukrainians who compete alongside Russians (moreso for male athletes) would most likely be seen as traitors for gallivanting around the world and not defending their country on the battlefield to ensure it has a bright future. I understand their reason for doing this, and they're probably the only country that has a valid reason not to send athletes to compete against Russians and Belarussians.  

wait,so then what are all the male Ukrainian athletes doing right now ? lmao

Just now, Biathlonfan said:

wait,so then what are all the male Ukrainian athletes doing right now ? lmao

Not all of them are fighting in the army, quite a lot are still actively competing in sports. Also my post weren't just aimed at men, women can help out with the war effort in many ways too.  

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Not all of them are fighting in the army, quite a lot are still actively competing in sports. Also my post weren't just aimed at men, women can help out with the war effort in many ways too.  

Yeah,i just don't find the Ukrainian goverment as amazing as they been presented,so to be honest i just don't wiew this as some moral validation