website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

NFs should only exist to facilitate athlete's participation. I'm not a fan of the "we have higher standards" crowd, personally. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

most federations don’t have unlimited budgets unfortunately, and most swimmers are heavily subsidised by their federations so I think it’s OK if they set their own parameters 

3 hours ago, dodge said:

most federations don’t have unlimited budgets unfortunately, and most swimmers are heavily subsidised by their federations so I think it’s OK if they set their own parameters 

The amount of power IFs/NFs hold over athletes is a problem in my opinion. Just look at the abuse cases, or examples of athletes blacklisted for meeting bringing attention to issues within the sport or their national programs. I do think there is a legitimate power balance problem in international sports. 

I do understand funding issues (among others), of course. I just think the current state of affairs could be tweaked for the benefit of all.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

:GER German team update:

The following athletes placed in the top 4 in their events at the 2024 world championships and earned a spot on the German Olympic team. Every other swimmer will have to achieve an OQT during the April 1-28 period to be nominated.

• Isabel Gose - W 400m Freestyle, W 800m Freestyle, W 1500m Freestyle
  • Angelina Köhler - W 100m Butterfly
  • Lukas Märtens - M 200m Freestyle, M 400m Freestyle
  • Sven Schwarz - M 800m Freestyle
  • Florian Wellbrock - M 1500m Freestyle

:ITA Italian team update:

The following athletes earned a spot on the Italian Olympic team as a result of winning a medal at the 2024 World Championships:

• Sara Franceschi - W 400m Individual Medley
  • Nicolo Martinenghi - M 100m Breaststroke
  • Simona Quadarella - W 800m Freestyle, W 1500m Freestyle
  • Alberto Razzetti - M 200m Butterfly

In addition, Lorenzo Zazzeri also achieved the time set by the Italian swimming federation at Doha so I believe he's also qualified for the team.

So the updated Italian team is below:

• Thomas Ceccon - M 100m Backstroke
  • Sara Franceschi - W 400m Individual Medley
  • Nicolo Martinenghi - M 100m Breaststroke
  • Alessandro Miressi - M 100m Freestyle
  • Gregorio Paltrinieri - M 1500m Freestyle
  • Benedetta Pilato - W 100m Breaststroke
  • Simona Quadarella - W 800m Freestyle, W 1500m Freestyle
  • Alberto Razzetti - M 200m Butterfly, M 200m Individual Medley, M 400m Individual Medley
  • Lorenzo Zazzeri - M 50m Freestyle

Athletes will have another chance to qualify at the Italian Championships from March 5-9.

Edited by Topicmaster1010

Now that both the 2023 and 2024 World Championships are over, it's a good time to look at which countries are eligible for universalities. Looking at the entry lists for both championships, we can compile a rough list of which countries are eligible.

The following NOC's are eligible for both a male and female universality quota (123 NOC's, 246 athletes):

:ALB:ALG:AND:ANG:ANT:ARM:BAH:BAN:BAR:BDI:BEN:BER:BOL:BOT:BRN:BRU:BUR:CAF:CAM:CGO:CHI:CIV:CMR:COK:COL:COM:CPV:CRC:CRO:CUB:CYP:DJI:DMA:DOM:ECU:ERI:ESA:ETH:FIJ:FSM:GAB:GAM:GEO:GEQ:GHA:GRN:GUA:GUI:GUM:GUY:HAI:HON:INA:IND:ISV:JAM:JOR:KAZ:KEN:KOS:KSA:KUW:LAO:LAT:LBA:LBN:LCA:MAD:MAR:MAS:MAW:MDA:MDV:MGL:MHL:MKD:MLI:MLT:MNE:MON:MOZ:MRI:NAM:NCA:NEP:NGR:NIG:PAK:PAN:PAR:PER:PHI:PLE:PLW:PNG:PUR:QAT:RWA:SAM:SEN:SEY:SKN:SLE:SOL:SRI:SUD:SVK:SWZ:SYR:TAN:TGA:THA:TJK:TKM:TLS:TOG:UAE:UGA:URU:VAN:VIN:ZAM:ZIM

The following NOC's are eligible for only a male universality quota (20 NOC's, 20 athletes):

:AFG:ARG:ASA:AZE:BHU:BIH:COD:DEN:GBS:IRI:IRQ:LES:LUX:MTN:OMA:SLO:SMR:STP:UZB:YEM

The following NOC's are eligible for only a female universality quota (16 NOC's 16 athletes):

:ARU:AUT:CAY:EGY:FIN:ISL:KGZ:MEX:NOR:SRB:SUI:TPE:TTO:TUR:VEN:VIE

So as of now, we are looking at 282 universality athletes from 159 NOC's

14 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Now that both the 2023 and 2024 World Championships are over, it's a good time to look at which countries are eligible for universalities. Looking at the entry lists for both championships, we can compile a rough list of which countries are eligible.

The following NOC's are eligible for both a male and female universality quota (123 NOC's, 246 athletes):

So as of now, we are looking at 282 universality athletes from 159 NOC's

There is also the following rule concerning athletes entering through a Universality place:

"An athlete entering through Universality will be limited to a maximum of up to two Olympic Games in his/her career provided the athlete is not older than the age of thirty (30) as of 31st December 2024".

The wording is a bit unclear, does it mean that.....

1) an athlete entering via Universality can participate in more than 2 Olympic Games so long as they are not older than 30 years old at 31st December 2024?

2) Or does it mean that no athletes over 30 years of age can claim a universality quota AND no athlete can claim a universality quota if they have already participated at 2 Olympic Games?

Does anyone know how to interpret this rule?

If it's 2) then the following athletes/nations are ineligible for a universality quota:

:ALG Amel Melih (W)

:CIV Talita Te Flan (W)

:EGY Farida Osman (W)

:LES Refiloe Chopho (W)

:MAS Jinq En Phee (W)

:QAT Nada Arakji (W)

:SKN JL Harding-Marlin (W)

:TTO Cherelle Thompson (W)

The wording is a bit awkward.

It's written that athletes under the age of 30 can only compete in two Olympics through universality. It's then implied that over 30 year old athletes can compete in more Olympics.

It's a dumb rule in my opinion and hurts a small handful of athletes in their mid to late 20s who may be excluded during what may have been their peak Olympics

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The wording is a bit awkward.

It's written that athletes under the age of 30 can only compete in two Olympics through universality. It's then implied that over 30 year old athletes can compete in more Olympics.

It's a dumb rule in my opinion and hurts a small handful of athletes in their mid to late 20s who may be excluded during what may have been their peak Olympics

Never ceases to amaze me how every Olympics you get these badly-worded qualification documents. It's really not that hard to specify the rules clearly, at least employ someone who can do a better job :d