website statistics

Team GB Daily: Day 7

3 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

What a day we are having!

Has the windsurfing been cancelled for the day?

Yes

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

5 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

Any truth in that they have to race tomorrow or the class is settled as it stands?

I'm pretty sure it's tomorrow

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

53 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

I need to remember to breathe during these Gold medal chances. If I try to hold it for Wilson I doubt ill make it.

Had a bit of a kip & behold, another Gold Medal.

Edited by Grassmarket

2 hours ago, Rich said:

All true and she's good enough to deserve her place but Morgan is one of those athletes it feels could, and should, have done more. She's been very good at staying fit in general but could she have pushed harder? Has she worked hard enough on her mental preparation?

I'm sure there have been challenges (it's been hinted, correct me if I'm wrong, that Dad pushed her too hard and as a junior she never looked happy and has said the multis basically traumatised her) but have you ever seen her carry herself with the confidence of a champion? Even at UK champs?

She may suffer a touch from what i'd call Emily Pidgeon syndrome (Jodie Williams is another victim) where you are 'discovered' early, and quickly get top level support, equipment, process, coaching (especially if dad is a pro coach). You then quickly get seen as a prodigy at junior level, with the expectation that once you turn adult pro, you join the elite quickly...

Sometime you do, but quite often what has happened is that you have had access to all the good stuff your peers have not, so you run miles ahead of them, but as time goes on, some of those peers start getting that support and progress to catch, and even pass you, while you plateau because you have no further marginal gains to call on.

Quite a few superstar juniors in GB have had that problem. someone like a Harry Areetey-Aikines is a slightly different issue, in that he simply physically matured much much sooner than his peers, and so seemed to be better than them...once they caught up in maturity, they passed him.

I think there a lot of truth to what you say @mpjmcevoy but I've never felt frustrated by Jodie or Harry in the same way. Jodie always seems to get injured when she's on the cusp of something and seems to be a woman that knows who she is and is very happy with that. I don't think Harry has ever looked unhappy in his whole life. Pidgeon  never really had a senior career for me to feel frustrated by.

@Epic Failure is right that body language may not mean anything but it does at least  impact the way I feel about sportspeople. The fact Morgan also says some things that I can't understand ('thinking about the final'?? Come on, this isn't your first champs!).

I thought this season was going to be better: coached by Robbie G, saying positive things, approaching the bar with more intent, best Champs last year...

It all adds up to a feeling of underachievement.

All that said, if she sticks with the sport because she wants to, not because she doesn't know what else to do with herself, I still believe she'll clear 2m before she's done.