website statistics

Central American and Caribbean Games 2018

Olympian1010

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

First confirmed delegations:

:BER Bermuda 24 athletes (link)

:PUR Puerto Rico 356 athletes (Listado-Delegación-BAQ-2018-1.pdf)

:LCA Saint Lucia 13 athletes (link)

Well for a country that ran a donation campaign to send its athletes, Puerto Rico is sending a few to say the least 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Today it was announced that in total 34 events have been cancelled, due to lack of participation of at least 5 NOC's. This also means that Water Ski has been removed from the program.

In many of those, Mexico and the hosts had good prospects to medal, and hasn't been uncommon in the past two editions that other countries (other than Mexico) have removed or not entered their athletes on purpose to hurt their main rivals chances.

Anyway, here's the list of the events that were removed, althoughI'm missing one of the events, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Aquatics - Diving (2) Women's 3m Synchronized Springboard & Women's 10m Synchronized Platform.

Athletics (5): Men's Marathon, Men's 50km Race Walk,  Women's 10,000m, Women's 3,000m Steeplechase & Women's 20km Race Walk

Canoeing (3): Women's K4 500m, Women's C1 200m & Women's C2 500m

Cycling - Track (1): Women's Team Sprint

Gymnastics- Rhythmic (1): Team Event

Gymnastics- Trampoline (1): Women's Synchronized

Modern Pentathlon (2): Women's Relay & Mixed Relay

Roller Sports - Figure Inline Skating (1): Women's Individual Dance

Rowing (1): Women's Pair

Sailing (2): Women's Windsurf & Mixed Lightning Class

Shooting (1): Mixed Trap

Taekwondo - Poomsae (1): Mixed Pairs

Water Skiing (6): Men's Figures, Men's Slalom, Men's Wakeboard, Women's Figures, Women's Slalom & Women's Wakeboard

Weightlifting (6): Men's 77kg Snatch, Men's 77kg Clean & Jerk, Women's 90kg Snatch, Women's 90 Clean & Jerk, Women's +90kg Snatch & Women's +90kg Clean & Jerk.

14 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Today it was announced that in total 34 events have been cancelled, due to lack of participation of at least 5 NOC's. This also means that Water Ski has been removed from the program.

In many of those, Mexico and the hosts had good prospects to medal, and hasn't been uncommon in the past two editions that other countries (other than Mexico) have removed or not entered their athletes on purpose to hurt their main rivals chances.

Anyway, here's the list of the events that were removed, althoughI'm missing one of the events, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Aquatics - Diving (2) Women's 3m Synchronized Springboard & Women's 10m Synchronized Platform.

Athletics (5): Men's Marathon, Men's 50km Race Walk,  Women's 10,000m, Women's 3,000m Steeplechase & Women's 20km Race Walk

Water Skiing (6): Men's Figures, Men's Slalom, Men's Wakeboard, Women's Figures, Women's Slalom & Women's Wakeboard

Weightlifting (6): Men's 77kg Snatch, Men's 77kg Clean & Jerk, Women's 90kg Snatch, Women's 90 Clean & Jerk, Women's +90kg Snatch & Women's +90kg Clean & Jerk.

Of Course this happens right when I start to get excited by the games. I saw the results from the Waterski qualification, and only Mexico, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and the Dominican Rep. sent athletes, so I figured it would be cut. The team and mixed events being cut doesn’t shock me too much, except that some of them act as qualifications to the Pan Am Games. The lack of woman is sad, but unfortunately expected after a similar trend at the Mediterranean Games. The Weightlifting perplexes me, because many of these nations are strong Weightlifting countries. I am sad they had to cut this many events though, because I was ready for a mini Pan Am Games, and to see some of these events in action before the Pan Am Games. 

P.S: I would like to remind people that only two nations even medaled at the first edition of games. 

With that said I believe we should keep events on the program that have a)over three or more countries or b) are important to the expansion of women in sports or c) the event is expected to be popular in the host nation, or the host nation wants to use the event to develop interest in it.

Overall the games will still large, but there will be something missing.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

16 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Of Course this happens right when I start to get excited by the games. I saw the results from the Waterski qualification, and only Mexico, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and the Dominican Rep. sent athletes, so I figured it would be cut. The team and mixed events being cut doesn’t shock me too much, except that some of them act as qualifications to the Pan Am Games. The lack of woman is sad, but unfortunately expected after a similar trend at the Mediterranean Games. The Weightlifting perplexes me, because many of these nations are strong Weightlifting countries. I am sad they had to cut this many events though, because I was ready for a mini Pan Am Games, and to see some of these events in action before the Pan Am Games. 

P.S: I would like to remind people that only two nations even medaled at the first edition of games. 

With that said I believe we should keep events on the program that have a)over three or more countries or b) are important to the expansion of women in sports or c) the event is expected to be popular in the host nation, or the host nation wants to use the event to develop interest in it.

Overall the games will still large, but there will be something missing.

None of these events are qualifiers for Lima 2019

52 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Now the program will include a total of 436 events, 218 for men, 195 for women, 24 are mixed

21 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Surprised athletic events got cut...

Realistically Colombia, Cuba, Mexico and Venezuela should be present in all events (or at least 3/4) so it is surprising that so many events couldn't find a fifth nation.

I think it was more an unwillingness of a fifth nation out a fear of being beaten badly more than finding athletes. I also think that many countries, although the Americas and Asia are far ahead of others, had or still have sexist attitudes towards women in sports. It’s a shame because women’s competitions can just as competitive or exciting to watch as a men’s competition. I would that in this case however, it is more of lack of resources for women’s programs that kept these events out. Waterskiing is also pretty expensive for low GDP and developing nations.