website statistics
Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News
Posted
1 hour ago, Vektor said:

This will make things a bit confusing when Italy and Russia will play against each other in team sports. 

Fencing should be interesting ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Posted
2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

If it was so easy, why isn't it being done already?  Your last point rings true.  If the IOC were more responsible, they'd choose the more sensible and sustainable bid rather than the ones making lavish promises, but having no legacy plan.  But that would require the IOC to put the needs of host cities ahead of their own wants and desires.  Good luck getting that to happen.

So yes, the question is how to balance the needs of a large capacity arena for competitions and use the rest of the time?  Any city could use a community swimming pool, but how do they balance that need with having a full-sized venue to host competitions?  A swimming venue can be used for other things.  Or they put a pool at an existing venue that already has the capacity.  If it is planned in advance, it can be successfully pulled off.

As for the hotels, the issue isn't just capacity.  You can't trust the athletes as if they were tourists.  Not only do you need beds for them, but they need dining, transportation, security, medical services, etc.  Most hotels can't provide that.  And even if they could, who is covering it at all?  If I'm a hotel operator, I want my rooms filled by paying customers, not giving them away free to athletes and then having to take care of them.  If that's the arrangement, then why would a city want to bid for the Olympics if their tourism business is going to be marginalized by the IOC needing their resources?

1) It isn’t done/hasn’t been done until recently because then the IOC would make less money and in addition to that it would be more difficult to give the games to disctators. Also the hosts couldn’t show off how amazing they are, so it is also partly due to the vanity of political leaders.

2) I would like an outdoor pool with temporary stands (kind of like it is done for Beachvolleyball). The 2009 swimming world championships were great and swimming should be an outdoor sport (during the summer).

3) The host would pay the hotel owners. Say we have 10000 athletes and they stay on average 7 nights in a room that usually costs 100 €, then the total amount would be 7 million €. Obviously there will be all kinds of extra costs, but I don’t see how it would amount to 50 million € or more, which still would only be around 1/10th of the costs for the Olympic village in 2012. If countries can get private investors to build an Olympic village that is turned into affordable housing after the games, then that would also be a good option. Maybe it would be an option in general to get private investors to finance (some of) the venues and after the games they can do with them whatever they want. That might lead to a more effective approach and would take pressure away from the tax payers, who then might look more favorably at their city hosting the Olympics.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Posted

It is very easy to reduce costs. Either you build less expansive venues or you reuse venues. Building less expansive venues usually means less capacities which means less ticket revenue and less chances for the local population to watch, so this isn’t really a good option. This means that the best option would be to reuse venues. In this day and age it is impossible to build a swimming stadium or a ski jumping hill and to get back the costs later by constantly hosting competitions there. This means that only cities that already have most of the venues should host the Olympics. In most cases those will be cities that hosted the games before. I also refuse to believe that the major cities I named earlier wouldn’t be able to open up 10-15k hotel beds for athletes if they know about it multiple years in advance, especially with more and more tourists choosing Airbnb over hotels. Of course this wouldn’t work for places like Sochi, which means that those places shouldn’t host the Olympics. Maybe the IOC could set a budget for all the possible hosts (say 1-2 billion dollars) or they could favor the bids with the most efficient budget, kind of how it is often done with construction projects.

Posted
4 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

London had two Olympics 64 years ago.  Tokyo was 56 (now 57) years ago.  Los Angeles was 44 years.  So there's already a handful of cities that have the Olympics come around to them after awhile.  But like NearPup said, you're talking about a 40-60 year rotation.  That's not always feasible.  And the key venue that always is difficult to account for is the athletes' village.  That's not something cities have on hand ready to go.  And even the biggest cities - I say this as a life-long New Yorker - don't have all the required venues and wouldn't necessarily need certain ones.  

It's an interesting idea to toss around about having some sort of rotation of cities, but even with the IOC's insistence on having world class venues for the Olympics, it's probably not as smart an idea in practice as it might sound.

Please try to state your point. Your comment is all over the place. There might be downsides to this concept, but it certainly would reduce costs, which is the main reason why less and less countries want to host the Olympics. The lack of an Olympic village is no problem in big cities, you can just use a hotel/multiple hotels or the athletes could for example live in student apartments that are usually empty during the summer anyways. In a better world countries would build a new apartment complex for the athletes and afterwards it would be used to fix homelessness in that city. 

