website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

17 minutes ago, Sanjib said:

M Anas gets new NR in 400m of 45.44s in heats. guys we are so close, ishhhh.

oh no :(..................... India has had a bad case of near misses in shooting ( during the asian qualifiers where at least 4 shooters missed by the skin of their teeth ) and now in athletics we seem to have the same phenomena .....................but maybe the 4*400 will make him and arokia be at Rio 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

This needs to stop! AIBA is intolerable now. IOC has to take some tough actions against this boxing body.

Day light robberies have become too mainstream in boxing nowadays which is so sad for sports

2 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

found a link for your reference...page 5 ... https://www.usashooting.org/library/Policies_and_Procedures/OG_Rio_2016_-_ISSF_Qualification_System_EN_-_Version_Feb_2014.pdf

An NOC/ISSF Member Federation may request to change a maximum of one (1) quota place in one (1) event for one (1) quota place in any other event if available and if the NOC does not have the maximum number of quota places for that event.

That refers to exchange of quota place in one event for one in any other event.

When an athlete earns a quota place, it is for the NOC and that NOC can use that quota place to enter any athlete who has MQS. The schedule shows the 18th July as entry deadline for Rio. So, I think we can still make a change in womens 10 m air rifle. 

19 minutes ago, rohan sharma said:

thats what i am saying

Guys, shooting quotas belong to the country, not to the individual. India has 2 quotas earned in 10m air rifle women - by Apurvi and Ayonika. But both quotas belong to India and NRAI can send any two shooters they desire to send, provided the shooter has met the MQS standard. So NRAI can still send Pooja if they so desire.

With that said, there is absolutely no chance of Pooja going. The NRAI is very firm and transparent on its selection policies and they don't change. They on purpose declare the team as early as March (in fact, the orig plan was to declare in Jan, got delayed because of the dealy in the Asian quota tournament) because they believe in providing athletes stability and a worry-free period of training, where their olympic place is assured and thus they can experiment, participate in as many tournaments as they want and skip whatever tournaments they want. Pooja has been doing well, but she's not gonna go to Rio !!!

Just to add to the discussion going on about participation numbers, we had 83 participants in London. If the women's 4x400 relay team qualifies and the golfers qualify and a couple more boxers qualify, we'll get to something like 106-108. That is an increase of 23-25 participants.

Now, that number of 23-25 may look large, but remember that 16 of that is contributed by the women's hockey team and 5 by the women's relay team - both of them sure to be also-rans at the olympics. So, realistically, those 21 athletes actually translate to just 2 quotas, just 2 more events we will be participating in. Further, 2-3 spots will be contributed by Golf which was not a part of London to begin with.

Is that really such an improvement over London, even in participation terms, let alone medal terms ?? Dont think so..Given a choice, I personally would have preferred a contingent of, say, 87, which included the men's archery team than a contingent of 106 which includes 2 also-ran teams. 

So, realistically, the strength of this contingent is very similar to the London contingent. Even in terms of medal prospects, I predict we'll end up with 5-7 medals, as opposed to the lofty prediction of 10 by the babus. 

I feel Jitu and Narsingh are the top level medal prospects and I expect a medal from each of them.

Narsingh proved his pedigree at the world champs (and I read somewhere that at world champs, Jordan Borroughs seeked Narsingh out and said that Narsingh was the only one Borroughs was worried about. If true, that is a huge endorsement).

Jitu's sport is a highly unpredictable sport but he is just an extremely consistent shooter. Even when he doesn't qualify for finals in world cups, he is always at least in the top 15 and within touching distance of qualifying. At the Olympics, where the size of the field will be much smaller, I expect him to make both finals and hopefully return with at least one medal.

Then we have the strong medal contenders - Bindra, Gagan, Women Archery Team, Yogeshwar, Saina, Shiva Thapa - I feel the medal chances for this bunch is around 50% - so let's say we get 3 medals from among these 6.

And then we have the medal hopefuls - all other shooters (including 2nd medal for Jitu), Sandeep Tomar, the 3 female wrestlers, whichever boxers qualify, Dipa, Sindhu, Srikanth, Deepika, Atanu, Bops/Sania, Bops/Paes, Mirabai, men's hockey team - these athletes need to have the performance of their lives at Rio to snatch a medal (just like Vijay Kumar had at London and Joydeep Karmarkar almost did) - not all of them are at the same level (Sindhu has more of a chance than Bops/Paes for example) but hoping for 1 surprise medal from this group

That brings the tally to 6, same as London...