website statistics

Sailing 2021 Discussion Thread

dcro

• 4 months later...

Zsombor Berecz is leading at the men's finn European championship after 8 races, and when he was asked about the races that he won yesterday, he used this opportunity to heavily imply his dissatisfaction with the current state of finn at the Olympics. He said that finn got many great athletes and it's one of the strongest group of a sportsmen in the sailing Olympic program and that finn sailors represent the grand history of the event. He also said that finn got many talented young athletes and they have to get their opportunity to shine at the Olympic Games, and I am sure he isn't just talking about Tokyo. 

47 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Zsombor Berecz is leading at the men's finn European championship after 8 races, and when he was asked about the races that he won yesterday, he used this opportunity to heavily imply his dissatisfaction with the current state of finn at the Olympics. He said that finn got many great athletes and it's one of the strongest group of a sportsmen in the sailing Olympic program and that finn sailors represent the grand history of the event. He also said that finn got many talented young athletes and they have to get their opportunity to shine at the Olympic Games, and I am sure he isn't just talking about Tokyo. 

Oh well. This history card does not work for me in sailing. We are not using cars designed in 1952 anymore.

#banbestmen

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

Oh well. This history card does not work for me in sailing. We are not using cars designed in 1952 anymore.

Sure, but they aren't replacing it with a similar, more modern version of finn, right? Instead there just won't be anything similar for these athletes. 

4 hours ago, Vektor said:

Sure, but they aren't replacing it with a similar, more modern version of finn, right? Instead there just won't be anything similar for these athletes. 

True, but that's how IOC operates these days. "Women are not treated as equals in sailing" can make headlines, "Specific group of male sailors lose their Olympic event" never will.

#banbestmen

34 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

In terms of the number of nations attempting to qualify in Men's Finn it's at the same level as the RS:X and ahead of the two-person boats, but without a female equivalent its days were always numbered

Which is a shame, since Finn sailors are significantly taller and heavier than those competing in Laser... Unless Laser changes design, they will be left with no option other than two person boats.

#banbestmen

11 minutes ago, dcro said:

Which is a shame, since Finn sailors are significantly taller and heavier than those competing in Laser... Unless Laser changes design, they will be left with no option other than two person boats.

I agree there should be another one-person boat.

However, the writing has been on the wall for a long time now. You'd think by at the latest 2012 (when women's boxing was added) that Finn knew that they better start organizing a women's division. It's the same thing with Greco-Roman wrestling. If you don't adapt you are going to be left behind.