I think the Olympic village, the stadium and the swimming stadium are normally the most expansive venues. You can bring down the costs of the swimming stadium by using a temporary (outdoor) pool. Every big city usually already has a large stadium for the opening ceremony/athletics and multiple indoor arenas for other sports. Maybe you will have to install a temporary track, but that still would be far less expansive than building a new stadium. You could also hold the ceremonies in the city to allow more people to watch.

If it is for example too expansive to build a (temporary) venue for track cycling, then track cycling should be dropped from the Olympic program. The same is true for sledding events or ski jumping at the Winter Olympics. It would be too nice to call it insanity when countries regularly build two ski jumping hills for two weeks of competition.

Posted
Just now, NearPup said:

That’s a 40 to 60 year rotation..

Yes, modernizing venues is still normally (much) less expansive than building new venues. For example the Olympic stadium that was built for the 1936 Olympics in Berlin is still used today. The IOC would have to accept that not all the venues will look new and shiny, so this will never happen of course.

Posted

Interesting article by The Ringer:

https://www.theringer.com/2021/1/22/22244941/tokyo-summer-olympics-status-thomas-bach-ioc

I always thought that it might make sense to rotate the Olympics between maybe 10 to 15 cities.

Summer: Moscow, Barcelona/Madrid, Rome, Paris, London, Berlin, Toronto, Seoul, Tokyo, Beijing, Shanghai, Los Angeles, New York, Amsterdam, Sydney

Winter: Munich, Milan, Innsbruck/Salzburg, Oslo/Lillehammer, Stockholm, Helsinki, Lake Placid/Salt Lake City, Vancouver, Nagano/Sapporo, Albertville, St. Moritz/Lausanne

2 hours ago, up and down said:

There is an ongoing rumor that very likely Tokyo Olympics will not be held in year 2021. Japan is no longer interested to hold the Olympics in year 2021 due to pandemic. However Olympics 2024 will be held in Paris as planned and Olympics 2026 will be held in Los Angeles as planned. Therefore Japan will make its bid to host the Olympics in year 2032.

Cool ... why should we care about random rumors? Why not just wait until there is an official decision? Also I doubt that the 2026 olympics will take Place in Los Angeles and i don’t think anyone can say today whether the 2024 and 2028 olympics will take place as planned. 

25 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

One more thing. 

This last ranking is not wrong. Because it is maths only. 

The swimmers are ranked by their best LC times achieved in the qualifying period. 

This is not my ranking for medal predictions. 

This is some data to begin with, and then use it to make the most accurate prediction for summer.

So Seto, Litherland and Litchfield have 3 best OQT so far. And if they participate, they will swim in lane 4 in their respective heats. If someone does not get better time until the end of quali period. 

But my medal prediction for M 400 IM is still 1. Seto 2. Hagino 3. Papastamos. 

Although your tip with Borodin is very interesting. So I will reconsider the bronze medal option.

FINA Rankings are usually garbage, they miss tons of results. Hayang swam 4:10 during the qualification period. I think Swimswam has better rankings.

8 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

I haven't predicted Kirill Prigoda will medal in 100 breast, either.

So you made a mistake here.

I meant your 200 breast prediction obviously. I think in the 100 breast he might have a better chance than in the 200 breast.

1 hour ago, rafalgorka said:

Still thinking about my swimming predictions.

I will try this thing:

in every event I will prepare the ranking list, like in quali system

best times, long course, period from 01/03/2019 to today (which is olympic qualifying period)

To begin with:

M 400 IM – OQT 4.15.84 – OST 4.21.46

1. Daiya Seto                  JPN     4.07.95 (19)    wch 19 – 1      2020 S.C. – x  94 S Rio - 3
  2. Jay Litherland             USA    4.09.22 (19)    wch 19 – 2      2020 S.C. – x  95 Rio - 5
  3. Max Litchfield           GBR   4.10.94 (19)    wch 19 – 7      2020 S.C. – 5  95 Rio - 4
  4. Charlie Swanson        USA    4.11.46 (19)    wch 19 – x      2020 S.C. – x  98
  5. Ilia Borodin                RUS    4.11.50 (20)    wch 19 – x      2020 S.C. – x  03
  6. Shun Wang                 CHN   4.11.89 (20)    wch 19 – 23    2020 S.C. – x  94 Rio - 10
  7. David Verraszto         HUN   4.11.90 (19)    wch 19 – 13    2020 S.C. – 7  88 Rio - 12
  8. Apostolos PapastamosGRE   4.11.93 (19)    wch 19 – x      2020 S.C. – x  01 S

