website statistics

2024 Olympics - Day 14 (August 9)

4 hours ago, orangeman said:

I don't think that'll last past today. A silver in beach volleyball puts us back ahead of them, and that's "worst case scenario". 

:CAN realistically needs two more gold medals to stay past :NZL. They will win another Canoeing gold courtesy of Dame Lisa Carrington, and Lydia Ko is looking like the favourite to win women's golf (I would be reasonably happy with that outcome, medal standing implications asside, she would be a really worthy winner)

Just now, NearPup said:

:CAN realistically needs two more gold medals to stay past :NZL. They will win another Canoeing gold courtesy of Dame Lisa Carrington, and Lydia Ko is looking like the favourite to win women's golf (I would be reasonably happy with that outcome, medal standing implications asside, she would be a really worthy winner)

Agree, though I wouldn’t say Carrington winning gold is a sure thing, as compatriot Fischer is also the one of the two joint heavy favourites for gold. 

1 hour ago, orangeman said:

Hey, if it gets us a gold, I'll love it forever. 

If :CAN Phil Wizzard wins gold there is a good chance this will be only the second summer sport where Canada leads the medal table xD

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

If :CAN Phil Wizzard wins gold there is a good chance this will be only the second summer sport where Canada leads the medal table xD

Japan might have something to say about that :p

Just now, Josh said:

Japan might have something to say about that :p

Agreed that :JPN is favourite to lead the medal table, that being said there is a decent chance two different countries end up winning the men's and women's event and no other medal.

15 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Well, two more is doable just today, but I'm not counting chickens. I'm not really concerned with beating NZ honestly. If Canada exceeds their non-boycotted records in total and golds I will be very, very happy. I saw anywhere from 20/5 to 30/10, and they're right in there now. That's pretty impressive considering some of the disappointments we've had. 

3 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Well, two more is doable just today, but I'm not counting chickens. I'm not really concerned with beating NZ honestly. If Canada exceeds their non-boycotted records in total and golds I will be very, very happy. I saw anywhere from 20/5 to 30/10, and they're right in there now. That's pretty impressive considering some of the disappointments we've had. 

Ya, eight gold medals is the point where I will personally consider these Olympics a success for Canada regardless of the details or where we end up on the medal table.

Would be nice to be 11th again tho :P