website statistics

Iḿ watching the replay of yesterday and I think these words are too real to be true: "It is crucial, that the objectives of host cities are fully integrated with those of the Olympic Movement. And it all comes down to one word: sustainability." How did Stockholm lose after such a beloved-Bach-aimed words? :p

Just now, phelps said:

you're just an idiot :redcard::bones:

I'd say he was correct, excluding the word "so". Yes, IOC is corrupted. And yes, the result was expected. But this time the first one doesn't influence the second one, I think.

Just now, Agger said:

As half Swedish, I have no words for how much I would have loved to go to Stockholm and Åre for the Winter Games.

But Italy was the safer choice and considering the last couple of winter Games and the upcoming ones, the safe choice might very well be the right one.

I will keep dreaming of seing the Olympics in Sweden or at least in a Nordic country in my lifetime (Can't really say that I remember Lillehammer (I was 2½ years)). I doubt 2030 will be right, but maybe 2034?

What about Summer Olympics in Denmark? Nobody has such an idea so far?

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process
Posted
1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

With the last news on political italian landscape and with the upcomming Calgary referendum, there is a decent chance the IOC is left with no candicdacy at all for 2026.

If so what do you believe would be the IOC actions ? 

More a less the same they did with YOG 2022 - Bach and his closest circle will offer the organisation of the Games to USA, firstly on backstage talk, then they will announce it to the extraordinary Session in February or March, when they'll get "yes" for further talks, which will be lead until the Lausanne Session in September, when there will be the rubberstamping vote. The USA wanted the Games in 2026, but they decided to concentrate on LA 2028 and postponed the winter plans for 2030, but if there will be no other solution, IOC will give much profit to them so that they could go on with both 2026 and LA 2028. That's how I see it.

I think it was in 2015 when they crossed out the term "discipline" out of the Olympic Charter (as a result of Agenda 2020 which proposed to concentrate more on events). Now Telemark is a new event in one sport (skiing) and it's up to FIS to propose it. The host may propose for their own edition some new sports, for example bandy.

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process
Posted

What is the purpose of permament areas? I understand that they are cheap, but this way Olympics bring nothing new to the host country, as the infrastructure isn't developed with new venues, where young athletes could train. The idea of using existing venues only leads us to giving Olympics to the same cities till the end of the world as many countries has less energy to build new arenas without being sure that they will be used in highest level of competition.