1. Lewis Clareburt          NZL    4.12.07 (19)    wch 19 – 3      2020 S.C. – 25 99
  2. Jacob Heidtmann       GER    4.12.40 (20)    wch 19 – x      2020 S.C. – 14 94 S   Rio - DSQ (but not for doping, some stroke technic issues, If I remember correctly )
  3. Yuki Ikari                   JPN     4.12.54 (19)    wch 19 – x      2020 S.C. – x  00
  4.             Peter Bernek               HUN   4.12.80 (19)    wch 19 – 5      2020 S.C. – x 92
  5. Jeremy Desplanches   SUI     4.12.86 (19)    wch 19 – x      2020 S.C. – x 94 Rio - 13
  6. Joan Lluis Pons Ramon ESP 4.13.30 (19)    wch 19 – 4      2020 S.C. – 16 96 S Rio - 8
  7. Arjan Knipping          NED   4.13.46 (19)    wch 19 – 8      2020 S.C. – 36 94
  8. Brandonn Almeida     BRA   4.13.69 (19)    wch 19 – 11    2020 S.C. – 8 97     Rio - 15  

You can find here:

Olympic qualifying time and olympic selection time

Best time in LC since 01/03/2019 (in the qualifying period) - and whether this time was achieved in 19 or 20

Place in LC wch 19

Place in 2020 SC ranking

Year of birth

S at the end means: English Wikipedia says the swimmer has been already selected to the games

Place in Rio 2016

Max 2 swimmers from one NOC allowed, like in the real games

Quite interesting stats for me, I guess

But early thoughts:

No Kosuke Hagino JPN in ranking, Rio - 1, but he is 2nd in 2020 SC ranks, and obviously medal contender

Hard to predict who will qualify for USA - e.g. will be Chase Kalisz, Rio - 2, included in Team Tokyo?

No AUS swimmers???

GBR olympic team also hard to predict - Duncan Scott 1st in 2020 SC ranks, Tom Dean (born 2000) 4h in 2020 SC ranks

No POL swimmers, but it will not change in this event, I'm afraid

Dark horse out of top 16 yet - IMHO: Maxim Stupin RUS (born 2000)

More still to come, we will see where we get from here...

I think your rankings are wrong, for example you forgot Hayang (who could be a dark horse alongside Foster). Also I don’t think that Scott (or Dean) will swim the 400 IM, but who knows ...

18 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

My predictions for athletics - early draft (will be changed for sure, too)

Fri 30/7

M 10,000m - 1. Joshua Cheptegei UGA 2. Yomif Kejelcha ETH 3. Hagos Gebhriwet ETH

Sat 31/7

M Discus Throw - 1. Daniel Stahl SWE 2. Fedrick Dacres JAM 3. Andrus Gudzius LTU

Mixed 4x400m Relay - 1. United States 2. Jamaica 3. Bahamas

W 100m - 1. Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce JAM 2. Elaine Thompson JAM 3. Dina Asher-Smith GBR

Sun 1/8

W Shot Put - 1. Gong Lijiao CHN 2. Danniel Thomas-Dodd JAM 3. Chase Ealey USA

M High Jump - 1. Mutaz Essa Barshim QAT 2. Maksim Nedasekau BLR 3. Brandon Starc AUS

W Triple Jump - 1. Yulimar Rojas VEN 2. Shanieka Ricketts JAM 3. Liadagmis Povea CUB

M 100m - 1. Noah Lyles USA 2. Andre De Grasse CAN 3. Akani Simbine RSA

Mon 2/8

M Long Jump - 1. Juan Miguel Echevarria CUB 2. Tajay Gayle JAM 3. Yuki Hashioka JPN

