website statistics

Team GB Daily: Day 7

I didn't see the splits earlier but it looked to me like like Litchfield did a pretty good job. Guy however off the pace in the individual 100 Fly.

Just now, Rich said:

Funnily, with my relative lack of knowledge compared to some of you guys, I was pretty optimistic having seen her over the years. I assume her recent form hasn't been great?

No it's my own lack of knowledge haha.

1 minute ago, JamDH said:

I didn't see the splits earlier but it looked to me like like Litchfield did a pretty good job. Guy however off the pace in the individual 100 Fly.

Splits were:

Dawson - 1:00.18

Wilby - 59.35

Litchfield - 51.37

Hopkin - 52.83

Fair play to Joe, even with the relay takeover, that's about as solid a split as could be hoped. Compares positively to Jimmy's 52.23 in the individual.

Makes Peters disaster at trials even more frustrating though.

8 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Not on this season's form it wasn't. Her SB was only 1.93m, so she would have had to equal it effectively. I'm sure she's disappointed but this wasn't a shock.

There were other big names that missed out - 2 of the 5 women who beat her in Rome last month join her in looking at the final as a spectator, one of whom was also World Indoor bronze. It's tough at this level!

All true and she's good enough to deserve her place but Morgan is one of those athletes it feels could, and should, have done more. She's been very good at staying fit in general but could she have pushed harder? Has she worked hard enough on her mental preparation?

I'm sure there have been challenges (it's been hinted, correct me if I'm wrong, that Dad pushed her too hard and as a junior she never looked happy and has said the multis basically traumatised her) but have you ever seen her carry herself with the confidence of a champion? Even at UK champs?

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

All true and she's good enough to deserve her place but Morgan is one of those athletes it feels could, and should, have done more. She's been very good at staying fit in general but could she have pushed harder? Has she worked hard enough on her mental preparation?

I'm sure there have been challenges (it's been hinted, correct me if I'm wrong, that Dad pushed her too hard and as a junior she never looked happy and has said the multis basically traumatised her) but have you ever seen her carry herself with the confidence of a champion? Even at UK champs?

I think that's an interesting point about the psychology of it all and what difference that might make.

You could well be right about that. But, of course, maybe she *is* getting everything out of her body and this is just her way of controlling her emotions to ensure she puts out the best that she can.

Personally I'm not convinced that body language etc matters that much. I've seen KJT look miserable but still perform and I've seen countless sprinters look like they could fight the world and then trail in last. But I do agree that it could matter somewhat.