website statistics

Team GB Debrief

3 minutes ago, George_D said:

GB team had the most medals in total after USA and China. This is the most important. Some times diferrence between a gold and a silver is too small. In next Olympics we might see 60-65 medals and 20+ golds for example

I’d personally agree. Though there’s quite a few that use golds as the only success metric, so here’s to the paralympics and LA where we can celebrate more amazing people while I smash a few wines and some crisps 

Just now, G-ann said:

I’d personally agree. Though there’s quite a few that use golds as the only success metric, so here’s to the paralympics and LA where we can celebrate more amazing people while I smash a few wines and some crisps 

i didnt say the opposite, i meant that when a team is in a status to secure so big number of medals then it can hope for enough golds too. The reason that this didnt happen at this olympics was bad luck for me. I am sure it will happen in 2028 and GB will be 3rd in medal tally

15 minutes ago, George_D said:

GB team had the most medals in total after USA and China. This is the most important. Some times diferrence between a gold and a silver is too small. In next Olympics we might see 60-65 medals and 20+ golds for example

GB also fourth on the Top 8 Finishes table.

NOC points
total top8
USA 1193 226
CHN 846 155
FRA 699 150
GBR 681 136
ITA 556 120
AUS 541 109
JPN 532 115
GER 491 117
NED 382 76
CAN 341 79
KOR 333 66
ESP 296 69
BRA 247 57
HUN 238 51
NZL 232 53

10 minutes ago, George_D said:

I think both are important.

Like, I'm not going to criticise Australia and the Netherlands for being delighted with their gold figures in Paris. They should be rightly proud.

Equally, I think we should be rightly proud of our overall performance, especially in terms of total medals.

Other countries can be proud of their first medal, or in some cases their first final. There's not a limit to happiness!

In related news, I'm pleased with the comments coming out of UK Sport, looking at both their own website and the Beeb story about the athletes coming back from the Games. I still hope that they (and the various sports) have the sensible tough discussions that all good governance should have but also that a "win at all costs" mentality is not necessarily conducive to healthy environments.

1 minute ago, Grassmarket said:

GB also fourth on the Top 8 Finishes table.

NOC points
total top8
USA 1193 226
CHN 846 155
FRA 699 150
GBR 681 136
ITA 556 120
AUS 541 109
JPN 532 115
GER 491 117
NED 382 76
CAN 341 79
KOR 333 66
ESP 296 69
BRA 247 57
HUN 238 51
NZL 232 53

Which is even more impressive when you realise that some of France's top 8s were effectively guaranteed by being the host nation.

13 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

I think both are important.

Like, I'm not going to criticise Australia and the Netherlands for being delighted with their gold figures in Paris. They should be rightly proud.

Equally, I think we should be rightly proud of our overall performance, especially in terms of total medals.

Other countries can be proud of their first medal, or in some cases their first final. There's not a limit to happiness!

In related news, I'm pleased with the comments coming out of UK Sport, looking at both their own website and the Beeb story about the athletes coming back from the Games. I still hope that they (and the various sports) have the sensible tough discussions that all good governance should have but also that a "win at all costs" mentality is not necessarily conducive to healthy environments.

Yeah, but do you think Jeremiah Azu feels better about his solo 100m performance than one of the other Olympians who came fourth?  I don’t really buy into this whole “elite sport as a self-esteem” exercise.  There are far cheaper & less public ways to feeling good about yourself.

9 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Yeah, but do you think Jeremiah Azu feels better about his solo 100m performance than one of the other Olympians who came fourth?  I don’t really buy into this whole “elite sport as a self-esteem” exercise.  There are far cheaper & less public ways to feeling good about yourself.

Just don't get caught buying it a la Aussie Hockey players? 

Anyway, finally have a mostly complete heatmap (my age rabbithole continues...)

image.png

There is a pleasing trend towards older athletes getting medals and then plenty of younger ones on the way! (It also confirms I am now past any hope of Olympic glory...) 

Full dashboard here: https://lookerstudio.google.com/reporting/04df8548-3fcf-43e0-884e-3724f9bc0ce1

40 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

I'm sure he doesn't. But I'm sure that he feels better for the relay and probably wouldn't have benefitted if they had spent the entire week just telling him what an idiot he was for the FS.

Maybe they did. Who knows?

The point isn't to criticise winning but criticising winning at all costs (and therefore, by default, writing off those that didn't win but only got bronze or a top 8 finish as not worthy of admiration).

32 minutes ago, G-ann said:

image.png

There is a pleasing trend towards older athletes getting medals and then plenty of younger ones on the way! (It also confirms I am now past any hope of Olympic glory...) 

Full dashboard here: https://lookerstudio.google.com/reporting/04df8548-3fcf-43e0-884e-3724f9bc0ce1

Dammit. Had I made it to Paris I'd still have been in with a shot, but LA looks like I'll be aged out!

37 minutes ago, G-ann said:

image.png

At least you have a shot at the Excel World Championships, top work!

Edited by Olympicsnell