W 100m Hurdles - 1. Kendra Harrison USA 2. Danielle Williams JAM 3. Nia Ali USA

W Discus Throw - 1. Sandra Perkovic CRO 2. Yaime Perez CUB 3. Valarie Allman USA

M 3000m Steeplechase - 1. Soufiane El Bakkali MAR 2. Conseslus Kipruto KEN 3. Lamecha Girma ETH

W 5000m - 1. Hellen Obiri KEN 2. Sifan Hassan NED 3. Konstanze Klosterhalfen GER

Tue 3/8

W Long Jump - 1. Malaika Mihambo GER 2. Ivana Spanovic SRB 3. Ese Brume NGR

M 400m Hurdles - 1. Karsten Warholm NOR 2. Rai Benjamin USA 3. Abderrahman Samba QAT

M Pole Vault - 1. Armand Duplantis SWE 2. Sam Kendricks USA 3. Piotr Lisek POL

W Hammer Throw - 1. DeAnna Price USA 2. Brooke Andersen USA 3. Alexandra Tavernier FRA

W 800m - 1. Jemma Reekie GBR 2. Halimah Nakaayi UGA 3. Ajee Wilson USA

W 200m - 1. Dina Asher-Smith GBR 2. Elaine Thompson JAM 3. Sha'Carri Richardson USA

Wed 4/8

W 400m Hurdles - 1. Dalilah Muhammad USA 2. Sydney McLaughlin USA 3. Femke Bol NED

W 3000m Steeplechase - 1. Hyvin Kiyeng KEN 2. Beatrice Chepkoech KEN 3. Emma Coburn USA

M Hammer Throw - 1. Paweł Fajdek POL 2. Wojciech Nowicki POL 3. Bence Halasz HUN

M 800m - 1. Donovan Brazier USA 2. Nijel Amos BOT 3. Amel Tuka BIH

M 200m - 1. Noah Lyles USA 2. Michael Norman USA 3. Divine Odudoru NGR

Thu 5/8

M Triple Jump - 1. Christian Taylor USA 2. Pedro Pablo Pichardo POR 3. Hugues Fabrice Zango BUR

M Shot Put - 1. Tomas Walsh NZL 2. Ryan Crouser USA 3. Darlan Romani BRA

M 110m Hurdles - 1. Grant Holloway USA 2. Orlando Ortega ESP 3. Sergey Shubenkov RUS

M 20km Race Walk - no idea yet ;-)

W Pole Vault - 1. Anzhelika Sidorova RUS 2. Sandi Morris USA 3. Katie Nageotte USA

M 400m - 1. Fred Kerley USA 2. Steven Gardiner BAH 3. Kirani James GRN

W Heptathlon - 1. Katarina Johnson-Thompson GBR 2. Nafissatou Thiam BEL 3. Erica Boguard USA

M Decathlon - 1. Niklas Kaul GER 2. Kevin Mayer FRA 3. Damian Warner CAN

Fri 6/8

M 50km Race Walk - no idea yet ;-)

W 20km Race Walk - no idea yet ;-)

W Javelin Throw - 1. Lyu Huihui CHN 2. Tatsiana Khaladovich BLR 3. Maria Andrejczyk POL

M 5000m - 1. Joshua Cheptegei UGA 2. Selemon Barega ETH 3. Mohammed Ahmed CAN

W 400m - 1. Shaunae Miller-Uibo BAH 2. Shericka Jackson JAM 3. Phyllis Francis USA
W 1500m - 1. Faith Kipyegon KEN 2. Gudaf Tsegay ETH 3. Sofia Ennaoui POL

W 4x100m Relay - 1. Jamaica 2. United States 3. Great Britain

M 4x100m Relay - 1. United States 2. Great Britain 3. Jamaica

Sat 7/8

W Marathon - no idea yet ;-)

W High Jump - 1. Mariya Lasitskene RUS 2. Yaroslava Mahuchikh UKR 3. Yuliya Levchenko UKR

W 10,000m - 1. Sifan Hassan NED 2. Letesenbet Gidey ETH 3. Hitomi Niiya JPN

M Javelin Throw - 1. Johannes Vetter GER 2. Magnus Kirt EST 3. Neeraj Chopra IND

M 1500m - 1. Timothy Cheruiyot KEN 2. Jakob Ingebrigtsen NOR 3. Marcin Lewandowski POL

W 4x400m Relay - 1. United States 2. Poland 3. Jamaica

M 4x400m Relay - 1. United States 2. Jamaica 3. Belgium

Sun 8/8

M Marathon - no idea yet ;-)

The same as for swimming:

Men:

10000 m: No medal for Kiplimo/Kipruto?

