website statistics

Men's Cricket ICC T20 World Cup 2022

Totallympics

16 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The drop off of the West Indies is sad, but as other countries continue to invest in cricket the region is getting left behind. Perhaps a new generation will step up.

Problem is not of talent. Atleast not in T20. Players like Andre Russell, Shimron Hetmeyer, Roston Chase, Fabian Allen are missing from the WC squad. For a decade or so, WI board simply fails to get the top players to prioritize "National team" over various T20 leagues across the world. 

With ten countries arcing around from Jamaica to Guyana in South America as well as five overseas territories of the UK, Netherlands and USA it isn't easy to organise, coordinate and bring a sense of purpose to West Indies cricket.

:ANT :BAR :DMA :GRN :GUY :JAM :SKN :LCA :VIN :TTO plus

:AIA :IVB :MSR :SXM :ISV

They have produced some of the greatest players to ever play the game. Barbados alone has probably produced more cricketing talent per square mile than any place on the planet. However, it isn't always easy to bring such a disparate group of players from so many different countries together towards a common goal.

West Indies have been at their best when they've had a strong captains, men like Sir Frank Worrell, Clive Lloyd and Sir Viv Richards, who have been able to create unity and provide a sense of purpose. That no longer seems to exist as players wander round the world making their earnings from the numerous T20 leagues now on offer. It is sometimes difficult to manage the players from one country as most teams have found at some stage or another, notably Pakistan, but it must be even more difficult in the unique sporting united nations that is the West Indies.

Edited by Nickyc707

One part of me feels that the West Indies team is coming to a close. Even if cricket never becomes an Olympic sport, I don't think many people feel nationalistic towards them, but they probably are towards their respective nation. There's enough talent on paper for :BAR :JAM :TTO to compete at the World Cup level. Even :GUY alone would probably be the favourites against Canada and the United States.

The downside of course is funding. Can these nations increase their funding 3-5 times to match the current spending of the West Indies?

13 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

One part of me feels that the West Indies team is coming to a close. Even if cricket never becomes an Olympic sport, I don't think many people feel nationalistic towards them, but they probably are towards their respective nation. There's enough talent on paper for :BAR :JAM :TTO to compete at the World Cup level. Even :GUY alone would probably be the favourites against Canada and the United States.

The downside of course is funding. Can these nations increase their funding 3-5 times to match the current spending of the West Indies?

Those four countries have always been the core of West Indies cricket certainly. Until the last thirty years or so all their international cricket was played in Bridgetown, Georgetown, Kingston and Port of Spain.

I'm not sure about the future of the WI but the allegiances that existed in the post-colonial world in the Caribbean do seem to have dissipated and perhaps what has been a unique sporting collaboration between nations is at risk unless the current pattern changes.

2 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

With ten countries arcing around from Jamaica to Guyana in South America as well as five overseas territories of the UK, Netherlands and USA it isn't easy to organise, coordinate and bring a sense of purpose to West Indies cricket.

:ANT :BAR :DMA :GRN :GUY :JAM

:SKN :LCA :VIN :TTO plus

:AIA :ASC :MSR :SXM :ISV

They have produced some of the greatest players to ever play the game. Barbados alone has probably produced more cricketing talent per square mile than any place on the planet. However, it isn't always easy to bring such a disparate group of players from so many different countries together towards a common goal.

West Indies have been at their best when they've had a strong captains, men like Sir Frank Worrell, Clive Lloyd and Sir Viv Richards, who have been able to create unity and provide a sense of purpose. That no longer seems to exist as players wander round the world making their earnings from the numerous T20 leagues now on offer. It is sometimes difficult to manage the players from one country as most teams have found at some stage or another, notably Pakistan, but it must be even more difficult in the unique sporting united nations that is the West Indies.

What's :ASC ?

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

What's :ASC ?

British Virgin Islands I hope although it's difficult to see.

It contains the island's coat of arms, i.e. St Ursula holding a flaming gold oil lamp surrounded by a further eleven lamps representing her 11,000 virgin followers. Apparently this derives from Columbus's naming of the islands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_British_Virgin_Islands

Edited by Nickyc707

13 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

British Virgin Islands I hope although it's difficult to see.

It contains the island's coat of arms, i.e. St Ursula holding a flaming gold oil lamp surrounded by a further eleven lamps representing her 11,000 virgin followers. Apparently this derives from Columbus's naming of the islands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_British_Virgin_Islands

:IVB Mixed my flags up! It should be this one! Forgot the BVI have their own NOC.

The second stage begins today with two matches in Group A. :ENG play :AFG in Perth later, while the first big clash of this WC is between :AUS and :NZL in front of a sell out crowd at the SCG. The Kiwis batted first and put up what looks like a decent score of 200/3 in what is one of the key matches in this group.

49 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Australia batting badly and suffering some bad luck...

That was bad luck but these things can happen when you try a sweep or hoick against the bowler.

The truth is the Aussies have been comprehensively outplayed by NZ. Finn Allen gave the Kiwis an excellent start with 42 off 16 balls and they didn't look back. They've also had much greater variety in both their spin and pace attacks. Looking like real challengers, I think.

Edited by Nickyc707