website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

54 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

16 athletes with the A standard, only 4 women and only one of them in a non-freestyle events.

It seems that you are missing Anna Elendt here which is a special case. She achieved the quota in 2023 (outside of the German qualification period). A few weeks ago she swam in the USA (inside the German qualification period) and missed the quota twice by 0,02 seconds. So she got a time trial in the same event and eventually made the the quota. Therefore she decided to not attend at the German Championships and prepare for her exams in the USA. It is not clear why her quota has not been accepted yet and as she will be in Paris anyway I think that she will participate in 100m breast. But that will obviously not change your summary at lot.

But to be fair, when was the last time that Germany had an A standard in all events?

9 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

:POL 2024 Polish National Championships - Lublin (POL) :POL

April 25th - April 28th 2024

Meet Results

The following new OQTs were achieved

Women's 100m Backstroke

:POL Adela Piskorska

:IOC The following 9 swimmers have achieved an OQT in the qualification period so far :IOC

Men (4):

Krzysztof Chmielewski - 200m Butterfly

Michal Chmielewski - 200m Butterfly

Jakub Majerski - 100m Butterfly

Ksawery Masiuk - 100m Backstroke, 200m Backstroke

Women (5):

Laura Bernat - 200m Backstroke

Kornelia Fiedkiewicz - 50m Freestyle

Adela Piskorska - 100m Backstroke, 200m Backstroke

Dominika Sztandera - 100m Breaststroke

Kasia Wasick - 50m Freestyle

Has Kasia Wasick managed to get an OQT during the window stablished by the Polish Federation?

9 hours ago, Mecki83 said:

It seems that you are missing Anna Elendt here which is a special case. She achieved the quota in 2023 (outside of the German qualification period). A few weeks ago she swam in the USA (inside the German qualification period) and missed the quota twice by 0,02 seconds. So she got a time trial in the same event and eventually made the the quota. Therefore she decided to not attend at the German Championships and prepare for her exams in the USA. It is not clear why her quota has not been accepted yet and as she will be in Paris anyway I think that she will participate in 100m breast. But that will obviously not change your summary at lot.

But to be fair, when was the last time that Germany had an A standard in all events?

I am not missing Elendt, I just don’t count a time achieved in some obscure Time trial that no one witnessed. In the end Germany can still allow her to compete in the individual event, same is true for Armbruster in men’s 100 fly. Not sure if Germany ever had Olympics with at least one A standard in every event, but I know that Germany had clearly more A standards in 2021 and back then there were also less events without German representation. On the men’s side Germany isn’t that far off. Only in the 200 breast and 200 IM an A standard seemed impossible. On the women’s side however there are tons of events (50/100 free, 200 breast, 100/200 back, 200 fly, 200/400 IM) where the standard was lightyears away. In most of those events there is some talent, but odds are that they will stagnate or regress in the next few years (as usual).

50 free: Jazy, Holt, Boksca

100 free: Jazy, Holt, Boksca, Schulze, Roth

200 breast: Ludwig, Elendt

100 back: Börstler, Seidel, Roth

200 back: Seidel, Werner, Helget

200 fly: Baievych, Köhler

200 IM: Roth, Schulze, Börstler, Benkler

400 IM: Benkler, Kohlmann

I am most hopeful for Börstler and Holt, since they both train in Magdeburg. I wish other talents like Ackermann, Kohlmann, Benkler or Baievych would also train there.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I am not missing Elendt, I just don’t count a time achieved in some obscure Time trial that no one witnessed. In the end Germany can still allow her to compete in the individual event, same is true for Armbruster in men’s 100 fly. Not sure if Germany ever had Olympics with at least one A standard in every event, but I know that Germany had clearly more A standards in 2021 and back then there were also less events without German representation.

It is not that bad compared to 2021. In Tokyo there have been 29 German Swimmers and now it is 25 but in Tokyo we had two starters for Women's 4x100m freestyle only which did not qualify this time. Also overall it is not that different: in 2021 there were no female starters on 50/100m freestyle, 200/400 IM, 200 m breast, 200m back and 100m butterfly, so it is more or less unchanged.

Actually it is looking a bit worse on men's side. In Tokyo, only 50m freestyle was without a German participation. Currently there are three races without a German participation.

And keep in mind, that the total number of quotas has been reduced again.

4 hours ago, Mecki83 said:

It is not that bad compared to 2021. In Tokyo there have been 29 German Swimmers and now it is 25 but in Tokyo we had two starters for Women's 4x100m freestyle only which did not qualify this time. Also overall it is not that different: in 2021 there were no female starters on 50/100m freestyle, 200/400 IM, 200 m breast, 200m back and 100m butterfly, so it is more or less unchanged.

Actually it is looking a bit worse on men's side. In Tokyo, only 50m freestyle was without a German participation. Currently there are three races without a German participation.

And keep in mind, that the total number of quotas has been reduced again.

The number of athletes with A standard has decreased by 20 %, although the level was already pathetic in 2021. The goal should be to to get better, not to „only“ get worse by 20 %. Sadly the usual German strategy of lowering the standards to keep the appearance doesn’t work in an international competition. Other countries keep raising their level while Germany is happy telling itself that it isn’t too bad. The same is true for the overall number of medals, somehow it is inevitable that the number of medals keeps decreasing (despite more money), because … reasons. Meanwhile the Netherlands and GB keep improving.

Bernd Berkhahn shows that it is possible to develop world class swimmers in Germany, sadly no other coach seems to be qualified. German swimmers have to go to the U.S. (Miroslaw, Elendt, Mrozinski, Varjasi, Selin, Büssing) or Australia (Salchow) if they want to keep improving. Germany should just give all the best talents a scholarship to train in the U.S. (+ enough money for Bernd Berkhahn and his group) and call it a day.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I have a question )

What is the status of the tournament "Swim Wars" which took place on the 27-28th of April in Banja Luka?

Russians sent there almost all their stars won almost all gold without neutral status because it was c club tournament (and it looks like it was paid by russians too).

Will their times at this tournament taken into account as Olympic qualification?

1 hour ago, avlar said:

I have a question )

What is the status of the tournament "Swim Wars" which took place on the 27-28th of April in Banja Luka?

Russians sent there almost all their stars won almost all gold without neutral status because it was c club tournament (and it looks like it was paid by russians too).

Will their times at this tournament taken into account as Olympic qualification?

There was an eligible meet during those days in Banja Luka, but it's called the April 22nd International Swim Meet. Was this the same event?

44 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

There was an eligible meet during those days in Banja Luka, but it's called the April 22nd International Swim Meet. Was this the same event?

No that was another one - "Swim Wars" (27-28.04)