High jump: Would be very surprised to see Starc winning a medal. I think Russia will win at least one medal.

Long jump: I don’t see Hashioka winning a medal. What about Henderson/Manyonga/Tentoglou? Did they retire/get caught?

200 m: Would be very surprised to see Odudoru winning a medal. Maybe De Grasse for bronze. Sani Brown winning a medal would be nice.

Triple jump: No medal for Claye?

Shot put: No medal for Kovacs?

400 m: I think Norman will medal.

5000 m: No medal for Kiplimo?

4 x 100 m: I don’t think that Jamaica will medal, I would go with Japan.

Women:

Discus: I would pick Caballero over Allman.

5000 m: No medal for the world record holder?

200 m: I think Miller-Uibo wins a medal if she competes.

3000 m SC: I don’t see Kiyeng winning a medal. Even Krause seems like a more likely option.

400 m: No medal for Naser?

1500 m: Ennaoui ...? I think that there are at least 10 girls who are more likely to medal than her.

10000 m: A medal for Japan would be one of the biggest surprises in Olympic history. Even if Kenya and Ethiopia would be banned, she wouldn’t be a favorite for a medal.

21 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

My predictions for swimming (early draft - will be changed for sure)

Sun 25/7

M 400 IM - 1. Daiya Seto JPN 2. Kosuke Hagino JPN 3. Apostolos Papastamos GRE

M 400 Free - 1. Danas Rapsys LTU 2. Elijah Winington AUS 3. Gabriele Detti ITA

W 400 IM - 1. Katinka Hosszu HUN 2. Yui Ohashi JPN 3. Shiwen Ye CHN

W 4x100 Free - 1. Australia 2. United States 3. Canada

Mon 26/7

W 100 Fly - 1. Margaret MacNeil CAN 2. Sarah Sjostrom SWE 3. Zhang Yufei CHN

M 100 Breast - 1. Adam Peaty GBR 2. Arno Kamminga NED 3. Ilya Shymanovich BLR

W 400 Free - 1. Ariarne Titmus AUS 2. Katie Ledecky USA 3. Leah Smith USA

M 4x100 Free - 1. United States 2. Australia 3. Russia

Tue 27/7

M 200 Free - 1. Danas Rapsys LTU 2. Duncan Scott GBR 3. Katsuhiro Matsumoto JPN

W 100 Back - 1. Regan Smith USA 2. Kaylee McKeown AUS 3. Kylie Masse CAN

M 100 Back - 1. Xu Jiayu CHN 2. Kliment Kolesnikov RUS 3. Ryan Murphy USA

W 100 Breast - 1. Lilly King USA 2. Yulia Yefimova RUS 3. Benedetta Pilato ITA

Wed 28/7

W 200 Free - 1. Ariarne Titmus AUS 2. Emma McKeon AUS 3. Federica Pellegrini ITA and Siobhan Haughey HKG ex aequo* ;-)

M 200 Fly - 1. Kristof Milak HUN 2. Daiya Seto JPN 3. Tamas Kenderesi HUN

W 200 IM - 1. Kaylee McKeown AUS 2. Katinka Hosszu HUN 3. Sydney Pickrem CAN

W 1500 Free - 1. Katie Ledecky USA 2. Wang Jianjiahe CHN 3. Simona Quadarella ITA

M 4x200 Free - 1. Australia 2. United States 3. Russia

Thu 29/7

M 800 Free - 1. Gregorio Paltrinieri ITA 2. Henrik Christiansen NOR 3. Jack McLoughlin AUS

