website statistics

Taekwondo Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Finally something useful from the InsideTheGames

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1145623/australia-taekwondo-three-athletes-paris

Australia had originally won 4 Olympic berths at the Oceania Qualifiers. Saffron Tambyrajah had won the gold medal in the women's -49 kg category and earned an Olympic berth for her country. However, World Taekwondo (WT) decided not to allocate the -49 kg quota to Australia, citing an insufficient number of competitors in the division at the Oceania Continental Qualifiers in Honiara, Solomon Islands. The Board of AT then appealed to CAS, but the decision is still pending.

In Australia's defense it makes more sense to have a minimum athlete participation of two for Oceania since they only have one quota while the other continents get two.

Regardless, the rules were quite clear, just like in canoeing a minimum number of athletes must participate in the qualifier in order to avoid free quotas being awarded.

• 3 weeks later...

WT is the worst international federation in term of publishing these kind of news, so we will probably never know until NOC's (those receiving the quotas) announce it

but if they are going to reallocate those 4+1 RUS/BLR quotas it will be like this

:RUS Minina (57W) ==> :CZE Hronova

:BLR Gurtsiev (58M) ==> :SRB Korneev

:RUS Khan (+67W) ==> :AUT Jahl

:RUS Khramtcov (80M) ==> :SRB Takov :dunno:

:RUS Larin (+80M) ==> :MKD Georgievski

I think it's pretty clear for the first 3. a little doubt about 80kg quota, Farzad Mansouri won the 3rd place match over Takov but he later awarded a free quota by King Tommy. they can give him the quota and letting him participate by that. (without adding anybody else to the list) but I assume the quota will go to the next ranked athlete Takov.

as far Larin, Grand Slam quotas will get reallocated to the next eligible athlete in the World Ranking (January 2024) there are some other guys above the Macedonian but they are all either qualified or their NOC already qualified 2 more. I assume Georgievski was a strong candidate for the Wild Card too. probably won't need that anymore.

Edited by MHSN

• 2 weeks later...

it looks like Taekwondo's universality place is given to 2 NOCs: :GBS and :TLS (idk but this is based on my interpretation on: The universality and popularity of Taekwondo is on full display with the participation of

new NOCs across all five continental unions. Congratulations to The Gambia and Guinea-

Bissau representing Africa; Palestine, Hong Kong, China and Timor Leste representing

Asia; Czech Republic and Bulgaria representing Europe; Fiji representing Oceania; and

Uruguay representing Pan America.)

20240528-51st-Founding-Anniversary.pdf

18 minutes ago, Albrain said:

it looks like Taekwondo's universality place is given to 2 NOCs: :GBS and :TLS (idk but this is based on my interpretation on: The universality and

great job :yes

WT also covers Para-Taekwondo, maybe these 2 countries qualified someone for the Paralympics ? (highly unlikely though)

if this is correct, I assume that's Ana Bello (W 49kg) for TLS and Paivou Gomis (M +80kg) for GBS

both countries had only 1 entry at the continental qualifiers and these are their highest ranked athletes too.

Edited by MHSN

4 minutes ago, MHSN said:

great job :yes

WT also covers Para-Taekwondo, maybe these 2 countries qualified someone for the Paralympics ? (highly unlikely though)

if this is correct, I assume that's Ana Bello (W 49kg) for TLS and Paivou Gomis (M +80kg) for GBS

both countries had only 1 entry at the continental qualifiers and these are their highest ranked athletes too.

and the 2 other tripartites, do we have any ideas?

6 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

and the 2 other tripartites, do we have any ideas?

I was expecting a quota for Macedonia in either W57 or +M80 but there is nothing about it in their NOC's social media. so I assume that didn't happen.

Cambodia at 57kg W makes sense. 

lots of candidates for M 80kg, but my guess is Mali or someone from Oceania. it could be Iraq but I think we would hear about it already. 

Men's 80 kg

:CAM Va Mithona

:COD Arnold Nkoy

:IRQ Saif Taher
:NCA David Robleto

:SAM Ryan Eteuati
:TGA Moala Takelo

Women's 57 kg
:CAM Julie Mam

:MLI Maïmouna Konaté

:NCA Mariling Vanegas

:TGA Angel Sitapa

1. It is possible that one of those athletes listed above will participate in the M -80 and W -57 events, assuming that the quotas in M +80 and W-49 are already owned by East Timor and Guinea-Bissau

2. This is also based on the interpretation of previous documents, that only East Timor and Guinea-Bissau that will make their first appearances at Paris 2024

3. I chose these athletes based on their participation in Continental Qualifications for Paris 2024

Edited by Albrain