website statistics

2024 Olympics - Day 16 (August 11)

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Can’t really complain about McIntosh being selected as one of them, given the incredible Olympics she’s had, but I can’t help but feel sad that Black never got her opportunity. No Olympic medals, but an incredible athlete, has all of the values of a person that want to be representing your country, not to mention that this could be her final Olympics. 

Black definitively deserves recognition, she's done so much for artistic gymnastics in Canada.

44 minutes ago, Josh said:

Can’t really complain about McIntosh being selected as one of them, given the incredible Olympics she’s had, but I can’t help but feel sad that Black never got her opportunity. No Olympic medals, but an incredible athlete, has all of the values of a person that want to be representing your country, not to mention that this could be her final Olympics. 

I totally called it in Tokyo. When Biles withdrew, I said she'd come back for the beam and knock Ellie off the podium, which is exactly what happened. Not mad at Biles, just sad for Ellie. That was her one great shot. 

Not really sure there’s a topic that fits what I’m about to say, but do we have any youth stars primed for success that I should keep an eye out for on the road to LA 2028?

Based on the results of these Olympics, I think it's realistic for :CAN to aim for a top 10 in LA.

In Tokyo it felt like we had better than expected Olympics. This time we did even better and it feels like we under-performed a little bit.

42 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Based on the results of these Olympics, I think it's realistic for :CAN to aim for a top 10 in LA.

In Tokyo it felt like we had better than expected Olympics. This time we did even better and it feels like we under-performed a little bit.

A lot goes into it, but a home-continent Olympics helps. First summer home-continent Olympics since 1996 which was our medal haul record until Tokyo. 

Edit: No, I don't count Rio as home-continent no matter what the IOC says. It's a longer flight than Europe, it's a different season and no time zone most of Canada is used to. 

Edited by orangeman

12 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Edit: No, I don't count Rio as home-continent no matter what the IOC says. It's a longer flight than Europe, it's a different season and no time zone most of Canada is used to

As someone from :NBR I deeply resent this Eastern Canada erasure!

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Not really sure there’s a topic that fits what I’m about to say, but do we have any youth stars primed for success that I should keep an eye out for on the road to LA 2028?

Anyone?

7 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Christopher Morales-Williams
Laon Kim

Summer Mcintosh

Isabella Holmgren 

Charlotte Simoneau (weightlifting)

Just of the top of my head

Etta Love is another one in weightlifting. I’ll also add Dylan Bibic.