M 200 Breast - 1. Anton Chupkov RUS 2. Kirill Prigoda RUS 3. Ippei Watanabe JPN

W 200 Fly - 1. Regan Smith USA 2. Zhang Yufei CHN 3. Hali Flickinger USA

M 100 Free - 1. Duncan Scott GBR 2. Caeleb Dressel USA 3. Andrei Minakov RUS

W 4x200 Free - 1. Australia 2. United States 3. Canada

Fri 30/7

W 200 Breast - 1. Yuliya Yefimova RUS 2. Lilly King USA 3. Annie Lazor USA

M 200 Back - 1. Evgeny Rylov RUS 2. Ryan Murphy USA 3. Mitchell Larkin AUS

W 100 Free - 1. Simone Manuel USA 2. Cate Campbell AUS 3. Emma McKeon AUS

M 200 IM - 1. Daiya Seto JPN 2. Andrew Seliskar USA 3. Wang Shun CHN

Sat 31/7

M 100 Fly - 1. Caeleb Dressel USA 2. Andrei Minakov RUS 3. Chad le Clos RSA

W 200 Back - 1. Regan Smith USA 2. Kaylee McKeown AUS 3. Kylie Masse CAN

W 800 Free - 1. Katie Ledecky USA 2. Ariarne Titmus AUS 3. Wang Jianjiahe CHN

Mixed 4x100 Med - 1. United States 2. Australia 3. Russia

Sun 1/8

M 50 Free - 1. Caeleb Dressel USA 2. Florent Manaudou FRA 3. Kristian Gkolomeev GRE

W 50 Free - 1. Sarah Sjostrom SWE 2. Simone Manuel USA 3. Katarzyna Wasick POL and Ranomi Kromowidjojo NED ex aequo* ;-)

M 1500 Free - 1. Gregorio Paltrinieri ITA 2. Florian Wellbrock GER 3. Franko Grgic CRO

W 4x100 Med - 1. United States 2. Australia 3. Canada

M 4x100 Med - 1. United States 2. Great Britain 3. Russia

I will maybe post my full „analysis“ later, but here are my biggest „problems“ with your predictions:

Men:

400 IM: I don’t see Papastamos winning a medal. If you want to pick a young guy, you should rather go for Borodin.

400 free: Both Horton and Yang not winning a medal seems pretty unlikely.

4 x 100 free: I don’t see Australia winning a medal. I would pick Russia for silver and Brazil for bronze.

4 x 200 free: I think that GB will medal (instead of Russia)

100 breast: A medal for Prigoda seems extremely unlikely. I think Chupkov will win gold and then the other medals will be between the two Japanese guys, the two Australian guys and maybe Kamminga.

100 free: Gold for Scott seems very unlikely. I think it will be Dressel - Chalmers - Minakov/Morozov/Grinev/Scott/2nd American guy.

200 IM: Silver for Seliskar seems very unlikely, I doubt that he will even qualify. I think Scott/Larkin/Andrew/Hagino/Desplanches and maybe a couple other guys are all more likely to medal than Seliskar.

Women:

400 IM: I think Margalis will medal.

200 IM: I don’t see McKeown winning a medal or even competing, but who knows ...

My prediction would be Hosszu + Ye + Margalis/Japanese girl.

50 free: Wasick winning a medal would be a big surprise for me. I think Blume, Campbell and the Chinese girl are all more likely to medal (apart from Sjöstrom and Manuel).

17 hours ago, EupenM said:

http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/men/2020/news/way-too-early-predictions-for-the-olympics-who-will-qualify-and-who-will-impress-in-tokyo

Interesting article about qualification/final tournament. It's interesting that some predictors even don't belive that :SRB will qualify!

Interesting that no one predicts Germany to qualify. I hope that the German team will prove them wrong.

17 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

My predictions for some team sports - early draft, many changes still to come.

Teams not qualified yet - I marked with *

M Volleyball - 1. United States 2. Poland 3. Russia

W Volleyball - 1. China 2. Serbia 3. Italy

M Basketball - 1. United States 2. Spain 3. Greece*

W Basketball - 1. United States 2. Australia 3. Spain

M Handball - 1. Spain 2. Croatia* 3. France*

W Handball - 1. Norway* 2. France 3. Netherlands

M Football - 1. Spain 2. France 3. Egypt

W Football - 1. United States 2. Netherlands 3. Japan

M Rugby 7s - 1. Fiji 2. New Zealand 3. South Africa

W Rugby 7s - 1. New Zealand 2. Australia 3. Canada

The rest still to come... But I know some people here know much more than me about field hockey or water polo ;-))))

I invite you all to this discussion. ;-)

Men’s basketball: I would pick France/Australia/Serbia instead of Greece.

Men‘s football: I would pick Brazil instead of Egypt.

Men‘s handball: I think at least one out of Norway/Denmark will medal.

3 hours ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Hopefully Bo Kanda Lita Baehre (German Pole Vaulter). He finished 4th at the WC in Doha but far behind the top three. Today he cleared 5,81 metres in Leverkusen. This probably wouldn't be good enough for a medal, but he still has a year to go.

Would be great, but I think at least Duplantis, Kendricks and Lisek are more likely to medal. Maybe also Braz and Morgunov (although he "disappeared" after his great 2018 season). Guttormsen might also surprise next year. Not sure what Baehre's potential is long term, he seems kind of heavy for a pole vaulter.

11 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Cape Town, not Capetown. OK, I'll remember that! In Polish it's Kapsztad.

Do you really think that Madrid (Spain) is among the poor ones and Budapest (Hungary) is not??? Hmm...

Anyway, New York and Budapest would be my no. 4 and 5 proposals for hosting the games.

And I wonder what would you watch on day 14 from German and international perspective?

In german it’s „Kapstadt“.

Hungary is both too poor and too small to host the Olympics, Spain is only too poor (in the sense of „Spain can’t afford to host the Olympics if we‘re being honest“). In my opinion only very few countries should be allowed to host the Olympics (given the insane costs of hosting them):

Summer: USA, GB, China, Japan, France, Germany, South Korea, maybe Netherlands, Australia, Canada

Winter: Norway, Sweden, USA, China, Japan, France, Germany, South Korea, Canada, Switzerland, Austria, Finland, maybe Russia

On day 14 I would watch:
Beach volleyball women‘s medal match (if a German team is involved), hockey women’s medal Match (if Germany is involved), table tennis men’s medal match (if Germany is involved), track cycling women’s sprint, athletics women’s javelin throw & women‘s 4x100 m relay & women‘s 1500 m (if a german athlete is involved), equestrian jumping team qualifier

4 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Off- Topic

If you could choose a city who could host Summer Olympics in future, what would it be? 

But you can choose only a City which hasn't been a host yet. 

For me: CAPETOWN is my first choice. 

Then Warsaw and Boston. 

My list (cities excluded that have already hosted the games or were selected to host them) (no order):

Shanghai

Osaka

New York

Toronto

There are a lot of other beautiful cities that could host them, but their countries are too small (Budapest, Vienna, Singapore) and/or too poor (Cape Town, Johannesburg, Marrakesh, Casablanca, Rabat, Lima, Sao Paulo, Bogota, Santiago, Madrid, Buenos Aires, Istanbul). Saint Petersburg can’t/shouldn’t host them thanks to the ban on Russia.

26 minutes ago, phelps said:

maybe you just missed out on how Quadarella destroyed the Chinese (and all the other) girls at the last world champs...

her expectations are higher than mine, however...she recently said she really thinks she can beat Ledecky over the 1500m and be closer to her than last year in the 800m by next season...

I think she's gone a bit too far, but surely she's better than the Chinese girls (especially if WADA makes a normal, not even beyond average, job) and even than Titmus, who's going to focus on 200m and 400m mainly, using the 800m just for training (she isn't even sure she'll take part in the Olympic 800m, like she said in an interview after the race of last year's worlds)...

Panziera last year was 2nd or 3rd (I don't remember exactly) in the world in terms of clockings and 4th at the world champs, when she underperformed because she was sick (even if we discovered that only months after the event, at the time she only said she had a bad week like it happens sometimes)...

with her PB in Kwangju she would have been 2nd with margin...

behind the untouchable Regan Smith I don't see any other girl out of reach for her...then, anything can happen, as always...but there are not so many girls capable of going down to 2.05...and she's one of them, which to me is enough to say she's a legitimate medal contender...

If you mean:

a) all = everyone except Ledecky

b) destroyed = being less than 1.5 seconds ahead of Titmus (who is 2 years younger than her) and Köhler and only a bit over 2 seconds ahead of Wang (who is 4 years younger than her).
0.7 seconds over 800 m (the time Quadarella beat Titmus by) equals less than 0.1 seconds over 100 m, would you also say that person A destroyed person B if person A was 0.1 seconds ahead of person B in the 100 free? 
It‘s great that Quadarella thinks that she can beat Ledecky, it is probably what she has to tell herself to be motivated, but based on the facts I would say that this opinion has no basis in reality. 
So you are sure that the Chinese girls are doped while Quadarella is clean? Another interesting take ...

We‘ll see about Panziera, time certainly isn’t on her side. Smith and McKeown seem out of reach for her. Ruck and Atherton are both clearly younger than her, so I expect at least one of them will get to 2:05 by 2021. You also have Masse and especially Baker who seem capable of 2:05. Panziera might be a medal contender on paper, but I don’t see her actually winning a medal. The good thing is that we will (if the olympics take place) find out in about 12 months.

2 hours ago, phelps said:

Margherita Panziera in the Women's 200m back and above all, Simona Quadarella in the women's 800m Free...

obviously I'm not talking about Gold, but  Silver and/or Bronze are well possible for them (actually, anything else below Silver for Quadarella would go under the classification "disappointing")...

Panziera: For me her winning a medal would be a huge surprise

Quadarella: Whether something is disappointing or not depends on your expectations, so I would say maybe your expectations are too high. Wang and Titmus are barely slower than her and much younger, so those two overtaking her wouldn’t be a shock by any means.

7 hours ago, phelps said:

super-Saturday, they call it...but to me, it's not so super...

however, from my personal perspective, not to be missed: Swimming (women's 200m Backstroke and 800m Free especially, because of Italian medal chances), Athletics (men's Discus and above all, women's 100m), Fencing (women's Team Sabre, maybe a new medal chance for Italy), Shooting (the "new" Trap Mixed Team event and the women's 3-position Rifle...the first one also with potential medal chances for us), Archery (men's Individual...definitely with Italian medal chances) and RS:X finals in Sailing (once again, an event where we expect our guys to do well)...

a bit behind those events named above, it's "moving day" in the men's Golf tournament, the Mixed Relay in Triathlon, the Badminton final of the day...and everything else happening "today"...:lol:

What do you mean with medals CHANCES in swimming? :mumble:

1 hour ago, CCB said:

Just saw this video on the ARD-site: https://www.sportschau.de/weitere/olympia/video-hoffnung-auf-olympia--beim-doppelvierer-der-maenner-100.html 

Looks like the German Quadrupples are always good when it comes to it. We have to wait for 364 more days till we know the result :-) 

Hopefully ... (the olympics will take place). At least this time Germany isn‘t as dependant on those two boats to bring home medals, the men‘s eight, the men‘s lightweight double sculls and Oliver Zeidler in the men’s single sculls are all in a good position to medal. Sadly Germany is very bad at translating U20/U23 results to the senior level.

On 28/07/2020 at 18:35, CCB said:

Well, in the Women's Quadrupple Sculls Poland has a great chance to win. Germany and Netherlands aren't that good anymore. Biggest threat for Poland: China and Ukraïne. 

We'll see, german quadruple sculls usually deliver at the olympics. I am confident that at least the women will be back strong. Last year they couldn't compete with their best crew, this year Schultze has been replaced by Nwajide. In 2016 the men also came pretty much out of nowhere to win gold. The men's crew also isn't the same as last year, Piontek has been replaced by Naske (former U20 and U23 world champion in men's single sculls). Out of 11 possible golds at the olympics Germany has won 7 golds in men's quadruple sculls, including the last two, so it would be a huge disappointment if they wouldn't at least medal.

Since the introduction of women's rowing in 1976 Germany has always won at least one of the two golds in quadruple sculls, except for 2008. Overall Germany has won 15 out of 22 golds in quadruple sculls (68 %).

4 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

This prediction doesn't have much relevance though. It completely ignores Franko Grgić ...

52 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

Day one is finished. What would you watch on day two? 

I think the highlight will be the men’s 400 IM final with possibly an epic battle between Seto and Hagino.